IGNORED

Time to clamp down on moronic heckler's and camera phones?

golfaddict1
Note: This thread is 3306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At the PGA championship, they had cell phone marshalls, who can take your phone away if you are using while the quite signs are up. Also you are not allowed to take pictures with any type of device. But of course that doesn't stop people.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hecklers, yes have a zero tolerance, as far as phone/cameras that might be tough, it might be best to allow it, but show the techno idiots how to shut off sound thru the menu and educate the rest.

This THREAD describes the biggest quandary of tour pros. Plain and simple - the better you get, the more people want a piece of you. Camera noise and people noise is part of the pressure of being a PGA Pro. Joe LaCava was never shy about telling people to quiet down with cameras and movement, etc. The caddies should take the lead and control the crowds. The camera people will never stop shooting pictures at the wrong time. Those idiots are relentless like rabid dogs. As for hecklers, take away the beer and the crowds will be tame.

This THREAD describes the biggest quandary of tour pros. Plain and simple - the better you get, the more people want a piece of you.

Camera noise and people noise is part of the pressure of being a PGA Pro. Joe LaCava was never shy about telling people to quiet down with cameras and movement, etc. The caddies should take the lead and control the crowds. The camera people will never stop shooting pictures at the wrong time. Those idiots are relentless like rabid dogs.

As for hecklers, take away the beer and the crowds will be tame.

Take away the beer and the venues revenues will take a severe hit as well.  With the exception of SLR cameras there's no reason a camera or phone should make a noise taking a picture.  Anyone that shouts out stupid phrases should just be throw out of the event.  Once enough people get tossed the idiots will realize it's not worth the risk.

Joe Paradiso

I'm not going to feel bad for the Pros over this, deal with it I say, sure they worked hard to get there, sure they're amazing talents, but in the end it's still a cushy life, ignore the idiots and enjoy it I say, no need to get crazy about it, the idiots get in plenty of trouble I'm sure.

Take away the beer and the venues revenues will take a severe hit as well.  With the exception of SLR cameras there's no reason a camera or phone should make a noise taking a picture.  Anyone that shouts out stupid phrases should just be throw out of the event.  Once enough people get tossed the idiots will realize it's not worth the risk.

A week of golf free of "BABA BOOEY" might be the best part of The Masters.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I kinda like the guys that yell IN THE HOLE when they tee off from over 600 yds on a par 5  ... adds a sort of dumbassery to the gallery, that is present to some degree in all other sports.

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I do not like the yelling ... but compared to other sports golf is tame ... My dad always said there are more horses asses than there are horses ... turns out he was right. I would think that at their level, a player should know how to deal with camera noise.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I agree. ZERO tolerance for a-holes. Re: BEER Limit the beer to anyone with a flushed face who can't walk a straight line. The thing that pisses me off is that Phoenix Open. All that yelling and screaming. Stupid. I refuse to watch that tournament.

Re: Camera Shutters ESPN Magazine, Sports Illustrated, GOLF Magazine, etc. They all need photographs to spice up their product. The shutter sounds you hear after a shot are the sounds of the professional sports photographers doing their job: collecting the best images from the best players on the best TOUR for the best publications.

I agree. ZERO tolerance for a-holes.

Re: BEER

Limit the beer to anyone with a flushed face who can't walk a straight line.

The thing that pisses me off is that Phoenix Open. All that yelling and screaming. Stupid.

I refuse to watch that tournament.

The Masters has some of the cheapest beer on the Tour. And you'll hear nary a peep from the crowd in terms of dumb yelling. So a tournament can do a lot themselves to police these things, it just seems that they don't for whatever reason.

The Phoenix Open is fun because it's so different. One hole a year where the crowd can go nuts is fine. It's the yelling on the other hundreds that can be done without.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

The thing that pisses me off is that Phoenix Open. All that yelling and screaming. Stupid.

First, the Phoenix Open is an outlier. That situation is purposely made to be different than any other course. They literally built an arena for that par 3. So don't use that as an example, it doesn't prove anything except you just assume that is the standard when it is not. I've been to multiple tournaments and they are not even in the realm of Phoenix.

I personally think that no beer should be sold on a golf course. First, it can be dangerous in the summer because it dehydrates people and some courses are very tough to walk. Also, I don't think you need beer to enjoy a tournament. If they do have beer they need to be proactive in ejecting those who get drunk.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Different strokes - that's my FAVORITE tournament of the year for that very reason - I love to see certain guys get the crowd amp'd up.   All the crowd interaction is pure fun - I would love to attend that event one year.    The only thing I'm still pissed about is the discontinuation of the caddie races... you probably hated that too, amirite ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I agree. ZERO tolerance for a-holes. Re: BEER Limit the beer to anyone with a flushed face who can't walk a straight line. The thing that pisses me off is that Phoenix Open. All that yelling and screaming. Stupid. I refuse to watch that tournament.

Beer/alcohol generates large revenues ... its here to stay ... lots of vendors set up tents with unlimited beer/wine/drinks. I have been on the 16th many times in Phx, it is fun and many players actually spur the crowd on. I have had the opportunity to play the hole before an event while the stadium is up ... its incredible! They used have caddie races ... all-in-all a great time. Players used to throw promotional items into the stands etc ... however, viewing it on TV I can certainly understand your viewpoint. WIthout the stadium it is ho-hum par 3 at best.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Re: Camera Shutters

ESPN Magazine, Sports Illustrated, GOLF Magazine, etc. They all need photographs to spice up their product. The shutter sounds you hear after a shot are the sounds of the professional sports photographers doing their job: collecting the best images from the best players on the best TOUR for the best publications.

The issue isn't after a shot it's before or during.  If the pro photographers aren't able to time their shots properly maybe they should switch to mirrorless cameras.

Joe Paradiso

The Masters has some of the cheapest beer on the Tour. And you'll hear nary a peep from the crowd in terms of dumb yelling. So a tournament can do a lot themselves to police these things, it just seems that they don't for whatever reason. The Phoenix Open is fun because it's so different. One hole a year where the crowd can go nuts is fine. It's the yelling on the other hundreds that can be done without.

The Augusta Masters is the special exception. Been there, going again this year - it's a completely different vibe. Self-Control is an unwritten rule there. Call me a traditionalist - I just don't see that hole @ Phoenix as "good for golf." In fact, I think some of these people see the Phoenix Open on TV and try to replicate it at the tourneys they attend.

The Augusta Masters is the special exception. Been there, going again this year - it's a completely different vibe.

Self-Control is an unwritten rule there.

Call me a traditionalist - I just don't see that hole @ Phoenix as "good for golf."

In fact, I think some of these people see the Phoenix Open on TV and try to replicate it at the tourneys they attend.

I tend to agree, Waste Management is a fun tournament that some of the players embrace but the carry over to other tournaments is just annoying.

Joe Paradiso

Different strokes - that's my FAVORITE tournament of the year for that very reason - I love to see certain guys get the crowd amp'd up.   All the crowd interaction is pure fun - I would love to attend that event one year.    The only thing I'm still pissed about is the discontinuation of the caddie races... you probably hated that too, amirite ?

Caddie races? What the hell are you talking about?

Note: This thread is 3306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!