IGNORED

Playing with really, really, really bad players

Note:Β This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

The original story sounds fabricated anyway... From the tips... Lol!!

People who play from the back tees "for the challenge", "to see the whole course", or "to play like a man" are far more common than you appear to think. Especially on courses where they only have three different tees, the back tees are far more commonly used than the others by many who should be playing from the forward tees based off of handicap.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I often see bad players playing ONE set of tees longer than they should .. blue tees instead of white, etc. But this may have been the first time I've seen players TWO tees further back than where they should have been. In this incident, the players wanted to play from the black tees (the tips) when they should driven past the blacks . . . then past the blues . . . and on to the whites . . . or maybe kept going to the yellow (senior) tees.

A good rule of thumb might be that if you hit from the tips and can't get the ball past the whites . . . move up to the whites.

But golf course managers, starters, and rangers I've talked to seem to believe that when someone is paying a lot of money to play the course, they get to choose their own tees.

On this particular course, there was not a huge yardage difference between the whites, blues, and blacks, except on the par-3s and a few other holes. It was more of an ego thing for them.

FYI, I'm an 80-shooter and on most courses I play from the blues (or whatever the second-longest set is), and I usually find that's just about right.

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R9-460, 10.5 degrees, graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: MacGregor 1025 V-Foil forged irons, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados mallet, 35 inches with SuperStroke 2.0 gripΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Ball: Titleist AVX yellowΒ 

Β 

Β 

It's miserable playing with hacks. I dont know how else to say it. I could care less what equipment they use or what they dress like... But golf sucks playing with dudes that shoot 120. Period. I'd rather go surfing or fishing.

Okay, that's pretty clear.:-D I'd rather surf too, but I'm too old and would slow everyone down. :-P

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Been surfing my entire life. Never too old to surf. Golf is great, but it is ridiculously expensive. Just the way it is. You just have to adjust your quiver. I don't typically surf shortboard thrusters anymore... But I ride my Al Merrick Channel Islands WaterHog and long boards as often as I can. Taught my daughter how to surf this summer. It's good for the soul... ...and when you politely decline playing with hackers, you can paddle out and ride a few waves... Lol!!!

It's miserable playing with hacks. I dont know how else to say it. I could care less what equipment they use or what they dress like... But golf sucks playing with dudes that shoot 120. Period. I'd rather go surfing or fishing.

Remind me again who has the bad attitude? Right....

Colin P.

The guys that are jealous and whining about hacks equipment I guess?? Or the ones whining about why good players don't like watching hackers grind for hours... But you're struggling to understand the topic...Im assuming you're one of the hacks... So I get your crusade now I guess.. I answered the topic honestly...if you are a very good player, playing with hacks, sucks. Not average golfers but hackers that shoot double par! Lol!! and yes I've seen it..No one has to play with anyone, unless it's a tournament which hacks don't play... same goes for a good player but has a poor attitude and throws clubs etc. I dont have time for it. It is painful to watch someone struggle for hours, and you can't get any rhythm. I score low 70's, so it makes no sense to play with someone shooting 120's... Period. Once again......If it's a family member, company outing or potential client..I'll do it. You're arguing an opinion on playing partner preferences!! Lol! which is comical. Go play with hackers all day.. Have at it. It's your money and time... Enjoy! I'm sure some advanced players don't mind playing with you and watching you slap it all over the course and grind out triple bogeys. Just not me. Sorry.

It is painful to watch someone struggle for hours, and you can't get any rhythm. I score low 70's, so it makes no sense to play with someone shooting 120's... Period.

So don't watch.

Here's the problem - "the course was crowded and there was no place to go".Β  So you could be in a 2 some with someone else that also plays at -2, but you'd still be waiting on the groups in front of you.

so as bad as the 'hacks' were, they weren't slowing down pace of play.Β  they could score 20 each on every hole and if you are waiting on on each tee for the group in front of you to clear, then it's not the 'hacks' that are affecting your rhythm.

