IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree.

Doesn't everybody refer to their parents these days as Public Relations Consultants?  I know I do.

So it's ok to be a puppet of your parents?

Again, its a phony act that he is being told to perform to.

lol, this points more to the fact that he is genuine than the way you'd like to portray it. He was raised correctly and his folks still help guide him. Calling them PC consultants is just ludicrous.

I never called them PC consultants...

If at 21 years old you don't know how to act and need mom and dad around to tell you, that is a problem.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Ummm....

Watch the end of The Masters...  His parents yelled at him to go thank the fans and volunteers!

You're right. In the excitement of a moment, I never needed a reminder at 21...

My parents reminded me to thank people at certain moments. I knew it was the right thing to do, but forgot. It happens.

Maybe it's a Catholic thing where kids are just kids and are imperfect.

You're just looking to make a stink...  or maybe it's the dour, black rain cloud cynicism hanging over your head. Perhaps your handle should be Joe Btfsplk.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I must have missed this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/theopen/11752527/Peter-Alliss-causes-new-storm-with-sexist-remark-about-Open-winner-Zac-Johnsons-wife.html

Ha! I actually remember hearing that. I think I chuckled but also thought, "did he really just say that?" Just a bad joke, really. Nothing I would get too worked up about.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Ha! I actually remember hearing that. I think I chuckled but also thought, "did he really just say that?" Just a bad joke, really. Nothing I would get too worked up about.

Maybe she has expressed her culinary interests to him before.

Tony  

So it's ok to be a puppet of your parents? Again, its a phony act that he is being told to perform to. I never called them PC consultants... If at 21 years old you don't know how to act and need mom and dad around to tell you, that is a problem.

Totally agree. At 18 I challenged my father to a fight to the death. It was time to be my own man, and I knew the only way he would let me go is if i defeated him in combat.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Totally agree. At 18 I challenged my father to a fight to the death. It was time to be my own man, and I knew the only way he would let me go is if i defeated him in combat.

Yes, that is exactly what I said...

Wow.

Tony  

Yes, that is exactly what I said... Wow.

You must have really had a problem with Tiger in his 20s. With his dad controlling virtually every facet of his life, and all. It's normal for a 21-yo to take direction from their parents. It's not required, but it's certainly not unusual and it speaks nothing whatsoever about Jordan being a puppet.

Kevin

You must have really had a problem with Tiger in his 20s. With his dad controlling virtually every facet of his life, and all.

It's normal for a 21-yo to take direction from their parents. It's not required, but it's certainly not unusual and it speaks nothing whatsoever about Jordan being a puppet.

What I wonder about is why do you all care so much that I think he is putting on an act and is a phony?  It's just my opinion from my observations.  I am not criticizing him or saying he is a bad golfer...

Everybody has to come and personally defend him...

This reminds me exactly like the mob mentality around Lance Armstrong.  That man could do no wrong either...

Tony  

What I wonder about is why do you all care so much that I think he is putting on an act and is a phony?  It's just my opinion from my observations.  I am not criticizing him or saying he is a bad golfer...

Everybody has to come and personally defend him...

This reminds me exactly like the mob mentality around Lance Armstrong.  That man could do no wrong either...

Actually, you are - you're suggesting his behaviour is fake.

You don't need to be paranoid either. You posted an opinion. Others posted theirs in contradiction to yours. You don't have to have a comeback if you don't want.

For the record, I think your depiction of Spieth is OTT and not that realistic really. Sure, he's old enough to do and think for himself but it's entirely logical that he'd ask for, and listen to, advice from his parents - why wouldn't that be normal behaviour at that age? I'm sure he'll be getting advice from PR people but there's nothing that suggests he's a 'fake' to my eyes.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

What I wonder about is why do you all care so much that I think he is putting on an act and is a phony?  It's just my opinion from my observations.  I am not criticizing him or saying he is a bad golfer... Everybody has to come and personally defend him... This reminds me exactly like the mob mentality around Lance Armstrong.  That man could do no wrong either...

