IGNORED

Hitting a Plateau with Ability

JonMA1
Note: This thread is 3227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Remember, most holes are played like this:

Par 3: Approach, putt, putt

Par 4: Drive, approach, putt, putt

Par 5: Drive, lay-up, approach, putt, putt

On the PGA Tour, you'd be right.

I like the question @14ledo81 asked you, so that's all I'll say for now. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@14ledo81 - that's a tough question, pros are usually excellent at green reading, and although I consider myself very good at reading greens, they might have the upper hand there. 220 for me is a soft hybrid, but from 220 I'm lookin at 20-30 feet being real good. I would go with putting...take my chances on my green reading vs theirs.

@14ledo81 - that's a tough question, pros are usually excellent at green reading, and although I consider myself very good at reading greens, they might have the upper hand there. 220 for me is a soft hybrid, but from 220 I'm lookin at 20-30 feet being real good.

I would go with putting...take my chances on my green reading vs theirs.

I agree 100% with you here.

I might even have a chance now and then on the greens.  From 220???  Not happening ever...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I agree 100% with you here. I might even have a chance now and then on the greens.  From 220???  Not happening ever...

I pride myself on being a good putter. 220 is just a nasty yardage for me. 200 I'm more comfortable with, would I get it inside a Tour Pro from 200 probably not, but I like my chances better than from 220. Ill take my putting chances against anyone but Steve Stricker and Speith. Haha

• Administrator
I pride myself on being a good putter. 220 is just a nasty yardage for me. 200 I'm more comfortable with, would I get it inside a Tour Pro from 200 probably not, but I like my chances better than from 220.

Ill take my putting chances against anyone but Steve Stricker and Speith. Haha

Right, but now think about what you're saying.

And look over this thread: .

P.S. And you'd almost never get inside a Tour pro from 200 yards. Or 150 yards. Or 100 yards. Or any other yardage outside of about 20 to 30 yards…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A poorly played putt costs me a stroke. Poor partial swings, chips, pitches and flops can be potentially damaging to my score, but those normally costs me just a stroke. A poorly executed drive costs me 2.

In my experience, the longer the club, the more damage it can cause if struck poorly. Because there is so much more to a full swing, there's so much more that can go wrong during the execution of it.

I don't devote more practice to full swings more because that's what the pros do - their's is practically a different game. I do it because I recognize how much more difficult they are to learn and because I agree with LSW about the separation value of them - even within my crappy game.

Having said that, if I start having obvious problems with the short game, I will work harder on it until I feel as though I have it worked out. During my last two outings, poor chipping, green side bunker, and flop shots have cost me considerably. But nothing compared to the many penalty strokes I've incurred from poor tee shots.

Jon

Since the full swing seems to be your issue (it was mine as well when I was 20+ handicap - I could hit it far but usually far out of bounds) I would suggest you work on your fundamentals.  Grip and alignment mostly.  Then the takeaway and getting good body/shoulder turn.  But the most important thing in the golf swing IMHO is getting the club in the correct position at the top.  Learn where it needs to be and how to get it there and everything falls into place.

I took lessons a couple years ago at GolfTec and it changed my world forever.  I went from a 20 to a 13 in a season with better ballstriking with both driver and irons.  The next season I worked on course management and dropped it to a 10.  I'm now hovering between 8 and 11 (winter in wisconsin sucks).  I'm telling you... that plateau is not really a plateau.  You can/will figure out something about your swing that will "click" and you'll get to the next level.  You'll still shoot some 90's rounds, but you'll shoot a bunch in the 80's (and maybe even a couple in the 70's!) - If you can dedicate yourself to golfing at least once a week and practicing a bit, it will happen, I promise.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Since the full swing seems to be your issue (it was mine as well when I was 20+ handicap - I could hit it far but usually far out of bounds) I would suggest you work on your fundamentals.  Grip and alignment mostly.  Then the takeaway and getting good body/shoulder turn.  But the most important thing in the golf swing IMHO is getting the club in the correct position at the top.  Learn where it needs to be and how to get it there and everything falls into place.

I took lessons a couple years ago at GolfTec and it changed my world forever.  I went from a 20 to a 13 in a season with better ballstriking with both driver and irons.  The next season I worked on course management and dropped it to a 10.  I'm now hovering between 8 and 11 (winter in wisconsin sucks).  I'm telling you... that plateau is not really a plateau.  You can/will figure out something about your swing that will "click" and you'll get to the next level.  You'll still shoot some 90's rounds, but you'll shoot a bunch in the 80's (and maybe even a couple in the 70's!) - If you can dedicate yourself to golfing at least once a week and practicing a bit, it will happen, I promise.

