IGNORED

Take Your Driver Out of the Bag

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think I'm going to my 3W. It's a glorified driver anyway. Set at 13.5 degrees and 43.75". I can't control where my driver goes and it costs me about 12 strokes or more a round. I just can't get used to the huge head on the thing. It requires almost a different swing than everything else in the bag. I'll gladly give up 10-15 yds total distance for better accuracy. Tree-line or in the trees vs. within the first cut.

I've been playing a 460cc driver for 8 or 9 years so don't think the large head has affected me; however, because I had such great success with the 3w, when I did get a driver, I opted for a 445cc head and I'm very happy I did. Feel like I have more control which inspires confidence. They may even make 430cc-headed drivers still. Just a thought...

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I'm going to my 3W. It's a glorified driver anyway. Set at 13.5 degrees and 43.75". I can't control where my driver goes and it costs me about 12 strokes or more a round. I just can't get used to the huge head on the thing. It requires almost a different swing than everything else in the bag. I'll gladly give up 10-15 yds total distance for better accuracy. Tree-line or in the trees vs. within the first cut.

Knock on wood, I'm loving having driver back in the bag after hitting a strong 3 wood all last year. Once I accepted that the driver is a different swing, it's been a revelation and I'm killing it. I still hit the 3 wood a bunch because my courses tend to have a lot of sharp doglegs that can be overrun, but 3 wood isn't laser straight either. I remember playing two weeks ago with @RFKFREAK re right along the right trees on a dogleg left par 5. I hit 3 wood and it just clipped the trees. I remember griping, "If I wanted to be in the trees, I'd have just hit my driver and been in the ones 30 yards up ahead." My real problem with driver is figuring out just how high to tee the ball. It's a lot of eyeballing and trial and error so far, so I think it'll come in a few more rounds.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

See that's the problem. When you haven't grooved your regular swing and have to learn a different swing for one club I get confused on everything else. I think I'll just keep it simple stupid and use my strong 3W off the tee. It's not laser straight either but it's a lot better than the driver for me. I need to groove my regular swing first. Then we can add the driver. Essentially I need to learn how to drive the car at 50 mph before I start driving at 90.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Knock on wood, I'm loving having driver back in the bag after hitting a strong 3 wood all last year. Once I accepted that the driver is a different swing, it's been a revelation and I'm killing it. I still hit the 3 wood a bunch because my courses tend to have a lot of sharp doglegs that can be overrun, but 3 wood isn't laser straight either. I remember playing two weeks ago with @RFKFREAK and the tees were right along the right trees on a dogleg left par 5. I hit 3 wood and it just clipped the trees. I remember griping, "If I wanted to be in the trees, I'd have just hit my driver and been in the ones 30 yards up ahead." My real problem with driver is figuring out just how high to tee the ball. It's a lot of eyeballing and trial and error so far, so I think it'll come in a few more rounds.

Haha, I remember that.

Well, for me, it isn't really much of an option at this point.  I suck at hitting my 3W and 5W off the tee and deck, so that leaves me with either driver or 4H which is a difference of about 70 yards for me.   It's kind of dangerous for me right now as proven yesterday as I had back to back penalty stroke holes off the tee because of my driver which helped kill my score.  But, until I feel as though I'm making somewhat decent contact regularly with my 3W or 5W, it's all driver all the time unless I'm playing a hole where I don't get hurt as much using hybrid (like the Par 5 I played yesterday that I poked it 190 yards on a dogleg where I wouldn't want to go more than 220 anyway (and left myself another hybrid and SW).

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I tend to do the opposite, I rarely hit 3 wood off the tee. Driver is bigger, easier to hit and goes farther. Depends on the hole but even when I don't need a "big" drive and have to "fit" my tee shot in, I typically prefer to hit an easy/choke/bunt driver than a 3 wood off the tee.

Ditto.   It is, however, a bit embarrassing to pull out a driver for par 3s.   I had to do it 3 times at Bandon Dunes courses this spring when wind was blowing.  My caddy said it was a 3 club wind and I learned quickly not to question him.  I took out my driver, and gave a good 3/4 swing.  I did GIR two of the three holes.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Haha, I remember that.

Well, for me, it isn't really much of an option at this point.  I suck at hitting my 3W and 5W off the tee and deck, so that leaves me with either driver or 4H which is a difference of about 70 yards for me.   It's kind of dangerous for me right now as proven yesterday as I had back to back penalty stroke holes off the tee because of my driver which helped kill my score.  But, until I feel as though I'm making somewhat decent contact regularly with my 3W or 5W, it's all driver all the time unless I'm playing a hole where I don't get hurt as much using hybrid (like the Par 5 I played yesterday that I poked it 190 yards on a dogleg where I wouldn't want to go more than 220 anyway (and left myself another hybrid and SW).

But hey, you did have that 295 yard bomb on that one hole, so driver can't be toooooo bad, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I've been playing a 460cc driver for 8 or 9 years so don't think the large head has affected me; however, because I had such great success with the 3w, when I did get a driver, I opted for a 445cc head and I'm very happy I did. Feel like I have more control which inspires confidence. They may even make 430cc-headed drivers still. Just a thought...

I am at 280cc ATM and my other driver when I carry it is 440cc. Just sayin'. But I am not playing Augusta or anything. My longest drive of the season with the 280cc Blast Driveway is 303 yards so well struck it's enough. Though more a convenience thing since it's two clubs in one. I hit it off the deck too so no 3w for me, brought in a 4 iron that I badly needed.

