IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Came less than a centimeter short of my first eagle. Had an ugly triple on the last too. But didn't lose a ball. Now in the last 3 rounds I have only lost 1 ball. 

• Like 1

Golf in the summer, curl in the winter.

(edited)

On Saturday I played a short (~5900yds) but narrow course that has some quirky holes and very mature trees.

Shot a 34-34 for a 68 on a par 71 which tied my lowest score relative to par at -3 (all time lowest round is a 67 on a par 70) and set my new record for most birdies in a round with 6. 

That included a penalty stroke bogey on a par 5 and another sloppy bogey from 125 in the middle of the fairway.

Hit a wedge from 110 to a foot on a par 4 and a knockdown flighted 9 iron from 140 to 2 feet on a par 3 for easy birdies. Add in driving it greenside on a par 4 and a couple tap in birdies on par 5s and it was a good day.

Also helps that I made every putt inside 10 feet and only ended up with 27 putts for the round. 

This is the SG compared to scratch and that includes losing 1.01 strokes approach on the 1st hole when I sliced a 5 iron into a hazard. 

image.png

Edited by klineka
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   :titleist: SM9 54/58  
Putter: :tmade: Spider X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Been a while since posting so here's an update for today.  Grandson is at golf-camp this week which means I can walk the front nine while he's doing his thing.  Today I opted to play an eight club bag: Driver, 3w, 4h, 6i, 8i, PW, 54* and Putter.  Played from my regular tees and had a blast working the course.  Shot a solid 39 (three bogies, rest pars).  Of the six pars  - 4 were up and downs where the 54 came into play to put the ball in "kick-in" range.  I knew that by limiting the club selection, I would need to plan to play "short" to give me a good easy pitch into the flag.  Today was a good reminder of why the 5 S's are key to making soild gains in your game - here's the link to that thread: 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• 2 weeks later...

Bogey golf for 9 holes. On the Struggle bus. Mostly struggling on the longer clubs. And I really can’t buy a putt right now.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

40 - diff 12  😏

First round in 4months and only my 3rd round all year. Coulda been a lot better, coulda been worse. 

FW: 5/7

GIR: 5/9

putts: 19 (one three-putt). I missed a 4 footer and a 6 footer I’d like to have back. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Had a very consistent round of 78 at Silverhorn GC, San Antonio, TX. GHIN tells me my differential was 7.7. The greens were slow and grainy so I was never able to figure out how to hole any of my birdie putts. A few times the numerous doglegs stymied me but for the most part I maneuvered around the course in the fairway and on the green in regulation. Made a mess on one hole and had to breakout some bandages when a thorny vine interrupted my punch out.

Looking forward to returning to the more temperate climes of the Mitten.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I shot 101 ending with three triples and a double on the last 4 holes. Needless to say, I’m out of shape and ran out of gas. 
I have to brag on my friend who shot a 79 on a par 71 course. I think he drags me out when he needs someone to beat up on. 🤣

Edited by CarlSpackler

- Shane

Played first time since 6/1/24 due to a diagnosis of tennis elbow. Played Links O’Tryon and shot 38-45=83. Surprisingly, parred the first six holes but shanked approach on 6th and made a great up and down. Shanked again on seventh tee, 11th approach and 15th tee ball. Lost 6 strokes to par on those holes. Gained over 3 strokes putting but missed short birdie putts on 14 and 17. Looking forward to the next round.

I was born in September of 1952. Today I shot 71 on a par 71 layout (6,039 yards 69.2/115). Thank you very much! 😁

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Long time since I've posted.

I've been working through some really hard swing changes and admitting that I needed to nearly start over to actually get better. I shot almost the best 9 hole 44 of my life this morning while actually playing by the rules. I'm trying to legitimize my golf game, keep a real handicap and work past being just a weekend hack to someone who can maybe play actual bogey golf somewhat regularly. Had a couple disastrous double bogeys that kind of blew up my score.

Favorite shot was an absolutely pured baby draw 5i about 180yds on a par 3 with a 2 putt for par.

• Thumbs Up 2

82, 10 over.
My best round probably ever!
Not having played or picked up my clubs in 3 weeks, I was hoping to shoot in the low 90s.

Nope, played alot of Par golf, 2 doubles, 1 Birdie and a few bogies!

