Jump to content
iacas

I Saw a Woman Playing Alone

121 posts / 18597 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

No one has ever asked me to join them and I am not interested in asking others to join me either...

The only worry I have about playing alone is not having a witness to my hole in one incase it happens (I have 2 and luckily both times have witnesses)!

I'm surprised no one has asked you to join up...especially at a private club.

I have always enjoyed playing golf with women. One of my most favorite person to play golf with was a Korean lady....she always wanted to play golf and was/is a really good golfer too...unfortunately she moved back to S. Korea.

We play sometimes with other Korean ladies that we met via a golf league.....also really enjoyable to golf with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

@rehmwa That’s the point - to make sure no one can join a single or twosome, or anyone else. I am surprised that my club allows it and they were the ones who taught me how to block off the slot if I want to play alone.

Of the ~200 rounds that I have played at this club, about 1/3 were played as a single and I usually leave the slots open too. Not once had anyone added themselves to my time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

they were the ones who taught me how to block off the slot if I want to play alone.

that's weird for sure.....what could they be thinking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Mr22putt People at my club are not exactly friendly. They either have their own group already or they want to keep to themselves. I am pretty sure the issue is not me!

1 minute ago, rehmwa said:

that's weird for sure.....what could they be thinking

They also have no problem with people not showing up for their tee times on weekend mornings AND not cancelling. That pisses me off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

@Southern by Choice Fivesomes and singles are normal during weekend mornings at my club! Most fivesomes are jerks and would not let anyone play through! I’d have to skip the hole instead. I was behind a fivesome yesterday and finally gave up after hole 13. I skipped 14-16 and got back on 17 and 18.   

We use an online system to request tee times up to 7 days in advance and the proshop will assign times 3 days before. Once the tee sheet is opened, anyone can go in and take whatever they want. 

I can put up to 5 players for each time slot. If I want to play alone, I just put my name down and block the other 4 by putting “guest”. That way, no one else can add their names to my time. I usually leave mine open but no one has ever joined me. The proshop also rarely puts players together so everyone has to find their own playing partners!

I didn't see this earlier post.

OK...are we being trolled here?

What kind of course whether it be a private or public course would allow 5somes and singles to go out on their own...especially on a weekend morning.

It is a rural course that no one plays?....your post doesn't make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FlyingAce said:

@Mr22putt People at my club are not exactly friendly. They either have their own group already or they want to keep to themselves. I am pretty sure the issue is not me!

They also have no problem with people not showing up for their tee times on weekend mornings AND not cancelling. That pisses me off!

I'm assuming you are a friendly person...I can't understand why no one would not want to play golf with a friendly woman who plays to a 7.7 handicap.

As I previously posted, the Korean woman who we used to golf a lot with, she was so popular in the golf league....all the guys in the league always wanted to be paired up with her...she has a great personality, a good golfer (10-11 handicap) and is very attractive....there is no way if she was at a course as a single that she'd be playing on her own...she would be asked to join up with many, many golfers.

Her English wasn't great...but very passable...but that never stop anyone to ask her to play golf with them.

Where do you play golf where everyone seems so unfriendly?

 

I've never heard of a course that would knowingly not have an issue with people not showing up for their tee times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a middle aged asian woman playing alone this season.  it's definitely rare, but that being said, I rarely see women playing as groups as well. they probably account for maybe 1% of all the golfers I see playing which is a shame as I'm incredibly attracted to women who golf lol, especially if theyre decent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2019 at 5:46 PM, downbylaw11 said:

I saw a middle aged asian woman playing alone this season.  it's definitely rare, but that being said, I rarely see women playing as groups as well. they probably account for maybe 1% of all the golfers I see playing which is a shame as I'm incredibly attracted to women who golf lol, especially if theyre decent. 

What courses in Vancouver do you play which might only have 1% of all golfers being female?

If we take 100 golfers..it would take twenty five 4somes on a busy tee sheet about 4 hours to cycle through...so you're saying you'd only see 1 female golfer in 4 hours at the courses you play golf?

Of the courses I play here in Vancouver....if I worked in the pro shop.....I would likely to see at least 10-15+ females tee off in those 4 hours....even in the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a woman that plays alone every morning at our course. She's usually the first one out on the course and plays in 3 hours or less.

