IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think there's a stigma associated with playing slow, and no one wants to think of themselves as slow. I don't really care, and have been on both sides of the equation. I let people play through, and have been allowed to do so as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...BTW, My point is not that faster players shouldn't be let through when possible, it is that faster players need to realize that they need to muster a little courtesy too from time to time...

Do the responses here give any indication that that is likely? Or rather that they are entitled to fire "warning shots" to kick one off the stump?

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

It is people like you who ruin pace of play at courses and if your handicap is correct at 36.4 your probably one of the slowest groups on the course. Who made you golf god that you have the power to dictated the pace of play that people have to play behind you, I hope that one day karma takes it revenge on you, matter fact you should probably give up the sport entirely.

Perfect example of why golf is losing players. New players come online and quit in short order because of elitism such as this!

A "Gentleman's Game" no longer. :-(

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

OK, this thread was an interesting read. Bottom line to me is don't overthink this stuff.....if you can't keep up with the group ahead of you let faster players behind you play through.

Should one sit for 15 minutes to allow this to happen? B-)

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Should one sit for 15 minutes to allow this to happen?

We get it.  You've convinced yourself that you play "fast enough" and there's no need for anyone to play faster than you.  You won't let anyone play through, unless they're capable of playing their approach shots, chip shots if necessary and putt out before you can tee off on the next hole.

Despite people pointing out that that isn't how it works, and suggesting the proper way to let someone play through without having to "sit for 15 minutes for this to happen" you've just repeatedly pointed out why you aren't going to let a faster group play through.  None of them hold water of course, but if it makes you feel better about not following the proper etiquette then do what you gotta do...

• Upvote 1

The 18th tee.

17 is a short par 3.

I hit my 18 (par 4) approach as the twosome reached 18 tee.

Did they wait too long?

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

We get it.  You've convinced yourself that you play "fast enough" and there's no need for anyone to play faster than you.  You won't let anyone play through, unless they're capable of playing their approach shots, chip shots if necessary and putt out before you can tee off on the next hole.  Despite people pointing out that that isn't how it works, and suggesting the proper way to let someone play through without having to "sit for 15 minutes for this to happen" you've just repeatedly pointed out why you aren't going to let a faster group play through.  None of them hold water of course, but if it makes you feel better about not following the proper etiquette then do what you gotta do...

This is the truth CR. Like I said earlier, I was in an identical (down to the amount of golfers, the cart, me walking, then gaining on me and me starting to rush) and what I did was sit on the par 3 and take a break for what felt like 10 minutes but was most likely around 5 minutes until they came up. They were purposely going slower at the greens so they didn't have to wait for me and make both of us feel uncomfortable. Once they realized I was letting them play through, the went back to their pace and left me in the dust. I then had a stress free round. I am happy that you like my meme though. :)

• Administrator
Correct, if there is an open hole ahead, and there is a group waiting behind me, and it's clear they are moving faster then us, we'll offer to let them play through.

But I don't think I've ever seen that scenario, because I'm not a slow player, and this thread is not about slow play, if you want to address that issue, the slow play discussion is that way>

I'll try to be more clear- if I'm generally keeping up with the group ahead, but they're moving a bit faster because they're in carts and I'm walking, let's say they leave the green ahead and we're just teeing off, I have no reason to ask a group behind that is playing faster than normal to play through, why should I? the only thing that could happen is we'll get stuck waiting ahead.

You don't think you've ever seen that scenario… and then you describe that scenario. You're a full hole behind at that point and the gap is only going to get wider.

@CR McDivot , please multiquote: .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not sure why people who complete full rounds in 3 hours are called unreasonably fast players or rabbits or any other name implying they rush. As a player gets better, they naturally play faster. It's not like rushing every shot. If your tee shot is over 250 yards and your approach is pin high or within 5 to 15 yards from the green, it's natural you will take less time. The other thing I don't understand is why players wait around and take 5 minutes to line up a put, missing and taking another 2-3 minutes to line up again, miss, and spend another minute? I've watched this process from as little as 60 yards away, and it seems like the closer my party gets to the green the slower they putt. One of my playing partners timed it one time. It's happened on many rounds with many players. Not complaining, but it's weird.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I need to spend way more time actually trying to make the right read for my putts. I always feel rushed on the green. I don't know why but it's probably psychological.