Dave :-)

I took the driver out of the bag for while last year, but decided recently that if I'm going to suck it might as well be with a driver, as I need the reps.. If it is a no question driver situation I'm using it off the tee, if the first goes OB I hit driver again, if the second goes OB I suck it up and go with the 3w and hope it stays in.. I would never take the driver out again, if I'm ever going to achieve any of my goals it will be with it and not without.. In terms of learning a new swing for driver, for me the jury is still out, pretty much everything is the same except maybe some impact positions and maybe how I tilt my spine slightly at address.. But is it really that significantly different?? I haven't come to that conclusion yet!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I am at 280cc ATM and my other driver when I carry it is 440cc. Just sayin'. But I am not playing Augusta or anything. My longest drive of the season with the 280cc Blast Driveway is 303 yards so well struck it's enough. Though more a convenience thing since it's two clubs in one. I hit it off the deck too so no 3w for me, brought in a 4 iron that I badly needed.

Man, that takes me back. My first set was Spaulding with a tiny little metal driver, don't know what size but I'd guess 280. I could drill that little bad boy. Course, I was in my 20s and swinging over 110-115, but that was a cool club, my favorite. Got stolen out of my garage about 20 years ago which caused me to upgrade but I sure do miss it. Would love to see how I hit it now. I wonder if the added mass of the 460s increase drag thereby slowing clubhead speed. Probably not to a measurable degree but I feel as though I swing this 445 a little faster.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Two things in regard to the post here. in the thousands upon thousands of club fittings, most being drivers with launch monitors present. 1) Most males, (with the exception of single digit handicappers) state their driver off the tee distance easily 30 yards further than they actually hit ( average). most use too stiff of shaft and not high enough loft. 2) drivers as whole have improved where swing tendencies can be compensated for through adjustable loft and de-loft hotels and moveable weights, so over time for you average Joe, they are hitting further due lighter and responsive shafts, a higher loft and overall a much tighter dispersion of drives than 8-12 years ago. You can still miss it, snipe, snap hook, fade and slice, worm burn, pop fly, ground out to short......with a modern day driver. Last week with my work launch monitor, while waiting for an fitting appointment. I hit a dozen or so balls to warm up, then I hit my driver set on 11.5 and hit 10 balls and took the average length and average off line- making note of my worst offline 9 yards right. next I took a Titleist 975j with a steel shaft, 8.5 degree, 43.5 inch shaft, I put face tape on it ruling out any bad contact shots. my swing is geared to hit up on the ball. I was 22 yards shorter and out of the ten balls I hit with the Titleist only one ball was inside my furthest offline hit with my driver. ( I hit a very straight ball) If you were to insist on using a 3 wood, clearly one that is really long and straight is the 2 year old RBZ 3wood. Personally I would invest in yourself privately, you don't have to tell your friends, and go get 3-4 lessons on how to hit a driver. Especially if it's the same results or shots that you continue to repeat.

Man, that takes me back. My first set was Spaulding with a tiny little metal driver, don't know what size but I'd guess 280. I could drill that little bad boy. Course, I was in my 20s and swinging over 110-115, but that was a cool club, my favorite. Got stolen out of my garage about 20 years ago which caused me to upgrade but I sure do miss it. Would love to see how I hit it now. I wonder if the added mass of the 460s increase drag thereby slowing clubhead speed. Probably not to a measurable degree but I feel as though I swing this 445 a little faster.

No depreciable difference in speed, the biggest drag on a driver is the thick adjustable hozel, it creates the most disturbance

I just put my new old (used) driver in my bag 3 weeks ago - not gonna take it out this soon!  I actually like it quite a lot.  I could only wish that my strokes over par were as low as the 9.75° that my 913 D2 is set to.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Man, that takes me back. My first set was Spaulding with a tiny little metal driver, don't know what size but I'd guess 280. I could drill that little bad boy. Course, I was in my 20s and swinging over 110-115, but that was a cool club, my favorite. Got stolen out of my garage about 20 years ago which caused me to upgrade but I sure do miss it. Would love to see how I hit it now.

I wonder if the added mass of the 460s increase drag thereby slowing clubhead speed. Probably not to a measurable degree but I feel as though I swing this 445 a little faster.

You should check out the KickX Driveway. Can't say enough good things about it. With a good 2nd shot lie it's a par 5 killer.

Really? That is surprising, wouldn't have guess it. Remember the driver Jack Hamm was trying hock a few years ago with, I think, 3 holes right through the head to allow air to pass through, theoretically increasing club head speed? Sure sounded impressive at the time but I guess as no one has copied it and the infomercial went away pretty quickly, and I've never seen one in real life, there was nothing to it. Jack sure could hit it over that mountain though. Wonder how many bought it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfisher

No depreciable difference in speed, the biggest drag on a driver is the thick adjustable hozel, it creates the most disturbance

Really? That is surprising, wouldn't have guess it. Remember the driver Jack Hamm was trying hock a few years ago with, I think, 3 holes right through the head to allow air to pass through, theoretically increasing club head speed? Sure sounded impressive at the time but I guess as no one has copied it and the infomercial went away pretty quickly, and I've never seen one in real life, there was nothing to it. Jack sure could hit it over that mountain though. Wonder how many bought it?

Pow! Drive then putt. Just need two clubs really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfisher

I'm not buying the idea that a large hosel causes the most air disturbance. Pretty sure it is that big flat face clubface trying to push the air out of the way. Blaming the hosel is like saying a bus has bad aerodynamics because of the mirrors.

• Upvote 2

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I'm not buying the idea that a large hosel causes the most air disturbance. Pretty sure it is that big flat face clubface trying to push the air out of the way. Blaming the hosel is like saying a bus has bad aerodynamics because of the mirrors.

I mean, Taylormade wouldn't put a fin on its Aeroburner hosels for no reason. (Of course they would)

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

But hey, you did have that 295 yard bomb on that one hole, so driver can't be toooooo bad, haha.

True. Driver length (in general) isn't as big an issue for me as it is for others, haha.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 3288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!