IGNORED

Fatting the ball with irons?

Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I've been going to range a lot more often lately and focusing on my irons a lot. Every time I hit with my irons, I make a decently sized divot (3-5 inches). I feel like I'm doing something wrong. My ball flight does not seem that bad, but I just feel like I shouldn't be hitting the ground so much. I understand that you are supposed to first hit the ball then the ground, but I think I hit too much grass up every time. When I see some pro's play, they are able to hit their iron's off the fairway without even making a divot and still making their ball fly high in the air. I've been trying to figure it out but I just can't seem to solve it. Hopefully someone can explain this to me!

Thank you for your time and help!

I'm just here to commiserate.  I think being consistent bottom of ones swing beyond the ball is one of the most common challenges of high handicappers like me.  I probably spend 80% of my practice time working on it.

And, the first 3 keys of the 5SK system are a great place to start.  

The best way to get specific help is to post videos of your swing in the "Member Swings" section of this forum.  And there are some really good instructors that might drop in and help you.

Make sure to participate in other areas of the forum also.

Welcome to the site.

Edited by No Mulligans

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Yes, feel free to start a swing thread. 

http://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

and check out this video.

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Think for me the fat culprit is most often caused by poor leg, feet and hip action.  If I start bending my knees on the back swing, bad stuff happens.  If my lower body doesn't do it's part in the swing, then my arms will attempt to make corrections which never work.  So, make sure your lower body is not the culprit.

Just for fun sometime, watch a pro golf tournament and pay special attention to the divots on a par three.  These divots look nothing like the divots at my home course.

I just don't see how they can hit it off the deck with an iron without making a divot. If they are hitting down on the ball, how do you manage to pick the club back up before it touches the floor. They just seem like they hit it so much cleaner.

Try picking the ball with no divot and gradually move it back. It might be a band-aid,but who wants to hit it fat right?

Do not do this. Band-aid fixes are never the answer, but the drill provided by mvmac is a good one.

If you get in the habit of doing this and never taking a divot, you are liable to thin a lot of shots (painful on the long irons) and you might start trying to hit up on the ball rather than down and through the ball as you should.

(edited)

I just don't see how they can hit it off the deck with an iron without making a divot. If they are hitting down on the ball, how do you manage to pick the club back up before it touches the floor. They just seem like they hit it so much cleaner.

You can still have some down and not take a divot. Lead arm and shaft are still inline at impact but there isn't a lot of shaft/handle lean at impact and the alignment quickly "comes out" after impact.

jack.jpg

Edited by mvmac
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

You can still have some down and not take a divot. Lead arm and shaft are still inline at impact but there isn't a lot of shaft/handle lean at impact and the alignment quickly "comes out" after impact.

jack.jpg

I guess I'm just going to have to practice this more at the range... or maybe ill get over making divots all over my range.

First off, let me state that I'm NOT a huge divot guy.  I can still hit the ball first with an iron, bottom out my swing ahead of the ball, but still don't dig alligators from the fairways.

Swings we see from PGA tour golfers bottom out 2-4" in FRONT of the ball.  My guess is that your divots are more likely starting BEHIND the ball. In this case, taking divots is a clear indication of a 'fat' shot.  The shots don't fly far and likely turn left on you.  We've all been there, done that and still do with more regularity than any of us would like to admit.

What stops the 'fat' shot is moving those hips forward and up, getting weight forward and moving everything slightly forward and toward the target.  What you THINK might work is simply moving the ball back in your stance.  This will only produce lower ball flight, hooks and less-than-expected distance on your irons.

Good luck.  You'll get it straightened out!

Dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

First off, let me state that I'm NOT a huge divot guy.  I can still hit the ball first with an iron, bottom out my swing ahead of the ball, but still don't dig alligators from the fairways.

Swings we see from PGA tour golfers bottom out 2-4" in FRONT of the ball.  My guess is that your divots are more likely starting BEHIND the ball. In this case, taking divots is a clear indication of a 'fat' shot.  The shots don't fly far and likely turn left on you.  We've all been there, done that and still do with more regularity than any of us would like to admit.

What stops the 'fat' shot is moving those hips forward and up, getting weight forward and moving everything slightly forward and toward the target.  What you THINK might work is simply moving the ball back in your stance.  This will only produce lower ball flight, hooks and less-than-expected distance on your irons.

Good luck.  You'll get it straightened out!

Dave

Yesterday at the range I took close attention to where my divots were in relation to the ball and they were definitely in front of the ball. Also, I'm hitting my 7 irons at least 180 yards on a solid strike, but in taking pretty large divots everytime I do so.

Yesterday at the range I took close attention to where my divots were in relation to the ball and they were definitely in front of the ball. Also, I'm hitting my 7 irons at least 180 yards on a solid strike, but in taking pretty large divots everytime I do so.

Is the divot starting in front of the ball? To check you can just place an alignment stick a little bit behind the ball or do this.

Mike McLoughlin

Then there's this....

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!