IGNORED

Playing a round with ONLY the driver?

Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You can use it all day as a walking stick, sleep with it  or attach an umbrella to it. It won't help you off the tee.

It's the swing that does it.

Good additional suggestions Shorty. Especially the umbrella one.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Maybe.

So there is nothing anyone can say to make you realise that the idea is ridiculous? Will carrying a steering wheel around with you and using it as a shovel or baseball bat make you a better car handler? There is no difference.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

So there is nothing anyone can say to make you realise that the idea is ridiculous? Will carrying a steering wheel around with you and using it as a shovel or baseball bat make you a better car handler? There is no difference.

I was just joking about the umbrella. After reading some of the responses I think maybe the plan needs to be modified a little.  Sand for example might be an exception. But it's not totally crazy. Check this video out:

I was just joking about the umbrella. After reading some of the responses I think maybe the plan needs to be modified a little.  Sand for example might be an exception. But it's not totally crazy. Check this video out:

Yes but that is just for fun. Ask either of them if what you are suggesting is a good idea and I guarantee you that they would say no.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

It's a challenge , not a training tool. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 1 month later...

I would think you would be fairly bored after several holes. My suggestion would be take all your clubs but look for unusual places where the driver may be useful. For instance lets say you have a flat level lie and a shot of about 200 yds. down hill but to a slightly elevated green. Your 3 wood (your longest fairway club) just doesn't make the incline and you are always short. A driver was the perfectly solution for me after many try's with a 3 wood. The trick is a very smooth and almost slow motion swing. You will be surprised at how easily you can hit a driver off the deck and make it fly150 yds. If I had to give you an image I would tell you to think of having a long chip shot with too much club.The trouble comes when you try to hit it 200+. This one probably happens a lot. You've cut (sliced) your driver into the first row of trees on a dogleg  right. You have a full swing but low hanging branches, and all you can see is 40yds. left of the green that is 150 yds. away. The conventional play is a long iron played back in your stance with an open clubface. For me it was much simpler (?) to hit a normal driver off the deck but cut off the swing a bit after contact. If/when you try the first example  allow for a good amount a fade/slice to start with. But I'm guessing with the slow swing speed you will soon see an improvement in your swing path.You'll find many more but here is one last one. Not off the deck but same thought process. Par 3 180yds. that I swear plays  225yds. I carry my driver about 200. A little half swing slow motion shot does the trick.

OK enough of this crap lets talk about "Air Coryell".  Don't know how old you are but back in the early 80's when football was 3 yards and a cloud of dust, the Chargers were a don't miss game. Fouts too Charlie Jointer, Kellen Winslow, John Jefferson or Wes Chandler was "THE SHOW".  A lot of 300yd. passing games with those guys.

When I'm hitting poorly I go to the range and hit a few large buckets. If that doesn't help I hit some more. I don't like going to a course and knowing I'm going to spray balls everywhere, even though it happens. I want to have the confidence going in to the round that I'm hitting good.

I've done it. It was at a charity function for juvenile diabetes. We could only use our drivers. Shot a 98, which earned $180 for the charity. Bunkers were not that bad as long as you just wanted to get out of the bunker. Longer shots were the next difficult. Chips and putts, after gripping down, were the easiest. Being able to hit a driver off the deck is a thing of beauty. :beer:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I've done it. It was at a charity function for juvenile diabetes. We could only use our drivers. Shot a 98, which earned $180 for the charity. Bunkers were not that bad as long as you just wanted to get out of the bunker. Longer shots were the next difficult. Chips and putts, after gripping down, were the easiest. Being able to hit a driver off the deck is a thing of beauty.

That's awesome!  I appreciate yours and these recent responses. Especially after the disparagement I took in the beginning which had me looking for a way to delete the post. What are your thoughts on my original premise - that it would make you more comfortable overall with the driver?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patch

I've done it. It was at a charity function for juvenile diabetes. We could only use our drivers. Shot a 98, which earned $180 for the charity. Bunkers were not that bad as long as you just wanted to get out of the bunker. Longer shots were the next difficult. Chips and putts, after gripping down, were the easiest. Being able to hit a driver off the deck is a thing of beauty.

That's awesome!  I appreciate yours and these recent responses. Especially after the disparagement I took in the beginning which had me looking for a way to delete the post. What are your thoughts on my original premise - that it would make you more comfortable overall with the driver?

I am a rebel when it come to golf swing instruction. I believe that to become comfortable with a driver, the fastest way, is to become proficient with longer pitch shots, then longer approach shots. It's my belief that once you can hit good shots from 150 yards, with whatever club is your 150 yard club, you can use most of that swing for your metal woods. This even though irons take a divot, and metal woods usually don't, which requires somewhat of different downswing.