Yeah, don't rush them either, just because players behind you are less than 100 yards away.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

When I play as a single, I dawdle. I don't want to be playing through everybody. If people wait for me I play past them quick, but I don't like playing through group after group, and it is hard not to as a single. I don't like playing as a single at busy times for that reason.

I practice putting from different spots, hit multiple balls, whatever it takes to slow me down.

The other thing I don't understand is why players wait around and take 5 minutes to line up a put, missing and taking another 2-3 minutes to line up again, miss, and spend another minute? I've watched this process from as little as 60 yards away, and it seems like the closer my party gets to the green the slower they putt. One of my playing partners timed it one time. It's happened on many rounds with many players. Not complaining, but it's weird.

I remember they did a study back when  there were pay phones. Half waited for the phones inconspicuously, so the person on the phone wasn't aware they were waiting, the other half made a big show of impatience and made their presence obvious. Guess which half waited longer, hint, it wasn't the people not making a fuss.

I have used that lesson throughout life and it generally works. If I am waiting for something, I don't make a show of it. It is human nature and probably goes back to fighting over bones at the mammoth roast. So no matter how angry you might be, you will most likely do better to appear cheerful and unconcerned.

Should one sit for 15 minutes to allow this to happen? B-)

If you had to wait 15 minutes for the two guys behind you to hit their drives and second shots, and they were gaining on you, then you must have been playing REALLY slowly. [img]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/evidence-youre-wrong-comic.jpg[/img]

I need to spend way more time actually trying to make the right read for my putts. I always feel rushed on the green. I don't know why but it's probably psychological.

OT: may I suggest you take a look at the threads on AimPoint Express? Once you learn it, the read is quickly done. And the confidence you get in your line should speed you up (or let you feel less rushed).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Or you could have let them play through if the course was open ahead of you as well, avoiding any possible confrontation and resulting in a happy ending for all parties involved.

I was playing a couple of weeks ago with some friends who are not regular golfers and they were very slow. A twosome caught up to us very quickly and, while I usually let people play through at the turn, I noticed that it was stressing one of my playing partners with those guys behind us. I waved them through and they waved back to go ahead and wouldn't hit. Finally, two holes later I just took my guys aside and waved them through again. They again resisted, so I had to walk back and ask them to please play through. IMO, they should have just played around us when they originally caught up, as twosomes do not have the right of way on our course, foursomes always do to encourage players to pair up and not mess up the pace of play. That is what I always do, that way nobody gets distracted. Of course, sometimes there is nowhere for a twosome to go so they are just sh*t out of luck. I wouldn't play in a twosome (or as a single) in that circumstance, even if people let you play through. It makes the pace of play even worse.

Bill M

OT: may I suggest you take a look at the threads on AimPoint Express? Once you learn it, the read is quickly done. And the confidence you get in your line should speed you up (or let you feel less rushed).

Thanks. Is this the system where you have to take tools out and measure this and that? And then map the greens? I don't think I am to that point in my game to be that technical, honestly.

Thanks. Is this the system where you have to take tools out and measure this and that? And then map the greens? I don't think I am to that point in my game to be that technical, honestly.

No, with Express you learn to sense the slope with your feet; only takes a few seconds do, so it's fast. With that info, you look at the hole with fingers up to identify an "aimpoint."

(The charts were for the first AimPoint technique, which I think they call Midpoint.  AimPoint Express doesn't use those.)

My game isn't that good either, but I figured I'd eventually want to know how this works.  Better sooner than later, I figured, and I'm glad I did.  Once I've got that aimpoint identified, my nervousness about a putt goes way down: I know that point is correct and I start the ball at it.  The rest is speed.

• Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 3171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!