IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Went to the local par 3 yesterday evening with my 2 sons. Place is in miserable shape, yet I did manage to make 3 birds, one was an 18' putt that was like putting on a gravel road. Luck or skill, I'll take it. We quit after 14 holes, with the wind coming off the lake and no sun, we got cold.

Most importantly, my elder son (25) is special needs, He hit 4 greens and made a couple pars using my T300 9 iron, gap and sand wedges. The gap and sand wedges reside in his bag because I pay RTX's. We were all pumped when he started getting some great flight out of his swings.

Younger kid (21) was knocking it close, but couldn't make a putt. But the greens were really, really bad........

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

had a round in a 9-hole matchplay competition yesterday.. We had very extreme wind that didn't really favor any of us, but it was a very exciting and close match.
I went 1-up on hole 1 (a par 3) after a great tee-shot that landed on the green, while my opponent unfortunately hit the water and was unable to recover from that. Hole 2 (par 4) i ended up with my 2nd on the green, but I had to make a very difficult put where the green slopes sideways towards a creek and i needed to follow a parallel line and then have the ball go down a ridge towards the hole. I was about 7 meters from the hole and my put got a bit too much speed when going over that ridge, went past the hole and ran off the green again. I was glad that it did not run into the creek (which happened to me just yesterday from a similar situation and is a very common outcome for many people), but the rough stopped it fortunately.  I had to chip it back on and got a bit short with that. My opponent made the best out of that situation and made the put after having laid-up the 2nd shot short off the creek to chip it onto the green and then making an up-and-down, so we were all square. 

Hole 3 we tied and on hole 4 I messed up my tee-off with my hybrid by hitting it way too much to the right. My opponent seized that opportunity and won that hole. Hole 5 we both tied again and on hole 6 I managed to win after an amazing tee-off with my 5-wood ending up right next to a bunker and just not in the water. Following this I made a close approach to about 2 meter from about 90 meters out. Missed the birdie-put but par was enough to win the hole to make it AS again.

Hole 7 I hit the bunker and had difficulties getting out, so I wasted one shot, which my opponent again made the best out of, so I was one down again. 

The pressure was on, as I knew I had to win the last 2 holes If i wanted to still win the round and my tee-off wasn't the greatest, but fortunately my opponent also messed up the tee-shot a bit. Second shots from both of us were ok, and with a very good pitch as my third shot onto the correct (highest) level of the green where the flag stood I managed to get back into play. My opponents put was a tiny fraction too long and rolled off the back again (those pin positions were very difficult and for any tiny mistake you get punished immediately). With this in mind, I decided to put a bit softer and rather miss on the short side as a lay up for a 2-put than missing long and also going off the green, which ended up being the right strategy and would win me the hole making it AS.

Hole 9 plays over water, and while I messed up that hole yesterday because of the heavy wind, which was pushing the ball sideways (coming from the left) towards the water, I decided to tee off on the very right side of the box and giving me a much steeper angle against the wind into the green (the water is mostly on the right).  I hit a sold shot and my ball landed about 4 meter next to the flag on the green despite the wind pushing the ball right. On a normal day this would have been a bit left of the flag.

Here is where the nerves came in and my opponent had a mishit into the water. Together with the penalty a chip and then one put to get the ball next to the pin didn't help my opponent anymore, as I put my first put within about 20 cm from the pin, securing par and winning the round with 1 up.

It was definitely an exciting match, and I am happy to having won this round after having lost the previous round due to having hit the water twice.

• Like 1

cheers Chris

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

just got back from a regular 9-hole round, and with exception of one friend, we all did well today (out of 6 players)..