Thank you for the support and suggestions :beer: . I agree with much of you've said in your first paragraph. But here's the trick... once I've defined and learned what is correct, I need to do that almost exactly the same way every time to improve my scores substantially. For me, execution is every bit as hard as learning.

Regarding lessons, you have to understand I've been through a lot of this. My first instructor just horrible and I'm a bit hesitant to repeat that mistake.  I've learned so much more from this site and I'm still working on developing all the keys (5sk). At times, things really click and I have perhaps more confidence than I should. I would consider taking lessons from a 5sk instructor if or when one becomes available up here. In the meantime, I'll just work at what I think is my priority piece and see how it goes.

I don't know if I'll always be able to enjoy my level of golf. But I have to stop fooling myself into thinking I will get much better because all it's doing is making me crazy. Some of us are simply not able to improve in the same way as the average person.

(winter in wisconsin sucks).

Speaking of this. We got hammered with snow up here (Northern Michigan). I took this week off primarily to play golf and couldn't have had worse weather. See, some things ARE worse than playing bad golf. LOl.

Jon

If you really want to get better, you can't try to get better at the things you're doing now. You'll run into a limit. What has to happen is that you learn how to do the same things in an entirely new way. You need a new conception of how to play golf. That takes lessons and work. If you don't want to go that far, then take one phase of the game, such as greenside chipping, and get REALLY GOOD at that. It will lower your score and give you a sense of pride that makes the game a little more fun.

• 3 weeks later...

It's only been about a month since I started this thread and have played several rounds of poor to mediocre golf. Despite new "fitted" irons and a swing that perhaps looks better, my scoring is a bit worse than it was last year. Still, I've been able to enjoy the time I've spent on the course. There's been enough good golf to keep a positive attitude.

Today's round became a bit more frustrating. Where most of the previous rounds had at least a couple bright spots, today was all around bad. My score wasn't that much higher, but every aspect of the game seemed off. It didn't help that I apparently pulled a muscle in my chest and ribs and could feel it every time I teed off or reached down to pick up a ball (sucks getting old).

I stand by my opinion that some of us will never get good regardless of how much correct practice, decent professional instruction and effort we put in. But today made me realize how strong the desire to get better is. I've never been truly addicted to drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc, but that's gotta be what this is like. I'm sure some folks can do it, but to say "I just want to enjoy the game and not worry about improving" is almost denial. In any case, enjoying bad golf was a challenge today.

So I'm kind of torn on which way to proceed. I'm getting that itch to get better again, but I HATE throwing money at a problem, especially out of desperation. And I know I won't get better on my own. What I've spent on golf instruction and equipment up to this point can be justified (even if it didn't accomplish much in the way of improvement) but I think it would be foolish to pay for lessons with my confidence being so low.

Which brings me back to learning how to enjoy the game at my level of play.

Sorry for the rant.

Jon

JonMA1,

I saw your swing videos on another thread and it really has gotten much better.    If you keep at it, scoring will improve.   If I may suggest, I think at y(our) playing level, there are low hanging fruits you can go after.   E.g, short game (chipping, putting) is definitely something you can work at it in your garage, and improve your handicap.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

She is a hard mistress to dismiss, that lady called 'golf'.  She tugs on your private mind like no one else can do.

Isn't that the truth. With all the suffering in the world, I whine about a stupid game.

JonMA1,

I saw your swing videos on another thread and it really has gotten much better.    If you keep at it, scoring will improve.   If I may suggest, I think at y(our) playing level, there are low hanging fruits you can go after.   E.g, short game (chipping, putting) is definitely something you can work at it in your garage, and improve your handicap.

Thanks, Rick. I appreciate the suggestions. I have been neglecting work on the short game and that was a big part of the problem today.

What do you think about hiring an instructor to watch me play 9 holes and then offer a priority piece?

Jon

What do you think about hiring an instructor to watch me play 9 holes and then offer a priority piece?

I'd be lying if I didn't think about doing exactly that.   Only my laziness prevented me from doing that.   If a good experienced instructor can identify 2 - 3 priority items that are easy to fix and immediately help your game, that'd be worth the investment.