WTF had Jordan Speith done wrong? Respect his parents? Did I miss something? Has he been cheating this entire season and duping everyone into thinking his wins were legit??

Kevin

Why did this thread evolved into JS bashing?   He seems like he is mature beyond his age and the last time I checked, that's not a bad thing.   He was one shot away from potentially winning his 3rd major tournaments in a row.   That wasn't boring, and it did not make him a fake.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I think the media hype to make Jordan Spieth the squeaky-clean good guy is 100% fallout from Tiger's life. Everyone wants to root for the good guy in golf, and the original one fell really hard. I wouldn't pass judgment about anyone I knew from television appearances, BTW.

BTW - Did anyone else see this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fFpPA4iYjI "The Fall of Tiger Woods."

I had no idea how much pressure his dad put on him, and how insane his personal life was until this weekend. The documentary director seems extremely agenda-driven with his narrative, but all of the stuff about Earl Woods wanting his son to be the next Buddha, and him putting for 8 hours a day after school, etc., the IMG Sports machine, etc. There's one part where the narrator claimed Tiger was having delusions that snipers were in the crowd ready to shoot him as he putted in championship events in 2007. Then there's a backstory about these poor black caddies who live across the street from Augusta with their insight about Tiger hitting 2-irons at Earl Woods while he stood perfectly still... Craziness...

Actually, you are - you're suggesting his behaviour is fake.

You don't need to be paranoid either. You posted an opinion. Others posted theirs in contradiction to yours. You don't have to have a comeback if you don't want.

For the record, I think your depiction of Spieth is OTT and not that realistic really. Sure, he's old enough to do and think for himself but it's entirely logical that he'd ask for, and listen to, advice from his parents - why wouldn't that be normal behaviour at that age? I'm sure he'll be getting advice from PR people but there's nothing that suggests he's a 'fake' to my eyes.

Again just my personal opinion.  You don't have to agree with it.

Tony  

WTF had Jordan Speith done wrong? Respect his parents? Did I miss something? Has he been cheating this entire season and duping everyone into thinking his wins were legit??

Where do your hyperboles come from?

When did I suggest cheating and duping?

Tony  

I think the media hype to make Jordan Spieth the squeaky-clean good guy is 100% fallout from Tiger's life. Everyone wants to root for the good guy in golf, and the original one fell really hard. I wouldn't pass judgment about anyone I knew from television appearances, BTW.

BTW - Did anyone else see this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fFpPA4iYjI "The Fall of Tiger Woods."

I had no idea how much pressure his dad put on him, and how insane his personal life was until this weekend. The documentary director seems extremely agenda-driven with his narrative, but all of the stuff about Earl Woods wanting his son to be the next Buddha, and him putting for 8 hours a day after school, etc., the IMG Sports machine, etc. There's one part where the narrator claimed Tiger was having delusions that snipers were in the crowd ready to shoot him as he putted in championship events in 2007. Then there's a backstory about these poor black caddies who live across the street from Augusta with their insight about Tiger hitting 2-irons at Earl Woods while he stood perfectly still... Craziness...

That would explain the mental struggles he has right now...

Tony  

Where do your hyperboles come from? When did I suggest cheating and duping?

You're comparing the defense of Jordan Speith to those who defended Lance Armstrong to the bitter end. Your analogy is way off.

Kevin

You're comparing the defense of Jordan Speith to those who defended Lance Armstrong to the bitter end. Your analogy is way off.

When did I ever say to the bitter end for Lance?  You are twisting words to fit your agenda.

Tony  

Why did this thread evolved into JS bashing?   He seems like he is mature beyond his age and the last time I checked, that's not a bad thing.   He was one shot away from potentially winning his 3rd major tournaments in a row.   That wasn't boring, and it did not make him a fake.

What I don't get is why we are even taking up several pages talking about Spieth when he didn't even make it into the playoff?  Now he resets and gets ready for wherever he plans to play next.

It's like nobody even cares or gives any props to Zach Johnson for a really gutty performance. :doh:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!