IGNORED

Former Taylormade R&D VP is Getting into the Direct to Consumer Golf Ball Business

Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played my first round with the "Tour" ball today.  I was very impressed.  My playing partners may be placing orders soon...

Awesome. Thanks for support in trying. Glad you liked them.

Seems like Rob and the 3UP crew have started an avalanche of "micro-ball" direct market companies. This one, Vice ball and a couple of others.

• Administrator

Seems like Rob and the 3UP crew have started an avalanche of "micro-ball" direct market companies. This one, Vice ball and a couple of others.

Clarify, please?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Clarify, please?

Now it seems out of context after it was moved here.. but anyway- That Snell ball, Vice, and a couple of others have popped up since Rob over at 3UP got his ball out there a couple of years ago. Maybe they're looking to get in on the direct to consumer model. Now, 3UP may not have been the first, bit it was among the first I came across, and now there are at least 4 more... Just making an observation. And I would suspect that they arent all that different from each other, since they all seem to have a "Pro" style ball at a semi premium price, and a "Sub Pro" ball at a more accessible market price range.

• Administrator
Now it seems out of context after it was moved here.. but anyway- That Snell ball, Vice, and a couple of others have popped up since Rob over at 3UP got his ball out there a couple of years ago. Maybe they're looking to get in on the direct to consumer model.

Now, 3UP may not have been the first, bit it was among the first I came across, and now there are at least 4 more... Just making an observation. And I would suspect that they arent all that different from each other, since they all seem to have a "Pro" style ball at a semi premium price, and a "Sub Pro" ball at a more accessible market price range.

I dunno. That seems to perhaps be assigning more credit to 3UP than maybe they deserve. Dean Snell has his history, and I could see him independently deciding to do this instead of making a bunch of money for Titleist and TaylorMade.

The KickX ball is good and has been out for a few years too. If you go to the PGA Show any time for the last several years (decades?), you'd have also seen a lot of companies trying to make golf balls, and many of them tried the D2C model as well.

Whomever deserves the credit, I'm just glad we're in this age, because the @snellgolf balls are pretty good, and really inexpensive.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, maybe so, but I hadn't even really paid ANY attention to any small micro-branded product until I became aware of 3UP. I knew there were some "hot" balls out there, but didn't really consider them as any real competition to the big guys. The new batch seem to be able to offer similar performance and quality without the "pro" ball price by taking the word of mouth approach instead of paying big dollars for getting a "name" to play them and having to tack on $$ to the price to pay for that "name". But it seems its gone the way of Micro brewed craft beers. It's become hot and trendy so the big guys eventually get involved and make their own, either by creating a "new" brand or eating up the little guys anyway. The D2C approach "seems" to be working for a couple and that's fine. And I imagine these small companies aren't doing a lot of intensive R&D;, either. That has been done for them, and they are given a limited # of options to make it their "own" from the factory. A tweak on dimple size, number, depth, a few options on cover material, thickness, etc... Yet, they come out of the same factory- just like the "craft" beers of Anheuser Busch. Out one line comes Budweiser and out the other comes "Blue Point"- supposedly a 'craft' beer. But I'm sure Titleist isn't too worried about these guys, either. They bank on the name to keep their market share.

Awesome. Thanks for support in trying. Glad you liked them.

This may be a bit off-topic, but maybe not.  It was noted in another thread that you guys were not part of this new suit that was announced.  I wonder if your deep knowledge of the field and the companies gives you any insight you might care to share with us about that suit and how you apparently have avoided infringing.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quick question, what's the difference in distance between the my tour and get sum? I really don't need more distance on my shots, but I could use a bit more spin to hold greens. I know the get sum is marketed to produce straighter shots but not sure if it's significant enough to make much difference on a bad shot.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quick question, what's the difference in distance between the my tour and get sum? I really don't need more distance on my shots, but I could use a bit more spin to hold greens. I know the get sum is marketed to produce straighter shots but not sure if it's significant enough to make much difference on a bad shot.

MyTourBall has a urethane cover and will offer more spin for the greens.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

There really isn't much difference in distance. Basically it is optimizing your launch numbers. Generally non-premium golf balls, those with out Urethane covers tend to spin less off the driver. They also significantly spin less off wedges. If you want more wedge spin you need to look at golf balls with Urethane covers.

The driver to golf ball collision is regulated by the USGA. So ball speed off the clubface is capped. No golf ball is more accurate than another. Basically, the numbers are so marginal at best that the only major difference between golf balls is typically type of cover and the short game shots spin rates. Besides that most golf balls perform similarly off the driver. From that you are just looking at feel. Premium golf balls just feel better when struck.

With your swing speed, if you are not producing spin then it is the ball strike that is the concern. You got the swing speed to produce enough spin to stop the ball with pretty much any golf ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

There really isn't much difference in distance. Basically it is optimizing your launch numbers. Generally non-premium golf balls, those with out Urethane covers tend to spin less off the driver. They also significantly spin less off wedges. If you want more wedge spin you need to look at golf balls with Urethane covers.

The driver to golf ball collision is regulated by the USGA. So ball speed off the clubface is capped. No golf ball is more accurate than another. Basically, the numbers are so marginal at best that the only major difference between golf balls is typically type of cover and the short game shots spin rates. Besides that most golf balls perform similarly off the driver. From that you are just looking at feel. Premium golf balls just feel better when struck.

With your swing speed, if you are not producing spin then it is the ball strike that is the concern. You got the swing speed to produce enough spin to stop the ball with pretty much any golf ball.

True enough, I suppose it's also a byproduct of rock hard greens in my area so a better ball isn't going to help anyway. I suppose for the price the my tour ball is probably hard to beat for a premium level ball. I may have to get a box to try out.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Ordered a dozen of the My Tour ball, for the price I can't imagine I'll be disappointed. I liked the Monsta golf ball but it was a little more before they offered the no packaging option and with shipping because I don't order more than a dozen at a time. Will be interesting to see how they compare since they are both 3 piece and in the same price range.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

If you are looking for more spin around the greens then definitely try the MY TOUR BALL. This ball is designed to give more short game spin and control around the greens using the tour proven cast urethane cover. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Snell Golf is having a special through next weekend - check for details on the site, which has the promo code at checkout.

Buy 5 dz for the price of 4 dz ... that's about $2.14 per ball for the MYTOURBALL.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Snell Golf is having a special through next weekend - check for details on the site, which has the promo code at checkout.

Buy 5 dz for the price of 4 dz ... that's about $2.14 per ball for the MYTOURBALL.

I wish I could afford to drop 120 on some golf balls, because I really like these. I wish these deals would be more like buy 2 get one free but I understand they are doing the best deal for their budget and the customers. I would definitely do it if I had the money, hopefully some  of you guys jump on it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!