IGNORED

Unlimited Golf for $107.....

Duff McGee
Note: This thread is 3201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am trying to lose weight and get exercise. I own my own law firm so my schedule is flexible. There is a course 15 minutes away that is offering unlimited golf for $107 per month and free range tokens. It is usually over $40 per round. I had this brilliant (?) idea last night that I should sign up for this and play 6 days a week. It would be like a gym membership in a way. And I would actually wake up early and want to do this type of exercise. Now the problem: I will feel like I have to play this same course all the time. I went there this morning to try it out and I wasn't too happy with the course. It is extremely narrow and almost every par 4 or 5 has a dogleg between 210 and 250. I only played the first nine and in all honesty, I shouldn't have ever pulled driver out of the bag. When I did, I shot through each dogleg. I hit a straight 300 yard drive on a par 5 and ended up behind a freaking tree! This is the only nearby course offering this. It's a year commitment and it will eat into my money for other courses I want to play, yet is so cheap that I could afford to play golf every day instead of about twice a week. What would you guys do in my situation? Will I get bored and regret this year long contract? I hate getting up early but I can do it for golf.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You had to sign up for a whole year to get that rate?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

It sounds like you are asking us to give you reasons not to do this. You are already talking yourself out of it. My opinion is don't sign up for a year long membership to a course you don't like. Even if the rate is good, if you dislike the layout, you won't be happy with it. I suggest passing on the membership and playing golf at other area courses that you like, when the time allows.
  • Upvote 1

I bought a membership at the local nine hole last year. Total dog track. Hate the course. I sand trap on the whole thing. One water hazard. Skunk torn greens. But i played it. A lot. At sunrise twice a week and whenever i could during the day. I went from shooting 120 to mid eighties by the end of the summer. That course began my golf journey. Now i hardly ever go there but it birthed my game. I found it worth it. You might too if you are looking at it as a free range and realistic practice more than playing "goff"

Last year I got a membership for $950, and it can be played at 7,000 yards. I played it a ton, but hated the course. I did however shoot par for the first time in my life, and drop my handicap from 6 to a 4 which suck if you want to play for money lol. I wouldn't do it again though, I got so sick of playing the same course.

Driver: Titleist 910d2

Irons: Mizuno MP4s kbs tour shafts

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Balls: Pro v1x 

I bought a membership at the local nine hole last year. Total dog track. Hate the course. I sand trap on the whole thing. One water hazard. Skunk torn greens. But i played it. A lot. At sunrise twice a week and whenever i could during the day. I went from shooting 120 to mid eighties by the end of the summer. That course began my golf journey. Now i hardly ever go there but it birthed my game. I found it worth it. You might too if you are looking at it as a free range and realistic practice more than playing "goff"

That is very true. If I think of it as exercise and practice it might help. I feel like I am being spoiled bc it is actually a pretty nice course...it's just different. It is all moguls, very narrow fairway, dog legs, and very challenging greens. It's pretty well kept up too. I really am not trying to get you guys to convince me out of it. I love the idea, it's just whether I want to be locked in. It's so cheap though and the range balls alone basically pay for itself.

I am trying to lose weight and get exercise. I own my own law firm so my schedule is flexible. There is a course 15 minutes away that is offering unlimited golf for $107 per month and free range tokens. It is usually over $40 per round. I had this brilliant (?) idea last night that I should sign up for this and play 6 days a week. It would be like a gym membership in a way. And I would actually wake up early and want to do this type of exercise. Now the problem: I will feel like I have to play this same course all the time. I went there this morning to try it out and I wasn't too happy with the course. It is extremely narrow and almost every par 4 or 5 has a dogleg between 210 and 250. I only played the first nine and in all honesty, I shouldn't have ever pulled driver out of the bag. When I did, I shot through each dogleg. I hit a straight 300 yard drive on a par 5 and ended up behind a freaking tree! This is the only nearby course offering this. It's a year commitment and it will eat into my money for other courses I want to play, yet is so cheap that I could afford to play golf every day instead of about twice a week. What would you guys do in my situation? Will I get bored and regret this year long contract? I hate getting up early but I can do it for golf.

I did something similar. It's great, except I feel everywhere else is too expensive. . .

