IGNORED

My Progress w/Overspeed Training Using SuperSpeedGolf

Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Somehow the radar came in (I went to the UPS store to pick it up) but the sticks are still en route via UPS truck.  Looking forward to giving this a try later today.

Should I measure driver speed first (using actual driver, which I'm not sure I can swing in my golf room, but I can always take radar to the range) or is that not a big deal?  I'm not sure what I should be charting.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Shindig said:

Should I measure driver speed first (using actual driver, which I'm not sure I can swing in my golf room, but I can always take radar to the range) or is that not a big deal?  I'm not sure what I should be charting.  

I actually don't even measure my driver speed. I use the "light" stick I think and measure my speed with that.

The protocols encourage that, I think. That way I know it's the same length, etc.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

I do the routine then take three swings with each stick and my driver maxing out and write down my highest for each. I was wondering if I was making progress so I charted them the other day and added the trend line so that gave me some motivation to keep going. 

2B5504C0-C271-4E6D-B73D-23E507D5C782.thumb.jpeg.eccc57a4ee8d9a65019749e9712d7a72.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Thank you both for the feedback.  I'll start tracking numbers.

Given my fears of swinging at full speed indoors (the indoor setup is great for working on a priority piece, especially now that I can hit a ball, but not so good for full swings, but that's also a function of my house... a larger room it'd be fine), I think my plan is going to be to take them with me to practice sessions.  If I hit a bucket also, great;  if not, I can always put them in my bag, wander over to the mats, set up the radar and do the SuperSpeed thing, then go chip and putt.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Okay, I have to figure out what I'm going to graph... but for today, I did the intro sequence with the radar (second time overall swinging outside;  swung inside last week but was too paranoid of hitting something to do a full swing).

Abbreviations:  GR = green (lightest) stick, right handed (my dexterity).  GL, BR etc are similar.  I'd be curious what people think of the numbers - do any indicate I might be doing something wrong?

Normal swings:

GR 91 97 89

GL 65 72 71

BR 85 92 91

BL 62 69 77

RR 91 91 91

RL 67 68 68

---

The step thing

GR 90 92 92

GL 69 75 76

BR 91 95 95

BL 75 75 72

RR 85 88 85

RL 66 65 74

---

Then the aggressive swings with green:  96 101 103

Wow... am I supposed to move up that much?  Curious how next session goes.  I will be sure to bring my radar on a regular basis!

I'm sure somewhere in here is some information for what I should record.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 weeks later...

Very anecdotal:  prior to yesterday's round I had done three full sessions with this (plus my indoor attempt).  Driver average was 210 yards, up from 201 yards.  Very anecdotal but I'll be curious (and obviously very happy) if the upward trajectory improves. 

Edit to add:  worth noting two of my drives (holes 14, 17) went through tree leaves at some point, so that had to have affected distance too.  Still, super happy with my driving results!

Edited by Shindig

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 months later...

Just got my swing radar yesterday, I am manually writing each swing speed down, and then taking the average of each set and adding that to an excel sheet, which I'm feeding into Tableau for easy data visualization. Once I have more days I will build out some trends and a dashboard, but these are the numbers I have so far after doing the intro protocol 2 days in a row. 

Each of the numbers below is the average of the 3 swings with that club and that motion. Regular 2 is the final set of 3 swings that you do at the end, I wanted to differentiate them from the regular swings at the beginning.

I am left handed in everything I do except golf, and played baseball for 20 years batting left handed, so it's not surprising to me that some of my left handed swings are just as fast or faster than the right handed ones

image.png

If anyone else that uses SuperSpeed wants to see their progress and has their numbers and can format them the same way as my excel sheet is, let me know and I'd be more than happy to make your own Tableau workbook with your own data in it. I could handle just your set averages like I've done, or every single swing if  you have that too.

This is how I have set up my excel doc, where Date, Club, Motion, Speed, and Hand are in row 1 and the data is below it. 

image.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

It's still early in my SuperSpeed training, but here are my results and trends after 4 sessions

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I updated my progress.

I am now a few weeks into the phase 1 of the training protocol, and I am seeing great results. 

My fastest speed with the Green club has been 126 mph on the step through swings, and I am regularly over 115 with a normal swing of the green club, and can get above 115 on some swings with the blue club as well.

Just to measure my progress, I did some swings with my regular driver without hitting a ball about a week ago, and I reached 111 mph on a smooth, balanced swing, wasn't trying to swing out of my shoes or 110% max effort either. I was consistently in the 108-110 mph range on the rest of the swings, and no single swing was under 107 mph.

Prior to starting SuperSpeed I was right around 100 mph consistently, never higher than 105 mph measured on both the swing speed radar and multiple other launch monitors at various fittings. I have gained at least 5 mph on both the low end and top end of my clubhead speeds in roughly 6 weeks of training.

I'm blown away and can't wait until spring to see how my driving distance will have changed. I do plan on renting a trackman bay at an indoor place at least once this winter so I'll be able to at least get some feedback on how far my yardages have increased.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Nice progress @klineka...

My own progress was stunted by a pinched nerve, and I went to PT and a personal trainer to change my swing. I’m kind of back on track from that. My SS is back to about 103.2 average with my 43” driver, but for the last two rounds had an OTT path 🙈

So, I spend the last 6 range sessions and all my daily practice focusing on my path. During the last two range sessions my ball flight straightened out and started drawing again.

I also started using my son’s Titleist driver with a 73 gram shaft and seemed to have upped my SS a little bit but the ball flight is draw to hook now.

One thing I did notice is when I use the overspeed stick, my hips and torso seem to be getting much more of a workout. Not exactly sure if that’s the intention, but it seems to work nicely for me.

