IGNORED

Golf Ball Conundrum

Note: This thread is 2964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going to Edwin Watts his weekend o pick up some Volvik S3's. They carry Volviks, but don't know if they carry all models. I could get some Vista iS if not.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

To OP, I would really recommend you try the SuperSoft.  Not expensive, much better than most in that price range.  You will not lose any distance, you will likely pick up a few yards.  Will work well around the green and I like the way it feels off the driver and irons.  You will have to get used to the ball when putting,  that will come quickly with a little time spent on practice green....Good Luck...I have been playing this ball for about a year and a half.  I tried the e6, the Elite 50, Duo, and others but just could not get the total performance I get from the SuperSoft...

To the OP, your swing speed is too high for your ability right now.  Probably not something you want to hear, but if you are slicing like you say, until you get your swing fixed (which may take a little time), if you want to score, you have to keep the ball in play.  Tone down your swing to get it under control.

As for the ball, play a hard cover ball (Surlyn, not urethane) which will not spin as much and fly straighter.  It will cost you accuracy on approaches, but you'll more than make up for it by keeping the ball in play.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I'm going to Edwin Watts his weekend o pick up some Volvik S3's. They carry Volviks, but don't know if they carry all models. I could get some Vista iS if not.

I keep hearing the name Volvik and all i can think of is bottled water!

In all seriousnous, what are they like?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Volvik is the number one maker of colored balls.  The technology is a little different than other ball makers as far as the inner mantles and the outer cover.  The Volvik S3 White Color is white with a slight blue pearlessence mixed in. It is a very long ball that handles the wind well and spins well on approaches.  I like playing something different than the herd.

Is there a difference between the Callaway Supersoft and the Callaway Chrome Soft? If so what?

Well, Chrome Soft falls in the "premium" ball category at something like $40 per dozen, whereas the Supersoft is half that.

Youre obviously asking about the characteristic differences though, and I don't know about that at all.  I've never hit the Supersoft.

Balls are so personal (insert joke here) so I'd just recommend a sleeve of each and do a side by side comparison.

I did some research and found this at Golf Digest. And when they sat January they are talking 2014.

Chrome Soft is a three-piece construction that features an intermediate mantle layer surrounded by what Bartels calls the softest formulation of Callaway's urethane cover ever. The core is the key development. Its roots lie in Callaway's two-piece Supersoft ball, the company's top-selling model since it was introduced in January.

"Golf ball designers have realized that you can create low-compression balls to reduce spin with the longer clubs," Bartels says. "With SuperSoft, the soft core compresses yet still retains its energy and restores its energy as it regains its shape to generate fast ballspeed. It doesn't lose its energy."

"In general, as you make the materials softer inside a golf ball, they get slower," Bartels says. "We've been able to buck that trend with this." In fact, Bartels suggested that Chrome Soft without the urethane cover would be similar to Supersoft. The urethane cover is designed to increase spin and control for shorter shots into and around the green. He says the Chrome Soft's cover is "the most durable golf ball cover we've brought to market."

Chrome Soft features Callaway's hexagonal dimple structure to enhance surface coverage for consistent aerodynamic performance. Unlike the company's Speed Regime line of golf balls, whose three versions are geared to specific swing speed levels, Bartels says Chrome Soft's aerodynamic profile "is designed for golfers of all swing speeds and are optimized in particular for the lower spin conditions." 

Doug

I game the callaway supersoft. Its the best all around ball for the money imho. Does everything well and I love the feel and trajectory. Theyre so good, Im sure Callaway will have them discontinued asap. Lol

I went to Edwin Watts to pick up a dozen S3 and all they had were the Vista iV.  After reading all the stuff here about the Cally Chrome Soft I bought a sleeve of them to try out.

I'll play Friday after work to try them out.  Got a scramble on Saturday where I may play them on approach shots if they work well.  If I don't like them, I have several Strata Tour Ultimates in the bag.

• 5 months later...
On October 7, 2015 at 10:01 PM, vangator said:

I went to Edwin Watts to pick up a dozen S3 and all they had were the Vista iV.  After reading all the stuff here about the Cally Chrome Soft I bought a sleeve of them to try out.

I'll play Friday after work to try them out.  Got a scramble on Saturday where I may play them on approach shots if they work well.  If I don't like them, I have several Strata Tour Ultimates in the bag.

Hey, @vangator, what did you think of them? I ordered a few boxes to try out this season. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

1 hour ago, Ernest Jones said:

Hey, @vangator, what did you think of them? I ordered a few boxes to try out this season. 

Didn't like them.  They were about the same distance off the driver as any premium ball.  They did feel softer than my normal ball.  Where I didn't like them were the irons.  Spin was fine, but I got too much jump.  They were flying consistently one club farther than any other premium ball I've tried.  Most premium balls I could put in a hat and there wouldn't be much difference.  A little harder or softer, but distance is about the same.  With the Cally Chrome Softs, I kept flying greens or playing from the back of the green.  Also, chips shots seemed to jump off the face.  I'm normally a very good chipper.  Hit most of my chips stoney.  But the CS were all going past the hole several feet.  I tried them for a couple of rounds.  I decided I didn't want to recalibrate my game.  I've been playing too long to do that.

If you're looking for a little more distance with your irons, they might be the answer.  Once you get used to the difference, you may love them.

I do like the feel off the putter.  I have a Tru-Vis (looks like a soccer ball) that really looks cool when I putt with it.  When playing for the hell of it (which is most times), I swap the Tru-Vis on the greens.

Have you thought about the Nike HyperFlight?  Played them and found them to be better than just OK...liked them better than the Top Flite Gamer Soft.

Anybody else used this ball that can give info on it...would like to hear before I purchase any more...Get them for $40 for 2 dozen at Dick's...

Edited by Osnola

On March 21, 2016 at 8:31 PM, Osnola said:

Have you thought about the Nike HyperFlight?  Played them and found them to be better than just OK...liked them better than the Top Flite Gamer Soft.

Anybody else used this ball that can give info on it...would like to hear before I purchase any more...Get them for $40 for 2 dozen at Dick's...

I have played the Nike Hyperflight quite a bit last couple rounds. Its my favorite three piece ball. Has ionomer cover but spins pretty well on approach shots and even greenside chips and pitches. Medium high trajectory for me and medium soft feel. Really like it! After going back and forth a lot lately trying to pick a ball, its the wilson staff fifty elite for me. (Nike hyperflight will be my backup ball if I cant get hold of the 50 elite for some reason. The 50 elite is just the best OVERALL performer of all I tested. Long, high, soft, and good spin on any shot from inside of 160. And at 12.99 a dozen, its like stealing!!! But the Nike Hyperflight is a very close second imho! Just liked it a little less off the putter and prefer the SLIGHTLY softer feel of the 50 elite. Your preference may differ but these have been my results. Im a 21 handicap and since switching to these two balls Im shooting lower scores. Good luck!

Note: This thread is 2964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!