On neglecting short game, tough love mode on:

If you are like me, an aspect of my game goes to pieces if I don't keep up with practice.  That's why I turned my living room into a mini range so that I can practice at home at my convenience & leisure.  I can practice from putting to 6i from home.   For me, golf is fun but practice is a drag.  Without the "mini range" at home, I don't think I can keep up with practice and my game improvement will stall or go in reverse.   You look like you have a bit of space at your home for a mini range of your own.   You can't neglect your short game practice and complain about your game not improving when you have the luxury of having the bit of space. :no:

Tough love mode off. :beer:

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

You can't neglect your short game practice and complain about your game not improving when you have the luxury of having the bit of space.

Agree 100%. I have the space, the time and oddly enough, I really enjoy practicing. I just have to be a little more OCD on how I practice.

Thanks again for the help.

Jon

My playing partner was my youngest son who introduced me to the game a few years ago and is my favorite person to play golf with.

These father/son times are priceless!!!     I got my son started playing golf young, but due to crazy circumstances....I couldn't take him for a year and he lost interest.

I find it interesting how your son got you started in playing golf because my son got me started bowling!!!   He went to a bowling BD party......then afterwards....he started asking me to take him bowling and I never said no.   Three years later as a 12yr old, he carries 210 league average.   Now I bowl a ton of games every week with my son....and play 100+ rounds of golf per year too!!...LOL    Weekends are busy!!!!

IE...last weekend is typical for IN SEASON:

Sat:  726am tee time.......18 holes of golf played early............then we each bowled 11 games most of the afternoon.

Sun: ..................same thing!  with the wife's permission, of course!   My son has a big tourney coming up next weekend...... we bowled 12 games each on Sunday.  We've bowled as many as 22 game each for a set.............

He bowled as a 12yr old in the 15 year old bracket of the USBC Missiouri State Pepsi youth championships last month and finished 8th in a statewide competition against bigger/older kids.........he's showing potential to use bowling to pay his way through college, so we are supporting him in every way possible.  He already has a 300 game and multiple 700 series under his belt as a 12yr old kid.  He got me started...now we are going head to head battling on the lanes!  I have the upper hand, but by a slim margin.  We are pretty close in ability on the lanes....it's only a matter of time until he passes me.  I'm no slouch either....but I realize his potential.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonMA1

My playing partner was my youngest son who introduced me to the game a few years ago and is my favorite person to play golf with.

These father/son times are priceless!!!     I got my son started playing golf young, but due to crazy circumstances....I couldn't take him for a year and he lost interest.

I find it interesting how your son got you started in playing golf because my son got me started bowling!!!   He went to a bowling BD party......then afterwards....he started asking me to take him bowling and I never said no.   Three years later as a 12yr old, he carries 210 league average.   Now I bowl a ton of games every week with my son....and play 100+ rounds of golf per year too!!...LOL    Weekends are busy!!!!

IE...last weekend is typical for IN SEASON:

Sat:  726am tee time.......18 holes of golf played early............then we each bowled 11 games most of the afternoon.

Sun: ..................same thing!  with the wife's permission, of course!   My son has a big tourney coming up next weekend...... we bowled 12 games each on Sunday.  We've bowled as many as 22 game each for a set.............

He bowled as a 12yr old in the 15 year old bracket of the USBC Missiouri State Pepsi youth championships last month and finished 8th in a statewide competition against bigger/older kids.........he's showing potential to use bowling to pay his way through college, so we are supporting him in every way possible.  He already has a 300 game and multiple 700 series under his belt as a 12yr old kid.  He got me started...now we are going head to head battling on the lanes!  I have the upper hand, but by a slim margin.  We are pretty close in ability on the lanes....it's only a matter of time until he passes me.  I'm no slouch either....but I realize his potential.

I remember reading a post where you mentioned him beating you with a +200 game and thinking "that seems like a high score for a kid". Bowling is a hard sport IMO. It's nice that you have that time together. Having gone through it, I can tell you those were some of the most memorable times of my life.

My sons were much more involved with organized sports in HS than I was. The older is a natural athlete but tends to take sports and his successes and failures too seriously. The younger one (who I play golf with) just enjoys the activity. The score matters to him but you'd never know it. When we play a round of golf, it's hard to get frustrated because he's just so calm. That's the kind of the attitude I'm after.

Jon

@JonMA1 Keep in mind that the score card isn't really a great way to track your improvement. It's pretty much the LAST place where improvement shows up. Use your ball flight and video to see your swing get better (it is) and the scores will eventually start to come down, but focusing on scores will just frustrate you and mask the good things that are resulting from the hard work you're putting in.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!