I shot a 41 (it's a par 34 course) and made 4 pars, three bogies and two doubles. I am a bit bummed about the two double-bogies as both weren't really necessary and I had some lip-outs and one ball stopped a cm in front of the hole.. it did improve my handicap by 0.3 points, so I am not complaining (despite another good round having been kicked out). 

cheers Chris

Quick Sunday afternoon 9 holes with grandson at Minnesott.  A former co-worker, playing solo caught up with us on #4.  We played out as a trio the balance of the holes.  Great temps with gusty NW winds between 15 and 20mph.  Putting was inconsistent, total of 22 putts.  Managed 3 GIR and 3nGIR.  Two of the GIR became bogies due to putting.  Wound up with a 47.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Played one a half rounds yesterday.  Was supposed to go in the afternoon and then dad woke up in the morning and decided he wanted to play.  So we went to the course a bit late and eventually played 8 holes.

bogey x 4, par, bogey x 2, par

Then decided to drop dad back home, have lunch and go for the planned afternoon round which morphed into another since the guy I was supposed to play with dropped out and another friend came into town late morning and wanted to put in a practice round for his match play game Tuesday.  Decent round though couple of miserable holes pushed my score up.  Started on the back 9 and had miserable holes there.

bogey, par, bogey x 2, par x 5, double, par, bogey x 2, double, bogey, double, bogey x 2

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

the weather was so great over here (sunny and warm), and a friend and I met coincidentally at the driving range.. there were free spots available, so we walked a 9-hole round. 

started with a birdie off the back tees, but then it went downhill from there (well, made 2 more pars and some great approaches, but too many penalties thanks to water hazards).. ended up with a 48

Edited by cdh79

cheers Chris

My son wanted to play today - he had been on a tough work schedule for the past 10 days.  We played at Minnesott today as the course we have an associate membership is closed while it changes ownership.  Anyway, I started with bogie and hit six more bogies in a row.  A lot of up and downs.  Double bogied the seventh with a birdie on the eighth.  Finished with a bogie on nine and a 44 going out, easily the most consistent nine holes I've ever played.  Make the turn and the game goes south.  Let's just say a 53 on the back was marked by two doubles, two triples and a quad bogie.  Highlight of the back side was seventeen - typically a 3w or 3h based on which set of tees we play.  Today was a 3w that I played perfectly to get the cart path bounce for a 258 "overall" drive, an easy gap wedge in and two putt for par.  No amazing stats to report, but a great day of golf that had some consistently boring golf on the front and lets see how many ways I can mess a score on the back event.   Looking to have another opportunity to hit the links with the best ball 9-holer tomorrow afternoon.   

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

On 3/7/2022 at 3:56 PM, p1n9183 said:

What a saturday I had! finally all the game came together, played at my home course (70.2 rating / 128 slope) and shoot -5 (67). Amazing ballstriking and I managed to sunk a nice share of putts.

After a sandwitch at noon I joined a couple of friends to play 12 more holes, shot -6.
-11 in 30 holes, that was amazing to experience for a 1.6 index player. 

Of course, as I spected I hit reality on Sunday shooting an above average 75 (+3) witch felt like a horrible and boring round of golf. 

One week later I shot +1 (73) on Saturday and again a marvelous -5 (67) on Sunday.
This last weekend I shot -2 (70) on Saturday and just practiced the course on a windy day on Sunday. Game is really taking off right now, index dropped to 0,1 and is likely that I will lower it a little more by the end of the month to achieve +handicap.. I would love to see that..  

Had an absolutely miserable start to my round though it did get better towards the end.

Quadruple (2 balls in the water), triple (1 ball in the water), bogey x 2, double, par, double, bogey, double, par, double, par x 2, double, bogey, par, bogey x 2

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

shot 42 over 9-holes on my home-course today.. I ended up with 2 par, one double-bogie and the rest bogies.. the double was caused by an unfortunate water-ball that ended up about 10 meter right of the target and had an unlucky bounce into the hazard.

