IGNORED

Who would the media prefer to take over Tiger's mantle?

Scotsclaff
Note:Β This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

No doubt it's Jordan Spieth. They are already all over this kid. They play up his All American looks, background and family which appeals to their demographic. He fits the mold perfectly although IMO he's not as choir boyish as they make him. He can have quite the temper when a shot doesn't go as planned.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No doubt it's Jordan Spieth. They are already all over this kid. They play up his All American looks, background and family which appeals to their demographic. He fits the mold perfectly although IMO he's not as choir boyish as they make him. He can have quite the temper when a shot doesn't go as planned.

they've been trying to shove him down our throat for quite awhile, and many of us keep spitting him out...Β  part of the reason i keep spitting him out is BECAUSE they keep trying to shove him down my throat...

tiger, like him or not, is "not repeatable"...Β Β  there may be someone who matches his level of play someday (as a matter of fact, i'd be shocked if someone doesn't, records are made to be broken), but as far as "bring the same level of interest as tiger did", it's hard to see that happening...Β Β  i remember "tiger mania" quite well, no one has even come close to sniffing that level of interest, let alone getting there...

I think some of the comments here are off base. "Shove him down our throats? " Seriously? If anything, I think the media have rather underplayed his story over the past 2 years. Choir boy? I don't know about that. He's certainly never presented himself that way. He has a temper occasionally when he hits a bad shot? My, call the police. If that makes him less than perfect, I bet any of us would take that.

There is nothing about the image of Jordan Spieth that has been presented from the time he came upon the scene that isn't true. He's a genuine good guy who values hard work, family, dedication, good solid values. What's not to admire about that? Damn, sports needs someone like that since most of our sports images are of less than laudable people.

I think people who "bash" must be very unhappy or bitter or maybe they're just haters. But I don't get it. Celebrate the kid. In a world of millennials living in their parents basements with no interest in jobs or behaving like decent human beings can't we all just be grateful that in Jordan Spieth we have a fine example of what is possible?

I think "Tiger Mania" has been overrated, to say the least. Who did he bring to golf? Practically no one. The kids I've taught in the past 10 years or so all came of age during the Tiger era. They might tune in occasionally when he was hot but they were more interested in him as a object of gossip and not as a golfer. The same people who golfed in 1997 are still golfing today. There was no "explosion" of golf interest during the Tiger era. Golf courses are closing at record numbers. Look on tour. Where are all the minorities that Tiger was going to bring to the game and to the tour? They don't exist.

Tiger was one of the greatest golfers of all time. It was exciting to watch him. I still hope he recovers if possible. I miss watching him. But he never "moved me" as a person. Jordan Spieth (and a few others) does and I think that's what really makes him special.

they've been trying to shove him down our throat for quite awhile, and many of us keep spitting him out...Β  part of the reason i keep spitting him out is BECAUSE they keep trying to shove him down my throat...

tiger, like him or not, is "not repeatable"...Β Β  there may be someone who matches his level of play someday (as a matter of fact, i'd be shocked if someone doesn't, records are made to be broken), but as far as "bring the same level of interest as tiger did", it's hard to see that happening...Β Β  i remember "tiger mania" quite well, no one has even come close to sniffing that level of interest, let alone getting there...

He's been "shoved down your throat" because he's won two Majors and nearly won a third, along withΒ 5 other tournaments in two years.Β  He's usually in contention which means he's going to get coverage.

Joe Paradiso

[QUOTE name="ccotenj" url="/t/83689/who-would-the-media-prefer-to-take-over-tigers-mantle/0_30#post_1181128"] Β  they've been trying to shove him down our throat for quite awhile, and many of us keep spitting him out...Β  part of the reason i keep spitting him out is BECAUSE they keep trying to shove him down my throat... tiger, like him or not, is "not repeatable"...Β Β  there may be someone who matches his level of play someday (as a matter of fact, i'd be shocked if someone doesn't, records are made to be broken), but as far as "bring the same level of interest as tiger did", it's hard to see that happening...Β Β  i remember "tiger mania" quite well, no one has even come close to sniffing that level of interest, let alone getting there... [/QUOTE] He's been "shoved down your throat" because he's won two Majors and nearly won a third, along withΒ 5 other tournaments in two years.Β  He's usually in contention which means he's going to get coverage.

