IGNORED

What device do you use to keep score?

Moppy
Note: This thread is 3358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. What device to you use to keep score?

• Pencil. Ultimate flexiblity
    • Phone app. Works great for me.
    • Mechanical counter: Cheap, click once, get total strokes for a round.
    • Specialized Electronic Device. Keep score and stats with minimal delay on course.
    • Wristwatch Type Counter. Always handy, never miss a stroke.
    • Something Else. Please describe in the comments.

My skycaddie touch and the screen is just small enough that I really cant see my total untl I am done (i only really look at the end of each 9)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use my Skycaddie SG5.  It's quick and easy.  The hole score and putts are really big characters and a scroll to the bottom lets you input fairways hit, missed left or right.  I can input the sand bunker and penalties later.  Not that I have a lot of penalties. :whistle: The paper and pencil method has let me down a few times when I first started.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I think a lot of the serious long time golfers forget how much a new golfer has to think about just to get around the course. Routines aren't settled. There's lots of frustration, blowup holes, blading it over a green, lost balls, excitement when a ball does what you want, stroke counts over 100 for a round even without penalties. At this point, the less to think about the better.

I am thinking about going with a click counter to keep me honest hole to hole, and coming up with a system for the score card to count stats, like using the other player lines for whatever stat I am working on at the time.

Game Golf would do the trick.

I saw a guy using this the other day, which is what brought up the question. I didn't know what it was until your comment and I googled it. Maybe after I stop hitting so many fat shots, which plays havoc with my iron distances, except I already promised myself a new set of irons once I start hitting them consistently. Right now I might as well be using a set of garden implements with as much digging as I am doing.

I cannot figure out why I like this game so freaking much.

When I play alone Or with a friend or two, I keep track in my head the number of birdies vs bogies. With a low handicap, I don't count pars, just par variables. I do the same with fairways and green in regulation. Sometimes with out keeping track or reviewing it in my mind I just know what I shot, someone could ask what I shot, I respond with I shot 78 many times I am dead in right. The difference for me when I shoot 78 vs a 82 is enormous. It means 4 x 3 putts or a couple wayward drives or penalties OB, water hazard, lost ball etc.

The Other is my head. I know what I shot on each hole but I don't write it down until the round is over. The last thing I want to be aware of is my score -- gets my mind going in wrong directions.

I can do that on my home course, or one that I play regularly, but not on a relatively unfamiliar course.  After I play a new course, I can't just sit down and picture the 13th hole unless there is some particular reason that makes it memorable.  I'm more focused on playing my ball than I am on noting the nuances of each hole, and in particular noting which hole is attached to each number.  I may be able to describe most of the holes, but not necessarily in the proper order.  I have to record the scores as I go or I'd just be guessing half the time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I always keep my own scorecard separate from the group to record stats.  I then enter them on the GHIN site online for tracking purposes.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I can also use the pencil to clean the grooves on my clubs, and I am sure the graphite helps lower my side spin numbers.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I can also use the pencil to clean the grooves on my clubs, and I am sure the graphite helps lower my side spin numbers.

There is just one spin so if that worked it would reduce all spin plus it would be against the rules.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

[quote name="trickyputt" url="/t/79996/what-device-do-you-use-to-keep-score/36#post_1105212"]I can also use the pencil to clean the grooves on my clubs, and I am sure the graphite helps lower my side spin numbers.

There is just one spin so if that worked it would reduce all spin plus it would be against the rules.[/quote] So pencils are illegal? I never would have thought it. Lol- Next thing somebody is gonna tell me is that a steeper swingplane wont effect my ball flight. Oh well, I guess putting sunblock on my driver must only be good for keeping the paint from fading.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

So pencils are illegal? I never would have thought it. Lol- Next thing somebody is gonna tell me is that a steeper swingplane wont effect my ball flight. Oh well, I guess putting sunblock on my driver must only be good for keeping the paint from fading.

Look up Rule 4-2b. You said it would alter your ball flight. A steeper swing plane will not change your ball flight by itself-This is not the topic for here though.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Pencil and scorecard during the round,website when done. My scorecard ends up looking like a doodle pad because I make marks as I play, curving tick marks for slices or fades or draws or hooks, W for water, other graphics or notations for other stuff that happens to the ball. Then I tally up the tick marks and graphics and notes and penalties and write down the strokes per hole along the way as I wait for greens to clear. This also gives me a graphical idea of where my issues are that day. Too many W's and I might as well have gone swimming, too many curving tick marks and I can see where I need work, excessive duffs and flubs readily show up, and strokes between putts and I know it's time for more putter practice. Just don't ask me to keep score for a group, I tend to use up the whole card just for my stuff. Anyway, pencil and paper.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

In a group it's with pencil and card, but Game Golf for myself due to the stats aspect - it's a great device which I'd thoroughly recommend.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 3358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!