IGNORED

Should I yank my driver from my bag?

Slowcelica
Note: This thread is 3258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should I temporarily take the drive out of my bag?

• Yes, take it out until I get my issues worked out
    • Yes, take it out and replace it with a mini driver(2 wood)
    • No, keep it in the bag and keep hitting it even with issues.

This is pretty much how I feel about it, too. I can probably score better without the driver, but unless I get real course experience with it, I'll never be comfortable when I [i]have[/i] to use it.

Taking it out for all of last year, it's a joy to use it now that I'm hitting it reasonably well. I'll still dump it at the turn if it's just one of those days but now I'm talking myself out of it rather than talking myself into hitting it

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wrote somewhat extensively about this a few months back. I was hitting the driver poorly then it broke. So I was forced to play 6 or 8 rounds without it and loved it. Started really cranking my 3 wood. After a couple months, I got a new driver, 445cc with a 45" shaft, thinking it was closer in size and length to a 3 wood so perhaps I could replicate 3 wood results (my previous drivers were 460/46"). It worked for me, hitting the driver well again after 4 or 5 rounds with it, although not busting bombs like I once did...perhaps that's still coming. Definitely hitting it farther than the 3 wood, however. So, my experience led me to vote to take it out for awhile. Good luck!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Driver can be a real pain in the ass until you find the thoughts that work for you, it takes time and reps, in the past I've gone to the range with that one club, I refused to let it beat me. If there's any club in the bag a golfer should have fitted it's driver,

All of the people I know that hit driver well can hit any driver. I bought my current driver online without even hitting it and I hit well. To the OP if its that bad of a miss you need to fix your swing. Definitely watch the how to fix your slice thread. Also if you haven't already starta my swing thread. If you have post a good fo and dl of the driver. There's a lot of people on here willing to help.

Thanks all for the replies. I actually did yank my driver but replaced it with a borrowed one (sldr). My driver is 45.5" long driver and I pretty much feel like I am swinging a shoe box on the end of a broom handle. The borrowed driver was a good 1" to 1 1/2" shorter and felt so much better. I've heard bad things about the sldr that it isn't forgiving and things like that, well I hit it a lot better than my current driver and it felt a lot smoother. I hit 54% of fairways, avg 181 yards, vs the 165 yds and 22% fairways with my driver. The average would have been a lot higher except I had 3 mishits that were under 140 yards and it dropped my numbers pretty bad. So I think I am keeping the borrowed driver in the bag =)

All of the people I know that hit driver well can hit any driver. I bought my current driver online without even hitting it and I hit well. To the OP if its that bad of a miss you need to fix your swing. Definitely watch the how to fix your slice thread. Also if you haven't already starta my swing thread. If you have post a good fo and dl of the driver. There's a lot of people on here willing to help.

I do have a my swing and my evolvr instructor has given me things to work on to fix my driver swing, which I am working on. Its only been a week so not much progress yet.

I do have a my swing and my evolvr instructor has given me things to work on to fix my driver swing, which I am working on. Its only been a week so not much progress yet.

Stick with it. Those guys are awesome at evolvr. Also check out all the 5 simple keys threads on the site. Work on keys 1 & 2 until they are habit. I worked on key 2 for long long time.

Stick with it. Those guys are awesome at evolvr. Also check out all the 5 simple keys threads on the site. Work on keys 1 & 2 until they are habit. I worked on key 2 for long long time.

I know what you mean I worked on key 2 for about a year, and my head is pretty steady now or at least steady enough so it's not my prioriti piece.

I didn't vote as I don't like any of the options.  For me, I had some driver problems, I tried shortening the driver to around 44.5 inches and this seemed to solve the problem.  For a short time I carried a strong 3 wood that I used and that worked OK too but my ego just couldn't stand not having a driver in the bag.  I can't see where the shorter driver length has cost me any distance on average as I find the sweet spot more often and am certainly in play a lot more.  I should add however distance was never my problem, my problem was always azimuth accuracy (staying out of the woods and in play with the driver).

Butch

I voted to keep it in the bag.  I played in a tournament for 36 holes (shorter and very tight course), and my driver started out terribly through the first 9 holes, finished +6 or so.  I put it in the bag except for par 5's for the next 27, and went -2 using mostly 4-irons off the tee.  Moral of the story is that sometimes certain clubs work and don't work, and you'll want all your options open to recover.  Next time my 4 iron might suck and the driver works great!  But you keep practicing with all the clubs, so that you know what the miss is and can compensate enough to where it doesn't matter what club you use off the tee.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

In my opinion, you work out problems on the range. If you hit it fine on the range but slice when you play, then you obviously have a different problem. I left my driver at home this season until I could hit it better. My scores improved because I wasn't losing so many balls and I enjoyed myself more. Today I put it back in the bag and carded my best round yet.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Kind of like a jumper shooter in basketball, I like to "shoot my way out" of a slump. So I say keep it in the bag and accept the OBs. I think using driver during a weekend foursome or something is excellent practice. It brings pressure into play and then you can really know where you stand. After the round, go the range and work it out. Film it, post it, do what you got to do to figure out what your priority piece is.

But yea, even if I'm hitting it horribly, I always go back to it. If it was a tournament, that'd be a different story, but casual round, I'm definitely not ditching it, no matter how badly I'm hitting it.

Constantine

I know what you mean I worked on key 2 for about a year, and my head is pretty steady now or at least steady enough so it's not my prioriti piece.

Do you send driver videos to your coach at evolvr or just irons? They will help you work on a specific club if you want.

Playing golf without a driver in my bag doesn't sound like much fun.  This is a game, isn't it?

Randal

Do you send driver videos to your coach at evolvr or just irons? They will help you work on a specific club if you want.

Up until this past month I had always just done irons, since I have been hitting my irons pretty well I decided to submit my driver. That's when I got a drill to work on my driver, I've only been working on that drill for a week or two so not a lot of improvement yet, but I know they will get me to where i need to be. That's why I was thinking of yanking it until I get to a point where it's not killing my scores.

Note: This thread is 3258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!