IGNORED

John Daly for Ryder Cup Captain?

Fourputt
Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

you are drawing an equivalence between war and a game.... i think you need a healthy dose of perspective...

one of my uncle's didn't get zapped with agent orange (and die shortly thereafter) so that i could care about a stupid golf exhibition...

3 other uncles served, one attended the usma, and my father attended the usna... both of my grandfathers served...

it is a FREAKING GAME....

One that you are allowed to play thanks to your uncles and your grandfather. Yes I know it's just a FREAKING GAME.

Have you read the book "How to win friends and influence people"? -apparently you have not

The Olympics and Ryder Cup have so many dynamics that make them different.

- Ryder Cup participants have close friends on tour from multiple countries. Many of these same players might be on oposing teams during this exhibition. The counties competing against each other are strong allies and the players know each other. In many cases they are close friends.

To me the Ryder Cup is simply for bragging rights b/w two groups of individuals to which field may be slightly better at a given time.

I cannot view it as a patriotic event no matter how many insults you throw at others on this thread.

You could take a laxative...it might make you feel better.

I don't live my life to try and Win friends or Influence people. What you see is what you get with me. I have plenty of friends that would do anything for me as I would for them. Never tried to win them over or influence them once. Neat story though.

• Upvote 1

One that you are allowed to play thanks to your uncles and your grandfather. Yes I know it's just a FREAKING GAME.

I get your point, but just to keep things real, women have only recently been "allowed" to play at some clubs. If we didn't have a military...things would certainly be different but we'd still play golf. There's a golf course in North Korea. Just saying.....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj

you are drawing an equivalence between war and a game.... i think you need a healthy dose of perspective...

one of my uncle's didn't get zapped with agent orange (and die shortly thereafter) so that i could care about a stupid golf exhibition...

3 other uncles served, one attended the usma, and my father attended the usna... both of my grandfathers served...

it is a FREAKING GAME....

please...   stop...   you are dishonoring the military with your commentary...  you are taking an overly simplistic viewpoint with no perspective...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

And ignorant.

This tells me nobody in your family fought for our country and Died. Yes it' just a silly golf exhibition. Yet it  tells me all I need to know about you.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous post in the thread.  You dishonor their sacrifice and memory, IMO, by using them as some kind of deus ex machina argument in a debate about which millionaires we root for in a sporting event.  I'm guessing that the freedom they died for includes the freedom to root for whoever you damn well please without having your patriotisim questioned.

Get a grip.

I don't care who you root for, I just think there's more patriotism involved in the Ryder Cup and Presidents than you're acknowledging.  I will root for Rory and Day during regular tournaments but not during the Ryder or Presidents Cup.

And that is fine.  Just as NOT rooting for the team of your nation is ALSO just fine.  It isn't a one-size-fits-all-world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

If you don't root for your countrymen in a game, you might as well pack up and move to Iraq. GET OUT OF ARE CONTRY!

Our.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotsclaff

Our.

Gentlemen, I believe the misspellings were a feature not a bug.  As in mocking those who believe that who one roots for in a sporting event tells anybody anything about one's patriotism.  Note the intentional absurdity of the if-then proposition - a dead giveaway.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I would love to see daly on the project.

I feel te USA really see the RC for what it is ; a sort of exhibition. Therefore they dont really care much.

In Europe it's our only chance to preach our golfing existence considering the US domination of golf individually and on an organizational basis. (3 majors out of 4 in the USA etc. etc.). of course there is a sponsor thing behind the scenes so there are no "no shows" and plenty of "it's great" towards the media.

so team europe really have a blast at this thing.

I think daly is spot on. Have a blast. your down  ? take a beer and fluorescente pants.

top of it all I believe daly is a great golfer, a great humain, a great motive (pleasure), has huge expérience in winning and most important ; in loosing it all. the best managers of the world comme with this.

john daly is a great human being? dang, what are they putting in the wine in france these days? :-P ot: southern france is one of the finest places in the world to live... i would love to retire there...

Quite possibly the most ridiculous post in the thread.  You dishonor their sacrifice and memory, IMO, by using them as some kind of deus ex machina argument in a debate about which millionaires we root for in a sporting event.  I'm guessing that the freedom they died for includes the freedom to root for whoever you damn well please without having your patriotisim questioned. Get a grip. And that is fine.  Just as NOT rooting for the team of your nation is ALSO just fine.  It isn't a one-size-fits-all-world. Gentlemen, I believe the misspellings were a feature not a bug.  As in mocking those who believe that who one roots for in a sporting event tells anybody anything about one's patriotism.  Note the intentional absurdity of the if-then proposition - a dead giveaway.