I am pro learning the game backwards from the putter to the driver. Learning a  good putting stroke make for a good chipping stroke, which makes for a good pitching stroke, which makes for a better long iron stroke, and so on back to the driver. With that in mind I have no problem with learning the swings from the tee box to the greens as they work just as well given the right instruction.  I just think, from experience, for the amateur, that learning the easier, shorter (club) shots first, makes it easier to learn the tougher, longer (club) shots , which the amateur golfer does not use as much.

I just don't think, for the newbie, or amateur golfer, that using a driver right off the bat should be a priority. The main idea of golf is to get around the course in the least amount of strokes. For the newbie, the driver probably adds strokes until they become comfortable. with their $200+, big dog driver. All a golf swing is intended to do is make the ball go where the golfer want it to go. The driver is the hardest club in one's bag to do just that. A putter is the easiest.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I am a rebel when it come to golf swing instruction. I believe that to become comfortable with a driver, the fastest way, is to become proficient with longer pitch shots, then longer approach shots. It's my belief that once you can hit good shots from 150 yards, with whatever club is your 150 yard club, you can use most of that swing for your metal woods. This even though irons take a divot, and metal woods usually don't, which requires somewhat of different downswing.

I am pro learning the game backwards from the putter to the driver. Learning a  good putting stroke make for a good chipping stroke, which makes for a good pitching stroke, which makes for a better long iron stroke, and so on back to the driver. With that in mind I have no problem with learning the swings from the tee box to the greens as they work just as well given the right instruction.  I just think, from experience, for the amateur, that learning the easier, shorter (club) shots first, makes it easier to learn the tougher, longer (club) shots , which the amateur golfer does not use as much.

I just don't think, for the newbie, or amateur golfer, that using a driver right off the bat should be a priority. The main idea of golf is to get around the course in the least amount of strokes. For the newbie, the driver probably adds strokes until they become comfortable. with their $200+, big dog driver. All a golf swing is intended to do is make the ball go where the golfer want it to go. The driver is the hardest club in one's bag to do just that. A putter is the easiest.

This sounds pretty reasonable. Are you an instructor?

I am a rebel when it come to golf swing instruction. I believe that to become comfortable with a driver, the fastest way, is to become proficient with longer pitch shots, then longer approach shots. It's my belief that once you can hit good shots from 150 yards, with whatever club is your 150 yard club, you can use most of that swing for your metal woods. This even though irons take a divot, and metal woods usually don't, which requires somewhat of different downswing. I am pro learning the game backwards from the putter to the driver. Learning a  good putting stroke make for a good chipping stroke, which makes for a good pitching stroke, which makes for a better long iron stroke, and so on back to the driver. With that in mind I have no problem with learning the swings from the tee box to the greens as they work just as well given the right instruction.  I just think, from experience, for the amateur, that learning the easier, shorter (club) shots first, makes it easier to learn the tougher, longer (club) shots , which the amateur golfer does not use as much. I just don't think, for the newbie, or amateur golfer, that using a driver right off the bat should be a priority. The main idea of golf is to get around the course in the least amount of strokes. For the newbie, the driver probably adds strokes until they become comfortable. with their $200+, big dog driver. All a golf swing is intended to do is make the ball go where the golfer want it to go. The driver is the hardest club in one's bag to do just that. A putter is the easiest.

Sorry-Could not let this one pass without a comment. Pitching has almost nothing to do with hitting the driver or hitting putts. The bold things are just bad advice.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• 1 month later...

How did it go? Another idea for fun is you could also just tee up on your approaches  as well. I.e. Driver from tee box hits to 150. Tee up and pat one down to the green.

I have this feeling that playing a round with only a 6i is not going to be as penal, and roughly the same if you take off 600-800 yards from the course length.

Whereas, playing a round with a driver only is going to cost at least 20 strokes especially when in a deep green side bunker or trees. That is, for a reasonably good player.

I predict taking a lot of unplayable strokes and over hitting all but one or two approaches, and that the results are not so good. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 9/21/2015, 6:24:00, gregsandiego said:

If you feel like trying it and go in with the right attitude of humor and experimentation, it probably will be more 'challenge' than 'trial'. If you are fixated on score only then...

I think Bubba does this to force himself to really be in the moment thinking about potential shots - challenging his course management imagination and face / path awareness feels. It also adds some pressure to hit better quality long game shots (so as to avoid the likely 2+ stroke penalty for a deeper bunker). Driver off the deck is something he does in competition so it makes sense for him to do an occasional round like this, or it was practice like this that made it easier for him to pull off the shots under competitive pressure.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!