IGNORED

NEW PING iE1 Irons

Note: This thread is 3162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wonder if he was the driving force behind these irons. He was very confident in the i25s he'd play with

He actually never switched to the i25 irons, been using the i20's for a while.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd just have to repaint and change the blue to gray to make them a little cleaner looking; I'm getting tired of the "Ping Blue". These iron just may solve the problem that some have had with the delaminating finish. Yup, right in the bag....

I'd just have to repaint and change the blue to gray to make them a little cleaner looking; I'm getting tired of the "Ping Blue". These iron just may solve the problem that some have had with the delaminating finish. Yup, right in the bag....

I didn't like the blue either. Makes them look cheap for some reason.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Very intrigued by these.  Have played ping irons for 16 years and have thought about upgrading my i15s to i20s and i25s but could never pull the trigger.  I would really like some more distance out of my irons, hopefully these will be a bit farther than the other ping i-series clubs.

Very intrigued by these.  Have played ping irons for 16 years and have thought about upgrading my i15s to i20s and i25s but could never pull the trigger.  I would really like some more distance out of my irons, hopefully these will be a bit farther than the other ping i-series clubs.

In general I don't think it has anything to do with the irons for more achieved distance. Everything corresponds to your mechanics and swing. Simply put if your leading with your hands you'll never get the full distance out of any iron. Ping doesn't put crazy lofts in their irons for marketing purposes like Callaway will (big Bertha irons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Yes they'll be replacing the i25 irons. Hears what I've heard: Slightly larger sole, thinner topline, less offset. Made from the same material as the Glide wedges. Stock shaft options: CFS Distance, DG, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 105, Project X, DG XP 95. They'll be available July 30th.

From Golfsmith Website,

Quote:

431 Stainless Steel Head
For a softer feel with increased accuracy

Progressive Set Design
Engineered for trajectory control

Distance-Generating Lengths & Lofts
3-8 irons: ¼" length & 1° stronger loft (vs. i25 irons)

Concealed Custom Tuning Port
Positioned for a more solid sound & feel

Not sure I like the extra 1/4" length. Looks like they lowered the CG if they made the lofts stronger. Still 1 degree isn't overly aggressive.

Here are the clubs versus the S55. Ping website didn't let me choose the i25

If I was to get these, I might ask them to return the lofts by 1 degree. 7 degrees of loft between the PW and my Edel 52 degree is a lot. Though I probably could go 1 degree more on the PW, 8 Iron, 8 iron, 7 iron.

I'd probably go 4 iron to PW.

The available shafts are, CFS Distance, Ping CFS Graphite, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3, True Temper XP, Dynamic Gold, Project X

The Concealed CTP, looks to be very similar to the Taylormade slot tech,

Quote:
An elastomer CTP weight tucks into the tuning port to create a clean cavity design. The port is positioned lower on the face to align with the impact area for a more solid sound and feel.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Bill Lunde's bag.

From Golfsmith Website,

Not sure I like the extra 1/4" length. Looks like they lowered the CG if they made the lofts stronger. Still 1 degree isn't overly aggressive.

Here are the clubs versus the S55. Ping website didn't let me choose the i25

Yeah the i25's are the same specs as the S55's. PING S55/i25 standard is actually a 1/4" shorter than Callaway/Titleist standard. I go 1/4" long so with these I'll just go standard length.

If I was to get these, I might ask them to return the lofts by 1 degree. 7 degrees of loft between the PW and my Edel 52 degree is a lot. Though I probably could go 1 degree more on the PW, 8 Iron, 8 iron, 7 iron.

I'd probably go 4 iron to PW.

I was figuring they might make the lofts stronger (lower CG design) but it doesn't change my wedge set-up. I have a 46 Glide and the i 9-iron isn't stronger than the i25/S55.

The available shafts are, CFS Distance, Ping CFS Graphite, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3, True Temper XP, Dynamic Gold, Project X

I've been playing the CFS shafts for 4 years and I don't think I be switching. I was interested in the Nippon shaft but after seeing this chart I don't need something that hits the ball higher. Not a fan of the "Distance" added to the name of the shaft, they are the same CFS shafts, just pre-cut to G30 iron lengths, 1/4" the old standard.

The Concealed CTP, looks to be very similar to the Taylormade slot tech,

A lot of irons are starting to look the same. I don't like that they hide the CTP but I get why they're doing it.

Mike McLoughlin

Always fancied the s55's for the cleaner look and more of a players club appearance, never felt I have been good enough to make the switch from my g15s (which are old, ugly and probably not suited to my swing anymore)

considered the i25s for a long time and had been waiting for the next instalment, AG have the iE1's at 799.99 for 4-pw. the i25s are still at 529.99.

must admit, everything I dislike about the g15s has been resolved in the iE1s, and im sure the classic ping performance has been maintained. ill have them.....one day....one day.

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine.

Initial impressions. Finish is a little darker than the i20/i25 irons, similar to the guyson finish on earlier PING irons. Look at address is a mix of S55 and i25 irons. Playability is similar to i25, mid-high launch, lots of bounce/camber for good turf interaction, good distance on misses. I don't think these will have the same chrome/finish issues that the i20/i25 irons had.

Mike McLoughlin

Which shaft did you choose @mvmac ?

PING CFS, same ones I've been using for four years. They're a good fit for me.

Mike McLoughlin

Some pics compared to i25.

i E1 on the left.

i25 on the left.

Mike McLoughlin

Hit a 7 iron on the range last week with a rifle 6.0 in it....hit it at least a club longer than my i20 7 iron.....going for a fitting a week Monday.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I bought a set right after they were released. I had previously tried them in my local shop. I have had every Ping iron set known to man along with most other brands so I've hit a bunch of sticks. I really like the new look. The finish is not a plating like the i20/25 had - it's a brushed SS finish and should prove to be more durable. I opted for DG S300 shafts it's an old favorite of mine. KBS is great but not offered. Not a Project X fan. I have a high ball flight anyway so it helps a little (although to be honest I don't really see a huge difference in height) to have the DG shafts. My impressions are these: feel is greatly improved over the older I series. They just feel very solid. Playability is good - about the same as old I series. Distance is maybe a little better. Forgiveness is very good. An improvement I would say. So bottom line for me is if you liked the old I series then you will like the new version even more. At least I do.

I have been a Mizuno player for over 15 years. I was at the range this past Saturday and tried these clubs, needles to say I have a set green dot 1/4" long now ordered. These felt nearly as nice as my current mp 53, but we're about 10 yards longer an more consistent. I never thought I would leave Mizuno and have never really liked ping irons, but these are simply amazing clubs.. I am getting them with the xp95 shafts, they just had a better flight than the stock cfs distance shaft.

• 3 weeks later...

@mvmac really looking forward to seeing these in person next week. Been a Titleist guy for 7 years now but I'm not really a fan of the new irons and am looking for a tiny bit more forgiveness than my CB's offer.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Note: This thread is 3162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!