Thank you. I thought I was posting in a group of people who get sarcasm. I was wrong lol.

[quote name="turtleback" url="/t/83654/john-daly-for-ryder-cup-captain/120#post_1186673"] Quite possibly the most ridiculous post in the thread.  You dishonor their sacrifice and memory, IMO, by using them as some kind of deus ex machina argument in a debate about which millionaires we root for in a sporting event.  I'm guessing that the freedom they died for includes the freedom to root for whoever you damn well please without having your patriotisim questioned. Get a grip. And that is fine.  Just as NOT rooting for the team of your nation is ALSO just fine.  It isn't a one-size-fits-all-world. Gentlemen, I believe the misspellings were a feature not a bug.  As in mocking those who believe that who one roots for in a sporting event tells anybody anything about one's patriotism.  Note the intentional absurdity of the if-then proposition - a dead giveaway.

Thank you. I thought I was posting in a group of people who get sarcasm. I was wrong lol.[/quote] unfortunately, the sarcasm didn't come through because of other posts from other posters... :-(

unfortunately, the sarcasm didn't come through because of other posts from other posters... :-(

That's the point of satire though lol. I doubt that most people didn't pick up on it.

dang, what are they putting in the wine in france these days?

about 75% of all agricultures toxic consumption of france concerning chemical pesticides, insecticides, fertilizers and such.

wine is not good on a environmental basis. even organic stamped product have a huge amount of tolerated crap yet stay stamped organic. sorry.

drink Australian.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Patrick

To not pull for your own country is well.....un American.

Maybe in a war, but not a sporting event.

There is such a thing as national pride.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a patriot, and and as much as I dislike Patrick Reed, I would never root against the home team.

This is why it is nice that it is not a one size fits all world.  I wanted Spieth to beat Day, but if it had come down to Day and Dustin I would have rooted for Day.  National pride is a good thing, but to call someone un-American because of who he roots for in a sporting event is just . . . bizarre, if not xenophobic.

I agree in a regular tournament - I always have my favorites and they aren't necessarily American.  I was pulling hard for Jason Day in The PGA.

However, in the Ryder Cup it's a team event, US against Europe, not Spieth against McIlroy.  Where I might root for McIlroy the individual at the Masters, I'd be rooting for Speith the American as a member of the US team in the Ryder Cup.  I'll applaud whoever wins with a  rousing "Well played!", but it will be tempered by my support for my home team.  I don't go so far as to call not doing so un-American, but I do find it a bit odd.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I agree in a regular tournament - I always have my favorites and they aren't necessarily American.  I was pulling hard for Jason Day in The PGA.

However, in the Ryder Cup it's a team event, US against Europe, not Spieth against McIlroy.  Where I might root for McIlroy the individual at the Masters, I'd be rooting for Speith the American as a member of the US team in the Ryder Cup.  I'll applaud whoever wins with a  rousing "Well played!", but it will be tempered by my support for my home team.  I don't go so far as to call not doing so un-American, but I do find it a bit odd.

Genuinely curious here and not trying to be snarky or derisive - do you consider it odd for people who live in Denver to not root for/support the Broncos/Avalanche/Rockies/Nuggets?  I ask just because I know people who live in, say, San Diego, who are rabid Chargers fans and consider you about one stop short of a full-on commie pinko if you don't paint your face blue and gold and cheer for the Bolts. :-)

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

[QUOTE name="Fourputt" url="/t/83654/john-daly-for-ryder-cup-captain/126#post_1188066"]   I agree in a regular tournament - I always have my favorites and they aren't necessarily American.  I was pulling hard for Jason Day in The PGA.   However, in the Ryder Cup it's a team event, US against Europe, not Spieth against McIlroy.  Where I might root for McIlroy the individual at the Masters, I'd be rooting for Speith the American as a member of the US team in the Ryder Cup.  I'll applaud whoever wins with a  rousing "Well played!", but it will be tempered by my support for my home team. I don't go so far as to call not doing so un-American, but I do find it a bit odd. [/QUOTE] Genuinely curious here and not trying to be snarky or derisive - do you consider it odd for people who live in Denver to not root for/support the Broncos/Avalanche/Rockies/Nuggets?  I ask just because I know people who live in, say, San Diego, who are rabid Chargers fans and consider you about one stop short of a full-on commie pinko if you don't paint your face blue and gold and cheer for the Bolts. :-)

here in the philly area, if you aren't a birds fan, you are lucky to get out alive.... :-O :-P the rc "level of hate" is about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 1 million, with 1 million being the hatred eagles fans have for the cowboys and their fans... :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

I don't go so far as to call not doing so un-American, but I do find it a bit odd.

