IGNORED

My Swing (Mike Boatright)

Mike Boatright
Note: This thread is 2939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Do not create more Member Swing threads. You are to post all of your swings in the one thread you have here - this one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The 2nd swing in the last video, you could use more extension at the ball and in your follow through.  Your right arm is bent, especially in the follow through.  If you have better extension, it'll give you better contact, more speed, and thus more distance.

The combination of lateral movement in your swing and the bent right arm after contact brings me to think it'll be hard for you to get consistent contact, and your typical miss will be a push/slice.  If you don't want to change that lateral movement, it will just mean you'll have to work on your tempo a lot.  But making better extension at and after the ball is something that can be easy to fix for you, I think.

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

The 2nd swing in the last video, you could use more extension at the ball and in your follow through.  Your right arm is bent, especially in the follow through.  If you have better extension, it'll give you better contact, more speed, and thus more distance.

The combination of lateral movement in your swing and the bent right arm after contact brings me to think it'll be hard for you to get consistent contact, and your typical miss will be a push/slice.  If you don't want to change that lateral movement, it will just mean you'll have to work on your tempo a lot.  But making better extension at and after the ball is something that can be easy to fix for you, I think.

Yes thank's last session I was setting up more square giving my right arm more room through impact and better hit's I'm hitting it straight right now maybe it just looks bent. I agree though it's an issue. Look at els here kinda bent but good extension. By the way what other tips do you have for better extension? My typical misses right now are bad distance dead straight or light hook toe.

(edited)

Screen_Shot_2015-10-14_at_6.39.01_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2015-10-14_at_6.42.15_PM.thu

Look at the extension in this picture of Els and how his belt buckle is almost pointing right at his target.  In this picture, you are past his point in the swing, but it shows how you really need to turn around your spine more, and it'll be sooooo much easier to get extension.

A drill to help:  This is best with a medicine ball or similar, but its not necessary.  Take your set up and take a swing, only as you start to follow through, throw the ball towards your target.  You should feel your arms having to stretch more at the ball and as you start to follow through.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• 4 months later...
(edited)

Here is my new swing any feedback would awesome :) This new swing incorporates and entirely open setup level to lightly forward shoulders allowing my right arm to attack the ball freely the results are good however I could use some pointers in regards to leaving the face open on my irons still... It seems a bit awkward but it's actually working on all shots even the driver. 

This is a 3 irons swing going about 210 yards light draw when pured.

https://www.youtube.com/upload

Edited by Mike Boatright

Have you tried making a more centred turn? Most of your misses probably stem from that sway.  

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all Iv'e gone to a square to slightly open set up but both seem to have the same issue even though my shots look pretty and go far and I get good speed. The problem is the over swing my upper body is tilting towards the target like / instead of a more \ motion. This is costing me an easy 5 mph in swing speed and is the cause of my bad shots when I miss time. How can I fix this without setting up right side dominant and placing say 60% of the weight on my back foot which the pro's do but I can't physically manage it? This swing was a square set up,but sometimes I open way up both basically look similar except the open version has more shaft lead.

Here is DTL

You are swaying far back on your right side on the backswing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

16 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You are swaying far back on your right side on the backswing.

Yes my weight does go the outside of my back foot however I still manage to hit it well:-\ Whenever I try to stay more centered and stable I only hit it straighter and manage to lose speed because it shortens my backswing? It's a better more consistent move I agree. Do you think I might need wider golf shoes maybe that's it?

10 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Yes my weight does go the outside of my back foot however I still manage to hit it well:-\ Whenever I try to stay more centered and stable I only hit it straighter and manage to lose speed because it shortens my backswing? It's a better more consistent move I agree. Do you think I might need wider golf shoes maybe that's it?

What do you mean by wider shoes?

BTW, a controlled swing is possibly going to be shorter, but that's how you can get more consistency. I'll let the more knowledgeable folks to address that.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

What do you mean by wider shoes?

Simply that wider golf shoes. Maybe traditional golf shoes are causing me to lose balance and drift my weight to my back foot? In the video I was wearing skinny running shoes. I assume it's probably more technical than that right? Have you ever tried to hit the ball in sandals it just wont work.

Edited by Mike Boatright

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Simply that wider golf shoes. Maybe traditional golf shoes are causing me to lose balance and drift my weight to my back foot? In the video I was wearing skinny running shoes. I assume it's probably more technical than that right? Have you ever tried to hit the ball in sandals it just wont work.

You don't need wider golf shoes. You need to find a way to stop swaying.

Typically, wider stances encourage a bigger sway, btw.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Typically, wider stances encourage a bigger sway, btw.

Oh that's interesting I played a bunch of holes today and uses a little narrow stance on a few holes that I do to hit low draws. I hit one that didn't go low instead it was a normal shot that almost had as much distance as my full swing.

8 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

All the time at home, and it doesn't affect my swing at all. Barefoot, sandals, running shoes, golf shoes are kind of the same for me. My son often plays in Vans, but his high school coach made him wear soft spikes for "appearances".

Somehow your body looks off balance, maybe that's the culprit to your sway? Actually, I'm not sure how you manage to hit the ball as consistently as you indicate with that much body movement? Must be good hand eye coordination?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On March 25, 2016 at 6:10 AM, Mike Boatright said:

Hi all Iv'e gone to a square to slightly open set up but both seem to have the same issue even though my shots look pretty and go far and I get good speed. The problem is the over swing my upper body is tilting towards the target like / instead of a more \ motion. This is costing me an easy 5 mph in swing speed and is the cause of my bad shots when I miss time. How can I fix this without setting up right side dominant and placing say 60% of the weight on my back foot which the pro's do but I can't physically manage it? This swing was a square set up,but sometimes I open way up both basically look similar except the open version has more shaft lead.

Here is DTL

Try hitting a few golf balls with a ball wedged under the out-step of your trail foot. Or try the Gary Player trigger where you kick in your trail knee towards the target to start the backswing. Both of those should help you feel a sway in a much more pronounced fashion, making it easier to counteract. 

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

(edited)
16 hours ago, Lihu said:

Somehow your body looks off balance, maybe that's the culprit to your sway? Actually, I'm not sure how you manage to hit the ball as consistently as you indicate with that much body movement? Must be good hand eye coordination?

That's kinda it yes I have extreme eye hand coordination I can pick up a 5 iron and toss it up like a baseball and hit it 160 yards with a draw. When I was younger I loaded up on the inside of my back foot and hit it a mile about 280 carry with a titleist professional. I inured my back kinda in my distance prime playing football and before this I drove 315 yard par 4's with a ping ti tec sometimes.. I now have an adaptive move to keep my speed up and im just older this was 14 year ago. I'm going to make a new video tonight with a narrower stance as Iacas has indicated could prevent a sway. I'll throw in some 9 iron swings to see If I sway in less than full swings thanks for the feedback dude although I wasn't that off balance fort swinging maxed out.

Edited by Mike Boatright

(edited)

Ok Iv'e attempted to make a better no sway swing with a narrow stance overall it feels very good,but a little restricted..

Driver went 108 mph both times.

The iron was just a 7 iron.

Edited by Mike Boatright

Note: This thread is 2939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!