The past two years of SS training seems to be helping quite a bit.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

One thing I did notice is when I use the overspeed stick, my hips and torso seem to be getting much more of a workout. Not exactly sure if that’s the intention, but it seems to work nicely for me.

I noticed something similar. I filmed a couple of my SuperSpeed swings yesterday, and my "impact" position is so much better than it is when I swing a normal club, especially an iron. Hips and torso much much more open at "impact" when using the SuperSpeed clubs and trying to swing fast compared to both the hips and torso being very closed on normal iron swings.

So I grabbed an iron, tried to make the same fast, quick swing that I do with the SuperSpeed clubs, boom. Hips and torso were open at impact, left arm/wrist were straight, head stayed back and steady.

Seems like thinking of swinging fast and explosive naturally puts my body in the proper positions. 

Edited by klineka

hmmm, I noticed this thread for awhile now but never really took the time to go through it. Demonstrably, I can see others have attained a measure of success. I am a little hesitant at purchasing the system at that price as at my age, I just feel as though I am only deluding myself. There are limits owing to age, and body conditioning.

That being said, since I do have the Swing Speed Radar, I may re-consider. I already have my home made "Hacker Whacker" and it seems as though I could use that to see if it would show improvement. It should give me an idea of what to expect and whether or not, a purchase of the system is justified. Or, as others suggest, perhaps a trainer such as the Orange Whip, or the one offered by Skilz (at half the price no less) might suffice in the interim.

I dunno….chasing the Holy Grail at times seems to be an exercise in futility. BUT, the success shown in the posts does give me pause to re-consider. One thing for certain, the longer I procrastinate, the more difficult it will become. I am chronologically impaired, (to repeat one of my often over-used expressions).

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

15 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I am a little hesitant at purchasing the system at that price as at my age, I just feel as though I am only deluding myself. There are limits owing to age, and body conditioning.

That being said, since I do have the Swing Speed Radar, I may re-consider. 

If you have old/unused shafts lying around, you can make your own speed sticks if you want for a fraction of the price.

I had 3 shafts and I used washers that fit over the end of the shaft and used super glue to hold the washers together and glued them to the shafts, and then glued a screw into the end of the shaft that was large enough that the washers wouldnt go off the bottom of the shaft if they did happen to come loose

I then wrapped the washers in duct tape and spray painted it black. I also used a food scale to weigh the sticks as I was making them and applying glue/tape, and now all 3 of my sticks are within 1-3 grams of the weight for each stick according to the SuperSpeed website.

I can post pictures of mine later tonight if you want.

Edited by klineka
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 2

1 minute ago, klineka said:

If you have old/unused shafts lying around, you can make your own speed sticks if you want for a fraction of the price.

I had 3 shafts and I used washers that fit over the end of the shaft and used super glue to hold the washers together and glued them to the shafts, and then glued a screw into the end of the shaft that was large enough that the washers wouldnt go off the bottom of the shaft if they did happen to come loose

I then wrapped the washers in duct tape and spray painted it black. I also used a food scale to weight the sticks as I was making them and applying glue/tape, and now all 3 of my sticks are within 1-3 grams of the weight for each stick according to the SuperSpeed website.

Thanks, I get the idea. Sounds like you put a bit of thought in the process.  Very similar to the "Hacker Whacker"  device I made. I believe there is a video in my "accoutrements" thread

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

21 hours ago, klineka said:

I then wrapped the washers in duct tape and spray painted it black. I also used a food scale to weigh the sticks as I was making them and applying glue/tape, and now all 3 of my sticks are within 1-3 grams of the weight for each stick according to the SuperSpeed website.

Please do! I have driver shafts I can use.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Please do! I have driver shafts I can use.

another idea might be using only one shaft to do the work of three.

Drill several small holes near the bottom of the shaft (perpendicular). A drill press would come in  handy here, otherwise use a padded vice to hold the shaft.

Place the required number of washers between two of the holes and secure them with small cotter pins or tiny clovis pins spacing them so that the washer stacks are well secured.  I would glue the washers together as needed for the required weight, wrap and paint if wanted. You might also be able to find some "spacers" at Home Depot in lieu of washers.

Now you can simply change out the washer "bundles" as needed. I have as yet to try this, but @klineka's post gave me an idea...(yeah, I know...dangerous when I get ideas).

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

35 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

another idea might be using only one shaft to do the work of three.

Drill several small holes near the bottom of the shaft (perpendicular). A drill press would come in  handy here, otherwise use a padded vice to hold the shaft.

Place the required number of washers between two of the holes and secure them with small cotter pins or tiny clovis pins spacing them so that the washer stacks are well secured.  I would glue the washers together as needed for the required weight, wrap and paint if wanted. You might also be able to find some "spacers" at Home Depot in lieu of washers.

Now you can simply change out the washer "bundles" as needed. I have as yet to try this, but @klineka's post gave me an idea...(yeah, I know...dangerous when I get ideas).

I found these steel spacers .375 inside diameter, but not sure of the weight. They come in various lengths starting at 1/2 inch. 

the-hillman-group-spacers-883500-64_145.jpg.08fd5953dd228b3b1d728d406cabf320.jpg

23 hours ago, klineka said:

do you recall what are the weights of the individual washer stacks? 

Thanks.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

18 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

do you recall what are the weights of the individual washer stacks? 

I don't know, because I just grabbed a handful and added/removed as necessary. You have to take the weight of the shaft into account as well so that will affect how much your washer stacks weigh as well, so it will vary for every shaft weight

I held the shaft on the scale and kept adding washers until it got to the desired weight. IIRC I left like 5-10g of weight to account for the glue and duct tape.

So for example the green club, the shaft, washers, and screw weighed like 245 grams, and then I used glue and duct tape to bring it up to the 255 grams.

image.png

I'll post pictures later tonight of the finished products as well as the washers I used.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!