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks Lihu and everyone else. I am leaning towards doing it. It's good for the mind, health, and gets me out of the bourse bright and early.

Is this the course I think it is? I've been thinking of joining it for the same reason, but have been hesitant about pulling the trigger for the same reason.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Is this the course I think it is? I've been thinking of joining it for the same reason, but have been hesitant about pulling the trigger for the same reason.

The Classic

yep. So I'll be hitting... 7 irons off the ladies tees?

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

yep. So I'll be hitting... 7 irons off the ladies tees?

Basically. I think you would have a better time from the blue tees (which used to be white like you probably already know) If I was playing from the gold tees I would likely be hitting 6 iron a lot of the time. As it is I will be hitting mostly 4 and 5 iron. Actually I will probably move back to the blacks next time.

I'd pull the trigger........1300 for a year of unlimited play at the Classic.....first, if you are looking to get some exercise, it is a decent walk....second, I truly believe that Classic will imporove your game.......IDK how the greens are right now (haven't played it a few years), but you have to be a shotmaker to play that course....but i agree that it isn't a wide open bombers paradise, but that is OK too....

• Upvote 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I'd pull the trigger........1300 for a year of unlimited play at the Classic.....first, if you are looking to get some exercise, it is a decent walk....second, I truly believe that Classic will imporove your game.......IDK how the greens are right now (haven't played it a few years), but you have to be a shotmaker to play that course....but i agree that it isn't a wide open bombers paradise, but that is OK too....

I'm impressed with how many locals are on this site. Thanks for the advice! I also don't want to give the impression that I didn't like the course or that I am just some "hit the big bomb" kind of golfer. It's just that I learned to play golf by basically hitting 5 iron off of every hole at Foster back in high school and my long iron game is probably the best part of my entire game. Likewise, my short game from 100 in is very good (at least compared to the average Joe golfer). So I really want to get better at keeping the ball in the fairway with my driver bc it seems I always go OB at least one time each round and it just kills my score, not to mention being in the trees half the time. But like you said, it's a challenging course and is a great deal and it will just help my iron game even more. Why not improve on something you are already good at right?

I'd do it $107 is a great deal for unlimited golf. So it has narrow fairways you'll just have to work on accuracy will end up being great for your game in the long run, and the dog legs means you get plenty of practice trying to work the ball different directions, If you played this difficult 6 times a week within 3 months you'd be a much better golfer. I joined a club for the summer membership $400 for 6 months and all I have to play is cart fee, so $20 for 18, $10 for 9. Now I've been playing 4-5 times a week after work I always play this course and like every other weekend or so I don't feel like I must always play here but I do love the course. It has helped me go from a 90's golfer to an 80's golfer in just a couple months, so I say do it and don't regret it.

• Upvote 1

It's just that I learned to play golf by basically hitting 5 iron off of every hole at Foster back in high school and my long iron game is probably the best part of my entire game.

Too funny...I grew up in Burien and went to Highline H.S. back in the day ....played Tyee as a kid

• Upvote 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Too funny...I grew up in Burien and went to Highline H.S. back in the day ....played Tyee as a kid

Hey, how about that.  I grep up in Normandy Park.  Highline would have been my school, but I actually went to high school in Tacoma (Charles Wright).

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Quote:

Originally Posted by armymedic2

I bought a membership at the local nine hole last year. Total dog track. Hate the course. I sand trap on the whole thing. One water hazard. Skunk torn greens.

But i played it. A lot. At sunrise twice a week and whenever i could during the day. I went from shooting 120 to mid eighties by the end of the summer. That course began my golf journey. Now i hardly ever go there but it birthed my game.

I found it worth it. You might too if you are looking at it as a free range and realistic practice more than playing "goff"

That is very true. If I think of it as exercise and practice it might help. I feel like I am being spoiled bc it is actually a pretty nice course...it's just different.

It is all moguls, very narrow fairway, dog legs, and very challenging greens.

It's pretty well kept up too. I really am not trying to get you guys to convince me out of it. I love the idea, it's just whether I want to be locked in. It's so cheap though and the range balls alone basically pay for itself.

Playing a course that does not fit your "style" will, IMO, make you a better golfer.  And at that price, even if you only played 2x a month and hit the range a few times you are ahead of the game.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!