• Thumbs Up 2

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Yesterday my golf partner and I chose to play in the rain. This was a first time playing in the rain for me and I sort of regret it.
We tee'd off at about 7am and played 18. The rain did not let up the entire time. By hole 6 I was +11 and this is when I decided to stop keeping score lol.
I am thankful to have been able to be out on the course instead of in the office, but it was not a great experience. My supposed water proof raingear was soaked through. I was soaked down to my undergarments. My range finder died after hole 3. The "Dry Pocket" on my bag where I keep my keys and phone was wet inside.
Just about every swing, the club would slip about an inch out of my grip right before hitting the ball. So if I didn't slice the ball like 20 yards, it would go about 50 yards from chunking it.
I must've lost about 10 or so balls. Coming up to hole 9 I was starting to get pretty bummed out. I had to try and breathe and calm down and tell myself not to allow it to get to me. At which point I just started laughing at how horrible everything was going. It was comically bad and an experience I will not forget. At this point I started playing a bit better, managed to par a couple holes. I don't think I'll be choosing to play in the rain again any time soon :D

Novice golfer seeking to learn and improve.

7 hours ago, retoid said:

Yesterday my golf partner and I chose to play in the rain. This was a first time playing in the rain for me and I sort of regret it …
Just about every swing, the club would slip about an inch out of my grip right before hitting the ball.

I don’t typically play in a steady rain unless it is a tournament. If you do decide to play when there is rain or a chance of rain, consider getting some rain gloves. Rain gloves come typically as a pair for both hands. One makes the glove palms very wet. Then grip your club normally. It should not slip.

A quality rain suit costs a fair amount. In the Pacific Northwest, you might think about getting a rain suit. “Breathable” suits don’t trap humid air inside and keep you dry. Cheap rain suits don’t “breathe” and you can get wet from condensation inside the suit. I’d recommend a quality jacket, at lease.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

well the universe corrected itself.
Sat I shot the round of my life.
Today I played 9 and for the first 5 holes you would have thought it was my first time playing the game.
SHANK CITY!!!!!
100 yards down into the green (2nd shot), SHANK right into the trees.
130 into a green (2nd shot), SHANK into a bunker
120 into a green (3rd shot on a par 5) Shank right into a pond!

By the 6th hole I figured it out and went Par, Par, Par & Par to end up with a 47.

I could have also been due to the thunder, lighting and rain.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Shot a 5 over 40. If I just aimed my driver neutral (down the middle), I probably shoot better I was trying to hit a slight cut all night and just kept hitting straight shots or straight draws (slight toe strikes). I was out of position a bit. I am overdoing it a bit on my piece since I was overdrawing the irons on a few strikes. Which is good that I can over do it. I just need to tone it back. I hit two great slinging draws from the trees 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 8/1/2024 at 8:16 AM, Elmer said:

well the universe corrected itself.
Sat I shot the round of my life.
Today I played 9 and for the first 5 holes you would have thought it was my first time playing the game.
SHANK CITY!!!!!
100 yards down into the green (2nd shot), SHANK right into the trees.
130 into a green (2nd shot), SHANK into a bunker
120 into a green (3rd shot on a par 5) Shank right into a pond!

By the 6th hole I figured it out and went Par, Par, Par & Par to end up with a 47.

I could have also been due to the thunder, lighting and rain.

Man, I know how this goes all too well!
I got to get out again this week and I am very thankful to have been able to. Started the front 9 off with 7 over, which is pretty good for me. One par and a birdie, the rest bogies and a double.
Not terrible by any means for how I usually play. However, there seems to be a trend in my golf game that whenever I do well on the front nine, it starts going down hill real fast on the back nine. That is exactly what happened. Ended up with 13 over on the back nine and lost 5 balls on just 3 holes. I was thinking the exact same thing as you, you'd have thought I never knew how to play golf by what was happening. Had 3 triples and a double on the back nine. Otherwise I would have shot my best game yet. Also had a birdie and a par on the back nine. I never get birdies. After the 3rd triple, I just about lost faith and was ready to give up and call it a day. Golf is hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Novice golfer seeking to learn and improve.

I am on a bit of a roll. In today’s tournament I won the first flight with a net 68 (74 gross).  67.6/122. That is two wins in three events. The handicap chairman will need to check into this (wait, that’s me 🙄). As many of us do, I have struggled at times this season. It feels good to finally put things together, even if it is just a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Shot 45-36= 81 in my first round after receiving a cortisone injection for tennis elbow.

Links O’Tryon is a straightforward course we have played for the second year for an annual tournament a large group of friends. Struggled on the front with 2 triples in a row and a cold shank on 7 for my third triple. Played -1 the rest of the way. Great putting day with a mere 24 putts after holing 3 from just off the green on 1, 11 and 17.