IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My experience is many short par 4's don't set up well for driver unless they are very vanilla and honestly I don't enjoy courses like that. Even then a well struck 4i is enough to get well within 100 yard marker on some. Just last night I decided to hit thriver (12.5* 43" 280cc club) on a 317 par 4 and I almost never do. I usually err on the side of caution because anything but a near perfect drive ends up in trouble. The fairway slopes hard right to a sizable pond. If it doesn't hug the left side it's wet. I actually try to intentionally miss the fairway left to let the rough keep it from running down the slope. Thankfully nobody was on the green because my ball was inside the markers directing carts away from the green about 20 yards out. That's close enough to be concerned it could be considered hitting into people IMO.

I can understand that, however, at my skill level vanilla/easy is best for me. Courses with a lot of sloping fairways and lots of hazards/trouble just end up costing me a lot of golf balls and strokes. I am trying to prepare for a time when I can play the tougher courses, which is why I picked up the 5w so I have something to fall back on for safer tee shots that will still be far enough out to give me a short-ish approach.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well one of the progressions in golf is to try and drive as far down as possible, certainly not in the hazard, so how about at the green. Some setups are shorter which allow for using hybrid, 3/5 woods, and drivers. When am I suppose to practice midnight? Of course I might come close once in a while if I catch one. I usually hit first because I can't reach 300+ yard greens. Playing partners can so they may if not clear or laying up, should I wait too? One from Thursday where I drove towards front and he was on back of green after foursome putted out. Was I impatient to hit early or ready golf? Guys behind us.

^ You appear to have been in no danger of hitting someone on the green. If the ball has a chance of landing 20-30 yards of other players I wouldn't hit personally. Looks like you are 40 yards short to me. btw...it is nice to see you playing "safe golf" with the 7 iron cover. :)

^

You appear to have been in no danger of hitting someone on the green. If the ball has a chance of landing 20-30 yards of other players I wouldn't hit personally. Looks like you are 40 yards short to me.

btw...it is nice to see you playing "safe golf" with the 7 iron cover. :)

I'm guessing he was going to bump and run with the 7 iron... Probably something I need to learn to do as I under/over shoot with my wedges from that distance often.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

^ The "safe golf" was a joke/teasing. My best friend plays with iron head covers. I call them condoms and he takes the teasing well by telling me he is playing "safe golf." :)

Sorry, but this is wrong. When the first group of the day plays at 4:30, every group behind them is relegated to that pace as their absolute minimum. . I can almost guarantee, that the pace of play deteriorated to over 5 hours for groups teeing off an hour or so later than you. Proof that slow players don't generally even know that they're slow. That's why it's up to the course to set appropriate pace of play standards and enforce them. Since this course won't, that's exactly why I wouldn't play there. There are plenty of challenging, nice courses out there to choose from that understand that pace of play is one of the top complaints in golf today, and know that their continued livelihood depends on managing it. With few exceptions, those are the courses that get my business. On the flip side, I do understand that there are people who enjoy a slower pace, and if you can find a course that caters to that, than I'm happy for you. :beer:

:beer: I don't consider myself a slow player. I play alone on Tuesday evenings and I complete 18 holes in 2:15 when the course is open. My brother and I walk our home course in 3-3:30 on a typical Saturday. As a walking twosome we keep pace with foursomes in carts. Twosomes in carts will get up on us and we'll let them through. I enjoy walking and going at a good, consistent pace. Having to let people play through disrupts that rhythm. I enjoy the occasional round at the 4:30 course where I never have that concern. I think you're right. They are catering to a crowd looking for a more structured experience. That being said, I play my home course in 3-3:30 and this particular course in 4:30 with no change in my pace or rhythm. Back on topic though. It seems as though many people feel rushed when being pressed by other players, while others want to torch through the course like a racetrack and get out in 2:30. There will always be disagreement depending on which angle you take.

- Mark

I'm just going to say, most courses I play, the score card has rules section with a line marked etiquette. One of the items there is "Allow faster players to play through". Just saying.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I'm just going to say, most courses I play, the score card has rules section with a line marked etiquette. One of the items there is "Allow faster players to play through". Just saying.

Agree. As a matter of fact I am looking at the score card of Virginia Beach National, a Pete Dye, Curtis Strange course my wife and I visited today for lunch and the Local Rules read: * AVOID SLOW PLAY. Please keep pace with the group in front of you. When possible, allow faster players to play through. USGA Pace Rating: 4 hours & 18 minutes. Mind you this is a professional course that many visitors to the area want to play. We locals encourage it and take guests there, play, and practice. A bucket list kind of thing at a good price for walkers and carts although it's very long property wise if you walk. Has lakes, Pete's typical waste areas, and the big rolling hills for spectators with good views and wildlife. But really guests just want to take on his darn waste area carries and drop offs. A way out if you can hit to spots. Then enjoy it back at the clubhouse overlooking the expansive fairways and greens.