And, of course, that was my point.  Elevating who someone is rooting for as a basis for calling them un-American.  It is who we are rooting for in a GAME, for goodness sake.

Which is why I completely stand behind my only substantive statement in the thread, in response to a claim that not rooting for the US Ryder Cup team is un-American.

Quote:
Maybe in a war, but not a sporting event.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Genuinely curious here and not trying to be snarky or derisive - do you consider it odd for people who live in Denver to not root for/support the Broncos/Avalanche/Rockies/Nuggets?  I ask just because I know people who live in, say, San Diego, who are rabid Chargers fans and consider you about one stop short of a full-on commie pinko if you don't paint your face blue and gold and cheer for the Bolts.

Sure, I root for my home team in the sports that I pay any attention too (baseball, football).  But I'm a fan, not a fanatic about any of them (I'm still a Viking fan and I haven't lived in Minnesota for 50 years).

The Ryder Cup is once every 2 years, and it's a national team, not city or state, against a multinational team.  And yes, I do see it as no different from the Olympics.  While I can still applaud good play from any player, I'll pull all the way for the team or individual that represents my country.  I don't see how you can see this as anything but an expected attitude, and I certainly find it odd that any American would root against his own country's team, just as I'd find it odd if a European rooted against his team.  It's not like you can't root for your favorite player against all comers the other 103 weeks between the Cup matches.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Genuinely curious here and not trying to be snarky or derisive - do you consider it odd for people who live in Denver to not root for/support the Broncos/Avalanche/Rockies/Nuggets?  I ask just because I know people who live in, say, San Diego, who are rabid Chargers fans and consider you about one stop short of a full-on commie pinko if you don't paint your face blue and gold and cheer for the Bolts. :-)

Well, there are those of us who have lived all over the U.S. and really don't claim any "home town" favorite. I was born in Louisiana but grew up bouncing between Texas/Oklahoma..mostly Texas and was a Cowboy fan at a young age and have remained ever since. I lived in Colorado recently had couldn't give the slightest damn about Denver anything...but I am a Payton fan...I always pull for the U.S. in the RC. But I'd pull for Sergio, Day, Joost, any day on the tour over Keegan, Campbell, Chesson...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The Ryder Cup is once every 2 years, and it's a national team, not city or state, against a multinational team.  And yes, I do see it as no different from the Olympics.  While I can still applaud good play from any player, I'll pull all the way for the team or individual that represents my country.  I don't see how you can see this as anything but an expected attitude, and I certainly find it odd that any American would root against his own country's team, just as I'd find it odd if a European rooted against his team.  It's not like you can't root for your favorite player against all comers the other 103 weeks between the Cup matches.

I didn't give my stance on the Ryder Cup to appeal to the masses or to try to change others opinions. I expressed my stance as I thought it might bring a different perspective on the event. It also opened up a lot of dialog on the subject. There will always be haters that want to call others names, say they should move to Europe, or question ones patriotism. I just look at the sports of tennis and golf differently than a large % of the population. When I got into golf around 2003 and started watching different players I picked out swings I liked or thought were interesting, interesting characters, great shot makers, etc. Over time I have discovered players I like much better than others... Examples include Retief, Cabrera, Boo Weekley, Bubba, Jason Day, Rory, Stenson, Mikelson, Harrington, Koepka, Fowler, etc. I don't care where they were born and they can't help where they were born. So after a couple of years I discover the Ryder Cup and I try to come to grips with the idea of pulling for a player I find less interesting (Jimmy Walker), boring and annoying as hell on the putting green (Furyk), or arrogant (Patrick Reed) just b/c they were born in the US. If any of the players from my list above where to play against the three players I just mentioned, I would pull for my favorite players. If Poulter or Sabatini played an American I would always cheer for the American player. Anyway, I don't expect anyone to have the same viewpoint as me. However, I would think one could at least see where I am coming without hateful remarks.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!