I do acknowledge one thing - hanging back while someone hits 3 or 4 shots to catch your one, it can be difficult for me to keep track of where my ball is.Β  In those scenarios, I might go all the way up to my ball and throw down a headcover and then go back and help the others keep track of their many shots.....(or succeed in hitting the fairway more often. :smartass: )

I hate to play slow like anyone else - and I do score worse if pace is slow.Β  But if it's slow and I play worse, I acknowledge that it's MY problem and no one else's fault.Β  I need to learn to focus better and play well regardless of the pace of the round.Β  I made a lot of progress on that last season, it was a lot more fun to have a good round when it was slow, than to whine about it and let it ruin my round.Β  And I really did meet some great people that weren't super good golfers.

as for playing with people with 'bad etiquette' -

1 - if they cheat and it has ZERO impact on my play (i.e., I don't LET it bother me) - then I don't care one bit

2 - if they are rude to the point that they are actively impacting my game (walking in my line, making too much noise, standing in front of me when I have a full swing shot) I politely speak up and 99% of the time they'll cut it out

3 - if it's just playing out of tur, etc, I really don't care one bit....also a choice

Bill -Β 

That's perfectly legal. You are allowed to practice chipping and putting on both the green you just vacated and the next teebox, provided you do not currently have a ball in play (after you holed out and before you teed off).

Huh? Surely this only applies to match play? Pretty sure you can't do it in stroke play. Have I been wrong all this time? O_o

Huh? Surely this only applies to match play? Pretty sure you can't do it in stroke play. Have I been wrong all this time? O_o

Yes. I've done in in multiple tournaments, including the state tournament, and had people try to penalize me for it. The rule (7-2) is copy and pasted from the USGA website into the spoiler from the post a couple down from that one.

He has no idea what he's talking about. It perfectly legal. Just can't practice full shots, like hitting old balls into woods etc. I've also had people who don't know rules try to penalize me for for chipping little 60 wedges next to green during stroke play... and act even dumber when I smile and shake it off. Then someone corrects them... they're always embarrassed and apologetic and they rarely play well afterwards Again.. People worry too much about other people... Their equipment the way they look or what they're doing. Play your own game, play it how it makes you happy and fun, it's simple..

Wow, I would bet at least 95% of golfers aren't aware of this rule. I've certainly never even thought it to be possible to practice during a round. And they never do it on tv, now that I think of it.

Wow, I would bet at least 95% of golfers aren't aware of this rule. I've certainly never even thought it to be possible to practice during a round. And they never do it on tv, now that I think of it.

I've only done it if we were ahead of the previous group and waiting on a group ahead. In other words, only when it doesn't slow my group or another group down.

I've only done it if we were ahead of the previous group and waiting on a group ahead. In other words, only when it doesn't slow my group or another group down.

I still find it hard to believe that I can practice my putting in a tournament - for example if I've just 3-putted and someone else has the honour on the next tee. I wanna believe you, but I'm gonna have to double check this one...:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzel

I still find it hard to believe that I can practice my putting in a tournament - for example if I've just 3-putted and someone else has the honour on the next tee. I wanna believe you, but I'm gonna have to double check this one...:)

The PGA Tour prohibits practice putting by enforcing it as a local rule. But yeah it is legal in just about every other circumstance.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD Β :bridgestone: TD-03 PutterΒ  Β 
:tmade: 300 Tour 3WΒ Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H HybridΒ  Β  Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:tmade: TP MC irons Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:ping: Glide 54 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I copy and pasted the appropriate rule on the last page, but you can find it yourself at http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-07/ It is rule 7-2

It is painful to watch someone struggle for hours, and you can't get any rhythm. I score low 70's, so it makes no sense to play with someone shooting 120's... Period. .

I shoot in the low 70's and I have no problem playing with people who shoot 120's. As long as they keep pace, don't mess around in my backswing and aren't a--holes. Everybody starts off sucking.

• Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I shoot in the low 70's and I have no problem playing with people who shoot 120's. As long as they keep pace, don't mess around in my backswing and aren't a--holes. Everybody starts off sucking.

I agree with you. I'm a hack who shoots in the mid to high 80s, and I'll play with anyone who is funny and plays quickly on their way to a 69...for nine holes. @golfbarefoot seems to have other issues going on. Whatever.

Colin P.

Note:Β This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!