My wife is still working, so she isn't able to get out with the rest of the ladies groups, so she'll play alone in the afternoon after work, when she can't coerce me in to going with her.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/25/2019 at 11:30 AM, Mr22putt said:

What courses in Vancouver do you play which might only have 1% of all golfers being female?

If we take 100 golfers..it would take twenty five 4somes on a busy tee sheet about 4 hours to cycle through...so you're saying you'd only see 1 female golfer in 4 hours at the courses you play golf?

Of the courses I play here in Vancouver....if I worked in the pro shop.....I would likely to see at least 10-15+ females tee off in those 4 hours....even in the winter.

well, it could also be the time of day I play. I usually play bright and early, and many women may play in ladies leagues.  I guess if you were to go to riverway, you would often see a bunch of 70 year old asian ladies at all hours of the day, but I usually play at guildford and green acres, and at guildford, during my time there, I saw maybe 2 women the entire season which was probably 20+ rounds I played there, so yeah, it's a low percentage, and at green acres I probably saw 5 women all season in maybe 10 rounds?  Not sure why you actually spent time trying to do math of the women on the course that I may or may not have seen.  It's not like I have hard evidence of 1%, but they account for a micro fraction of the total golfers on course at any given time.  I believe it's 19% according to something I read.  Many of those probably playing with other women, and probably not playing at 6am as usually the men are the only ones addicted to golf enough to get up at 5am to go play golf.  I could be wrong on that though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2019 at 5:25 PM, downbylaw11 said:

well, it could also be the time of day I play. I usually play bright and early, and many women may play in ladies leagues.  I guess if you were to go to riverway, you would often see a bunch of 70 year old asian ladies at all hours of the day, but I usually play at guildford and green acres, and at guildford, during my time there, I saw maybe 2 women the entire season which was probably 20+ rounds I played there, so yeah, it's a low percentage, and at green acres I probably saw 5 women all season in maybe 10 rounds?  Not sure why you actually spent time trying to do math of the women on the course that I may or may not have seen.  It's not like I have hard evidence of 1%, but they account for a micro fraction of the total golfers on course at any given time.  I believe it's 19% according to something I read.  Many of those probably playing with other women, and probably not playing at 6am as usually the men are the only ones addicted to golf enough to get up at 5am to go play golf.  I could be wrong on that though? 

LOL.....Green Acres and Guildford are 2 of the courses in Vancouver I most loath.

I played Green Acres 26 years ago and vowed I'd never return....I only played it because a guy from work was flying back to Toronto on a Sunday and wanted a quick rd so he suggested Green Acres because it was close to the airport.

I'll only golf at Guildford if it's really cheap to play

No wonder you don't see Asian women playing golf...they know better to stay away from the above 2 course...lol.

Yes, I imagine you won't see too many women dew sweeping. I play a lot of twilight rds...tons of Asian playing then.

Go out to play Mayfair, Burnaby Mountain, Fraserview, Langara, McCleery, Carnousite, Golden Eagle, Swaneset and Belmont....tons of Asian women playing there.

FWIW...I was at the range at Burnaby Mountain last week...saw 3 Asian women in the parking lot leaving to go home...a good hand full of women playing on the course and 8 Asian women at the range out of maybe 40 total golfers practicing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

LOL.....Green Acres and Guildford are 2 of the courses in Vancouver I most loath.

I played Green Acres 26 years ago and vowed I'd never return....I only played it because a guy from work was flying back to Toronto on a Sunday and wanted a quick rd so he suggested Green Acres because it was close to the airport.

I'll only golf at Guildford if it's really cheap to play

No wonder you don't see Asian women playing golf...they know better to stay away from the above 2 course...lol.

Yes, I imagine you won't see too many women dew sweeping. I play a lot of twilight rds...tons of Asian playing then.

Go out to play Mayfair, Burnaby Mountain, Fraserview, Langara, McCleery, Carnousite, Golden Eagle, Swaneset and Belmont....tons of Asian women playing there.

FWIW...I was at the range at Burnaby Mountain last week...saw 3 Asian women in the parking lot leaving to go home...a good hand full of women playing on the course and 8 Asian women at the range out of maybe 40 total golfers practicing.