that's not the "shoving down my throat" i mean... he deserves the coverage he gets, he is a great player, and i expect him to remain a great player... and i like to watch him play (i do not like the "we" thing)... i mean "they" try too hard... i think i've caught on that he is young, for example... it was the same thing with rory a few years back...

that's not the "shoving down my throat" i mean... he deserves the coverage he gets, he is a great player, and i expect him to remain a great player... and i like to watch him play (i do not like the "we" thing)...

i mean "they" try too hard... i think i've caught on that he is young, for example...

it was the same thing with rory a few years back...

They medias job is to talk aboutΒ whoever is hot, since Tiger has faded, Rory, Reed, Bradley and now Jordan have had their moments in the spotlight.Β  Jordan has gotten the most coverage because he's been consistent the last two years and had a shot at the Grand Slam this year.

Joe Paradiso

They medias job is to talk aboutΒ whoever is hot, since Tiger has faded, Rory, Reed, Bradley and now Jordan have had their moments in the spotlight.Β  Jordan has gotten the most coverage because he's been consistent the last two years and had a shot at the Grand Slam this year.

I don't know if I would include Reed and Bradley in the same sentence as Rory and Jordan. Rory and Jordan have six majors between them and the other two have one. I think you're gonna see the media focus less on "the next Tiger" and try and hype a Jordan-Rory rivalry as I think that will drive interest more. Golf really hasn't had a good rivalry since Jack-Arnie and maybe a little bit of Jack-Tom. Also Keegan and Reed are not very well-liked compared to the other two.

I don't know if I would include Reed and Bradley in the same sentence as Rory and Jordan. Rory and Jordan have six majors between them and the other two have one. I think you're gonna see the media focus less on "the next Tiger" and try and hype a Jordan-Rory rivalry as I think that will drive interest more. Golf really hasn't had a good rivalry since Jack-Arnie and maybe a little bit of Jack-Tom.

Reed was the topic of almost every tournament when he said he was a Top 5 player during a post tournament interview.Β Β I agree Keegan hasn't gotten theΒ same level of attention but he's had his moments during tournaments, his Ryder CupΒ partnering with Phil andΒ havingΒ Pat Bradley asΒ an aunt.

Joe Paradiso

Patrick Reed is one of the very few pros that I can't warm up to. I might even say I actively dislike him. His demeanor, boreishness, attitude, and frankly his size (sorry, athletes are fit these days and there is no reason any one at that age should look like he's been eating too many candy bars) are annoying. That comment that got him so much attention was ridiculous. What a contrast he is with Jordan or Ricky or you name it. Like they say, he might not be a jerk but he plays when very well on TV.

you think the golf media has "underplayed" the spieth story?????

if you think "tiger mania" is overrated, you have a rather short memory...

oh well...

I didn't say the "golf media." I think in the media in general the Spieth story has been underplayed.

You might want to read what I said about "tiger mania" before making a cheap shot. As I said, in retrospect, "tiger mania" has not grown the game of golf among minorities and has brought very few, if any, people to the game of golf. This has been well documented. But it's easier to lob bombs than do actual research :)

Thats one of the reasons I dont like Tiger is because he is shoved down our throats no matter what hes shooting.Jordan is getting that way but I dont dislike him because hes not an ego maniac like Tiger plus I dont really see anyone folding around Jordan since hes not physically intimidating like Tiger was.

Thats one of the reasons I dont like Tiger is because he is shoved down our throats no matter what hes shooting.Jordan is getting that way but I dont dislike him because hes not an ego maniac like Tiger plus I dont really see anyone folding around Jordan since hes not physically intimidating like Tiger was.

So you don't like Tiger because of what the media/broadcasts choose to cover??

Tiger doesn't control the cameras.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Yeah I understand that but it can make you not like him if media goes crazy over him all the time.Im sure you all have seen it in his heydey.He would make one birdie and the announcers would say uh oh here he comes.Im like seriously? He made a birdie.I know its not his fault they fawn all over him but it gets old especially when someone is winning all the time.Thats any sport.

Note:Β This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!