All in all I am very happy with the round though, as I had some decent approaches and my putting went great. The driver was a bit disappointing (first use about 215 meters, but it wasn't a solid hit; second was a complete mishit to around 115 meter - so pitching wedge distance), and I decided to use my 3-wood at hole 8 instead of the driver, as I am just so much more consistent with it. Hole 8 is a par 4 and even with my 3-wood off the tee (goes over 200 meters, usually around 210m) I can get a decent approach shot with about 160 meters left. My 7 iron even went a bit too far and it rolled off the back of the green (according to Arccos it ended at 164 meter).  I just need to get the penalty out, and maybe tighten up a few of the chips around the green and I should be able to get below 40 on that course again. I managed this only once so far, but with the weather brightening up and the course being much drier than the past months it's so much easier (and more fun) to play again.

cheers Chris

Fairly decent round and decent ball striking today.  A bit of improvement in the short game and I would have had a single digit score.  Wound up 12 over

Par, double (chipped into bunker and then two putts), bogey x 2, par x 2, bogey, par x 2, bogey, par, bogey x 2, par, bogey x 4

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Had a great ball striking round today and generally good scores.  Played 14 holes and only one bad hole.  I got into the water hazard and decided to try and play out of it.  This was a practice round for me since I am playing a tournament on Sunday.  Took me 3 shots to get out of the hazard and then wound up with a triple bogey.  Normally I would have just taken a penalty drop but I decided to try and practice in case I wound up in such a situation.  The end result is I will take a penalty drop in the future.

bogey x 2, par, birdie, bogey x 4, triple, bogey, par, bogey x 3

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Just over 2" rain yesterday meant cart path only today at Minnesott - and its one of the best draining courses in the area.  Also meant the greens were really receptive to approaches but also somewhat slower in terms of roll.  Nothing like seeing an approach shot hit and stick!  My son and I were some of the earlier ones out today so we were not pushed in any way and it made for a leisurely round.  I wound up with a 92 and he a 95.  Overall, it was a decent "for me" round with 4 GIR and 3 more nGIR.  Putting was so-so with 39 putts (several holes were three putts and no one putts).   Scoring wise - 4 pars (2 front, 2 back); 7 bogies (5 front, 2 back) and 7 doubles (2 front, 5 back) with two of the pars coming on the last two holes - nothing like finishing solid.   

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

amazing weather over here today.. about 20C and sunny and no wind.. played a 9 hole round (as most of the time) and ended up with 5 par.. the most amount of pars I've ever had so far.. unfortunately I added a triple-bogie and a double bogie to the round as well.. 

my overall best round was 3 birdies on those 9 (also adding in a triple and a double-bogie)

cheers Chris

I played one of my best rounds today, and it was championship day from our whatsapp-group (15 members).. we play regularly together and go on golf trips together, and have a monthly championship with small prizes (birdie pins, sleeve of balls for closest to the pin on holes 1,9,10 and 18 as well as a 15 Euro and a 30 Euro voucher to a golf-shop for 2nd and 1st prize).. 

I managed to play an 83 today which resulted in 40 stableford points, which gave me the first prize. 2 players shot lower scores (81 and 80) but we play stableford, and given they have a lower handicap, I ended up winning.  It's the second time that I won so far (out of 9 championships that we have played so far). Comes in handy, as I need to get some new gloves again anyways. 

cheers Chris

Tournament today and my game was good except my finishing, especially the putting, let me down.  I finished 16 over while I should really have been 10 over or so.  Too many putts which refused to go in.

bogey, par, double, par, bogey x 2, par, bogey x 8, double, par, bogey

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Bogey-free 71 yesterday, 17 pars and a birdie. Kinda of a boring round really, hit it pretty well, but just couldn't get anything close, couldn't hit the par 5s in two, and when I missed the par 5s I missed in really bad places so I couldn't get up and down for birdie.

I missed 8 fairways, but 6 of those were by less than 4 feet, only one drive on #2 actually had me in any trouble and I was able to punch out and get up and down. Missed five greens but only had to chip twice because the other misses were actually shortish putts from the collar. 

Pretty happy altogether, I have gone bogey free very few times in my life. Only problem was my buddy shot 30 on the front and I ended up paying out like an ATM. In my group, one birdie just doesn't cut it. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 9.19.00 AM.png

Edited by NM Golf
  • Thumbs Up 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Disaster on Saturday. Really regressed in my work on my swing path. It was cold and windy so that didn't help, but still. Only two pars. 

48-47-95

Bill M