As all can see, anyone playing 18 in more than 3:00 is a slackard. Course pace be damned. Scheduling be damned. Conditions be damned. Seniors or juniors be damned.

We get it, the course belongs to the fastest. All others be damned!

Pardon my French, but KMA!

I'm damned glad those who hold this philosophy are not prevalent on my home course. Stay home where they put up with your arrogant tails! :pound:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Parkinson's law is the adage that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion".

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

As all can see, anyone playing 18 in more than 3:00 is a slackard. Course pace be damned. Scheduling be damned. Conditions be damned. Seniors or juniors be damned.

I'm damned glad those who hold this philosophy are not prevalent on my home course. Stay home where they put up with your arrogant tails!

Arrogant for expecting people to follow the etiquette rules of the course? Most don't mind people playing at their own pace as long as those people allow others who play faster through. The course belongs to all golfers, nobody is saying slower people shouldn't be allowed to be out there. Your constant inflammatory comments and use of "KMA" says more about your horrible attitude than anything said by anyone else in this entire thread. Course pace, as others have explained, is the maximum amount of time a round should take during peak time for a foursome. Obviously there's nothing anyone can do about slow play if the course is packed and everyone is in position *right behind the group in front*. However, that's not the situation we've all been discussing this whole time.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Arrogant for expecting people to follow the etiquette rules of the course? Most don't mind people playing at their own pace as long as those people allow others who play faster through. The course belongs to all golfers, nobody is saying slower people shouldn't be allowed to be out there. Your constant inflammatory comments and use of "KMA" says more about your horrible attitude than anything said by anyone else in this entire thread. Course pace, as others have explained, is the maximum amount of time a round should take during peak time for a foursome. Obviously there's nothing anyone can do about slow play if the course is packed and everyone is in position *right behind the group in front*. However, that's not the situation we've all been discussing this whole time

… THAT YOU STARTED.

I'm damned glad those who hold this philosophy are not prevalent on my home course. Stay home where they put up with your arrogant tails!

You just don't get it, do you?  Sorry for the interruption, keep digging.....

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I know I've posted a lot in this thread and think I've made a few valid points. Look, I live in an active adult community inside of a golf course. I think I can speak from experience golfing with all age range and gender golfers. I'm no spring chicken. Even had a few friends head off to golf heaven and played up to thier calling so I'm grateful to be able to walk and play - I get that. We have a gentleman ex professor now who organizes travel matches at other courses 3 times a week and he's in his 80's and gets around a little slower now. Monday's location they play at a mini Pinehurst with very elevated greens and several have to nearly drive up on them to get out. When I go about once a month, I expect to spend 5-6 hours. The course realizes this because of thier frequency but they pull over in groups as players near. Takes me out of rhythm but I love the guys dearly and try and hang in there then do lunch afterwards. All day thing sometimes when I want to get in and out. I'm just wired faster, even with my bad legs, walking or riding. That's me.

Parkinson's law is the adage that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion".

Good, let's see-

My threesome tee time 6:10. Delayed on #1 tee 15 minutes to allow maintenance to sweep #1 green. Tee off 6:25.

One threesome 8 minutes back from 6:10 (6:18). Ladies League 16 minutes back @ 6:26.

So maintenance set all back 15, but not really as we played quick on the first four (as did the threesome behind) to get the ladies off near their actual tee time. Let the threesome through at that point (ladies were on #2 fairway).

Played the rest of the round (no other groups between us and Ladies) a minimum of 2 full holes ahead.

Finished in 3:40, Ladies still 2 holes back, finished in 4:10. (Yeah I watched the lead group finish 18 from the parking lot at 10:40, 6:30 + 4:10 = 10:40 for the time challenged).

Yeah, we were slow and held the whole course up... my frickin' A!

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

...Your constant inflammatory comments and use of "KMA" says more about your horrible attitude than anything said by anyone else in this entire thread...

Please tell me where I have delayed anyone else's round.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Please tell me where I have delayed anyone else's round.

Please tell me where I said you delayed anyone's round. You quote something and make a completely unrelated comment.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Please tell me where I said you delayed anyone's round. You quote something and make a completely unrelated comment.

There were no faster players who were not invited to play through. If I delayed no ones round, why are you bitchin? :hmm:

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Note: This thread is 3169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!