I played fraserview last weekend. what a f***in ripoff for a uphill soggy mess.  The reasons why I golf at guildford and green acres are as follows.  Guildford is 10 minutes away from my place and it's easy to get a tee time as a single in the am.  and i mean, actual single as in I prefer to play alone most days, and it's only 45 bucks in summer.  It's also set up in such a way that I use every club in my bag for all situations.  The conditions there are garbage, but for the convenience, price, and relative challenge, it's a good play. 

Green acres I play because it is closeish to my sunday golfing buddy's place, and he was afraid to play anywhere else because we usually play there just the 2 of us and don't get paired up. He is usually afraid to play with other people as we played burnaby mountain once last year and he freaked out and played terribly.  That being said, Green Acres is in pretty amazing condition the last few years.  They pumped a bunch of money into the drainage 2 years ago and it shows.  I play there in all conditions and it isnt soggy at all, and when it's dry the fairways are firm with lots of run.  The greens have improved 100% over the last year as well.  I believe the course is owned in part by shaunnessy, so they clearly care about it now.   

But yeah, obviously either of those courses are not of the quality of most of the ones you mentioned and I'd love to regularly play them but my friends are all 30+ handicaps who are afraid to play nice courses. I played mayfair and belmont as a teenager but havent made it out there since. I have bad memories of belmont from a highschool tournament lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down:

Ya..it's not easy to find cheap golf on weekend mornings.

I think Belmont has some weekend dew sweeping specials in the summer...look on-line.

A member at Shaughnessy told me they have no intentions anymore to develop Green Acres when their current location lease expires in 2032.

Supposedly, they bought GA and the adjacent land years ago for $4M...now it's worth $15-$20M???????

 

Just tell your friends not to be a bunch of babies and act afraid....the only thing others golfers care about is their pace of play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • Speaking of 4:30 POP, if someone plays in five hours, that is fast, and if someone plays in three hours, that is slow. When you have had to deal with 6 hour rounds, 4:30 seems like a reasonable compromise. When I'm marshaling, it is not "recommended", it is the maximum allowed (in my  mind). 😁 In our case, there is some rhyme and reason to 4:30, but you'll have to follow me . . . .  Each of our first four sets of four holes has a par 3, a Par 5, and two Par 4s.  Bobby Clampett consulted on the course design, and the Par 3 are paced at 12 minutes, the Par 4s at 15 minutes, and the Par 5s at 18 minutes.  Figure that out and you will see the each set of four holes in 1 hour.  17 & 18 are Par 4s, so that's another 1/2 hour, and, Wallah!, 4:30. (PS:  I'm then only one left of the early employees who knows that.) It's really easy to marshal when you get that four-holes-an-hour ingrained in your brain, but it's amazing how many brains are not ingrainable. BTW, unless I'm really have a good round, if I'm stuck in a 4:30 round, I normally go in.  One day this year on the tenth tee I looked at the other guys and said, "Looks like rain.  Bye."  I'm sure it rained somewhere that day. How many of you have marshaled a tough course on a busy day?
    • If you have administrator access, you can see the entire history, but the rest of the world can't.  I have access as my club's handicap committee chair, and the pro shop does as well, but that's all as far as I know.  Rank and file golfers can't go any further back than the 12 month history available in the phone app.  Apparently I can look up the complete history for anyone, as long as I know their name.  
    • Last week had two birdies.  Not sure which was the better shot, but here goes. 1) PW from about 110 or so and put it pin high within about 3 to 4 feet and make the putt. 2) nGIR, probably around 5-10 yards from the green.  Chip in for birdie
    • Wow!  Thanks! I've been on Internet forum for 20 years, and I can count on one hand how many times I've seen someone actually compliment someone for their comments. So, kudos to you. 😁
    • Hmm, I could of swore several years back I was in the Golf shop and our pro pulled my history. Maybe the MAGA Assoc. is different? I can check the next time at the club. I could be mistaken, wouldn't be the first time... 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. internal911price
      internal911price
      (37 years old)
    2. kamaaina1
      kamaaina1
      (58 years old)
    3. kenrooker
      kenrooker
      (76 years old)
    4. MSchad
      MSchad
      (57 years old)
    5. pchaney301
      pchaney301
      (32 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...