IGNORED

What are your own personal tips and tricks for better play and a more enjoyable game all around?

hackingthelinks
Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Walk for sure, golf is just a better game when walking.

For walkers- rest the legs often, even just for a minute, take a seat on a bench, or plop down on the grass under a tree, a great golf swing is all about the legs, weak legs= weak swing, so rest them, trust me, this works when the game starts to unravel.

I play a lot by myself since I have a weird schedule.   And no friends.

1 -  play different sets of tees.   I have 5 valid sets of tees, 2 sets of mens tees + back tees + hybrids of all of those.   For fun, I can also play the senior tees which is very short, but it's a penal course, so it makes you think.   You can't just start driving all the greens

2 -  play some type of strategy and stick with it.   hit driver everywhere!   Or don't use driver.   Only use irons, unless absolutely would leave you too short to effectively play.

3 -  don't post the score if you do this, but at certain times hit three different versions of the same shot.   I do this with wedges a lot.   Hit your normal shot, then drop two balls and hit an easy club that was one longer (or choke down) then hit one less club and get a feel for when you might have to hit it hard.

4 -  again, don't post your score on this one....but pick your favorite tee on each hole and make up your own course based on that.   if moving up gives you a drive-able par 4, then move up.   If going to the back tees gives you an interesting shot or different angle, use that.

5 -  if you can play the ball both ways (fade/draw), then force yourself to hit that on every shot for the day.   (I can't do this one  :(  )

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play a lot by myself since I have a weird schedule.   And no friends.

1 -  play different sets of tees.   I have 5 valid sets of tees, 2 sets of mens tees + back tees + hybrids of all of those.   For fun, I can also play the senior tees which is very short, but it's a penal course, so it makes you think.   You can't just start driving all the greens

2 -  play some type of strategy and stick with it.   hit driver everywhere!   Or don't use driver.   Only use irons, unless absolutely would leave you too short to effectively play.

3 -  don't post the score if you do this, but at certain times hit three different versions of the same shot.   I do this with wedges a lot.   Hit your normal shot, then drop two balls and hit an easy club that was one longer (or choke down) then hit one less club and get a feel for when you might have to hit it hard.

4 -  again, don't post your score on this one....but pick your favorite tee on each hole and make up your own course based on that.   if moving up gives you a drive-able par 4, then move up.   If going to the back tees gives you an interesting shot or different angle, use that.

5 -  if you can play the ball both ways (fade/draw), then force yourself to hit that on every shot for the day.   (I can't do this one  :(  )

this is the way you enjoy golf? no wonder you dont have and friends.  lol just kidding. i will definitely give some of this a go when the weather gets bad and i have the courses to myself.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I find that playing skins or match rather than stroke with a minimum of par or bogey (depending on skill) keeps it interesting and close especially if you are ok with picking up and moving on if you don't qualify. Saves you from writing down any big numbers...

In my Stand Bag:
Driver: 910 D2 9.5*- Stiff Ahina
3W: Snake Eyes

7W: Snake Eyes (IDK why i love this club)
Irons: 690.MB 3i-PW Stiff
Wedges: CG12 54*, Form Forged 900 60*

Putter: Versa White #1

Ball: Pro V1x *used and cheap/free*

To some extent, I try to separate the few seconds I spend actually hitting the ball from the several hours I'm spending in a nice green place with pretty scenery in the company of my friends.  Its great when they both go well, but the hours with my friends are always worth enjoying.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Golf is purely social for me. There are no bets, everyone plays their own game, and at the end of the round there is none of the "I got you by two strokes" ... its a joy to be out and golfing with good friends. With that mentality the score is secondary. While I try hard to do the best I can, I accept it when I make a bad shot.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

A couple random things...

- Have rain gloves and a jacket in your bag.  Other people start complaining once its raining, their grips are wet, and they are getting cold.  If you only have a day or two a week off of work, why let a little rain ruin your round?

- Mark up your ball. Everybody knows my ball has two large circles around the logos with a big letter "H" above each logo.  I know I won't embarrassingly hit the wrong ball, nor will somebody else in my group.  Also, golfers in other groups know its not their ball so they won't hit it or pick it up before I get to it.  This has eased a lot of anxiety in my game.  Give it a try.

- Manage your expectations.  Be realistic with your game and find ways to get the most enjoyment out of it.  Maybe its being around friends or having a few beers, maybe its scoring and honing your swing.  Maybe its all of the above.  Just make it fun! For you and others...

- Bring the music.  It is really fun playing fun rounds with music going...just so it isn't loud enough to bother other groups.

I'm sure I could think of more...

A couple random things...

- Have rain gloves and a jacket in your bag.  Other people start complaining once its raining, their grips are wet, and they are getting cold.  If you only have a day or two a week off of work, why let a little rain ruin your round?

- Mark up your ball. Everybody knows my ball has two large circles around the logos with a big letter "H" above each logo.  I know I won't embarrassingly hit the wrong ball, nor will somebody else in my group.  Also, golfers in other groups know its not their ball so they won't hit it or pick it up before I get to it.  This has eased a lot of anxiety in my game.  Give it a try.

- Manage your expectations.  Be realistic with your game and find ways to get the most enjoyment out of it.  Maybe its being around friends or having a few beers, maybe its scoring and honing your swing.  Maybe its all of the above.  Just make it fun! For you and others...

- Bring the music.  It is really fun playing fun rounds with music going...just so it isn't loud enough to bother other groups.

I'm sure I could think of more...

At a 7.1 handicap, what music are you listening to?

Dylan!  If I'm by myself...or maybe Frank Zappa.  Something that everybody likes if there's a group...like classic rock with some other stuff mixed in.  Its perfect for scrambles or fun rounds.  Maybe not for country clubs or nice courses.

Dylan!  If I'm by myself...or maybe Frank Zappa.  Something that everybody likes if there's a group...like classic rock with some other stuff mixed in.  Its perfect for scrambles or fun rounds.  Maybe not for country clubs or nice courses.

So when you go to the outhouse are you listening to.  "why does it hurt when I pee" ?

Bring Friends, take a cart and load it up with drinks and food, drink moderate to heavily, blast the music when no one is around, get lifted, play $1 closest to the hole whenever you and some one else have similar shots, $1 FIR $1 GIR's and $1 skins with carryover, give and take gimmies, shape your shots, remember the good shots and forget about the bad ones, play after noon, play courses that are in good condition and aren't crowed, if it rains pull over and have a rain party till it stops or till the ranger tells you they're closing the course.

• Upvote 1

Enjoy playing scrappy golf. There was a piece of advice in one of Rotella's books about having fun getting  out of trouble. Can't  remember which pro it was who turned to his playing partner after hitting  it into the woods and said you gotta love this game.

Sometimes  I still get frustrated  after a shot doesn't  go where I planned usually  off the tee when I'm playing for position because I lose the distance  as well. Having said that I've hit some fantastic recovery shots from those positions. Also missed greens with my irons have given me the opportunity  to hit wedge rescues and be  very creative.

Learnt a lot this year about my game and my own attitude. The fun of golf is not fairways,greens,and putts. It's more expansive than that.

As Tin Cup says perfection is unattainable.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!