IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Continued to stink it up on my new course (just moved here in December) and continuing to have issues with my short pitches and chips around the greens (but I'm working on it).  I'd like to blame that on the tight lies and winter conditions, but I know it's more me than the turf at fault.  Despite 2 birdies today, I had enough throw up holes (including an OB off the tee box and another penalty stroke when I found myself in the pampas grass after hitting my approach shot long and rolling down the hill behind the green) to come in with an 83.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Started well but not great overall.  Two triples killed my card but good otherwise.

Par, bogey, par, triple (OB), bogey, bogey, par x 2, triple (hazard and drop)

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Played Ayden G&CC today (a fun local course just over an hour from home), finished with a 92 (45 front / 47 back) It is the one my grandson calls a "real golf course" - not sure what he means.  This course has well maintained greens and offers some good opportunities for getting in trouble.  We, my grandson, his dad and I, played from the greens (a mix of mixed tees of white and gold).   Started off par - par - bogie - par, yea buddy.  Five turned exploded into triple bogie, after wrestling with the trees.  Started with the drive just in the pine straw.  Had a good line out toward the green, on the downswing  my lead foot slid on the pine straw and the ball ricocheted around tree limbs and landed 20 yds back still in the trees.  3rd was again to get through the trees and did not make it.  4th, not trying to get bent out of shape, was clean and ended about 50 yds out.   Trying to shake it off but never got back in the groove.  Last highlight of the day - number 14, hit a shortish tee shot that had me right of the fairway but with a good line to the green.  A good 7i in and I am sitting about 6' from the hole.  One putt and I get to circle the hole with birdie!  Felt good to have a good hole.   Putting was better than my norm with 34 total or 1.9 per hole avg.  Only 3 GIR with a couple nGIR.  Off the tee was okay with 7 of 14 hit.  Takeaway for the day - set-up work this week, esp in the grip yielded much more consistent ball striking and better averaging.  No wild hooks or slices!   

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Played the front 9 of Pebble Beach at 6500 yards today. On a simulator. Shot 7 over, it took a while to get used to pitching and chipping when you can't see the distance to feel the shot. On the bright side, I was banging the driver, averaging 249 carry, hit all but one fairway, which I drove through. (249 carry is big for me anymore, at 62 yrs old.....)

Well this is crazy. Played Pinehurst #4 yesterday (Friday).  I think there was a thread here that someone (Iacas ?) talked about getting off to a good start can set the tone for the day.  Well that happened on that day, going -1 through the 1st four holes.  Putting that day was just crazy! Sinking a +30 footer on the 3rd hole for par surely helped. On the 4th hole a par three it almost went in from 148yds, but stopped a few inches for the birdie.  At that point it was looking like a very good round, but the 5th hole a par 4  was playing at 480 yards. Gave the birdie right back! So even thru 5 was good. Split the next 4 holes with two pars, two bogeys. 38 on the front. Only 12 putts on the front. 7/7 fairways, but only 2 GIR, hence the low number of putts.

Back 9 started with a bogey, had my 1st missed fairway of the day. The 11th hole thru 15th we’re all pars, poor chip on 16 gave me a 2nd bogey!  The Par 5 17th was interesting at 573 yards! Wind at our backs so I wanted to bust it and did I ever! A dead pull left that somehow stayed on the property! 2nd shot was played for position and wasn’t played very well.  Right side now in the rough, but a great lie. Shot the pin and it was 220. Shot of the day, hit the 3 wood on a rope, ball came to rest 15ft left of the pin. Salvaged the par, whew!  All that was left was the 404yd 18th. Crosswind from the right. Nutted the driver (for me) and  had 145 left. On the green with my 2nd shot, made the par.  38 on the back, 5/7 fairways, 7 GIR’s, 17 putts.

Best round of the year. Played the Blue/White hybrid tees at 6,658 yards. Usually play the White tees at 6,428. Overall I played all the Par 3’s and Par 5’s EVEN!  4 over on the Par 4’s.

An now….no golf till next Tuesday due to IZZY!

On Thursday I had a match against a buddy I hadn’t played with in a while. We decided to play the whites at my home course, Umstead Pines. 

I three-putted four times on the front side, but I was hitting the ball so well that I still made two birdies (the fifth and ninth holes) and went out in 39. I led my buddy by three strokes.

Then on the tenth I hooked my tee shot almost OB and made bogey from there, and my lead was cut to two. We went back-and-forth for the next seven holes, mixing good and bad holes. By the time we got to 18, a 157-yard par 3 over a lake, my lead was down to just one stroke.

I had the honor, and I hit a 7I that landed on dry land, but then somehow spun backward into the lake. He then sent a laser iron to ten feet, seemingly securing the victory. I then chunked two straight chip shots and eventually faced a 15-footer for double. He had to just two putt from ten feet to win. He hit a good putt to 18 inches…then missed. I was still alive, but I had to drain my downhill, breaking 15-footer to send it back to the first tee. 

It looked great all the way, but it caught the high side and lipped out. I tapped in for a final score of 86 and a one-stroke loss. However, it was one of the closest matches I’ve had in a long time, and we did a lot of trash talk on the back nine.

As for my game, I feel that I played pretty well apart from two ugly triples on the back. Putting wasn’t the greatest, but I’m continuing to hit the ball well. We’ve got one month till season starts, so stay tuned for a post in my blog in the next few days!

• Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Played on a simulator again last night. It was not a good swing day, arthritis was baaaaaad. I was driving pretty well, working around the corners and hitting fairways, but I never got over 138 ball speed, and was hitting the ball low with all of my woods. A few 3 putts, a few bad approaches, a lot of wedges hit long on the fly. I was something like 14 over in 12 holes. But it was fun.........

Unfortunately I haven't' even completed an 18 hole round in a few weeks. It's snow bird season......😒. Pace of play has been on the slow side. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Decent round today.  Only played the back 9.

Bogey x 4, par x 4, bogey

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Played Minnesott today with my son.  Was the tale of two nines - shot a personal beat of 1 over on the front nine (six pars, two bogies and 1 birdie).  Should have stopped there as I was 12 over on the back nine (no penalty strokes) - three doubles, a triple, three bogies and two pars.  Total putts was 30 (12 on the front, 18 on the back), 2 GIR but another 11nGIR (mostly on the front nine) - a great day of up and down. Was seeing the putts well.  A good round even if the back side was not so good.  Unfortunately my son struggled enough that he quit keep score at the turn and just played.  He did have a couple of great holes - 16 (a shorter par 5) he was 1 yd off, pin high in two and shot birdie.  Overall a good day. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Decent round with the exception of two or three holes.  Played 14 holes. 1,2, 7-18.

Par x 5, bogey, par, double, triple, bogey x 4, par.  One OB which led to a double and a whole bunch of miserable shots which led to a triple on a par 3.  Otherwise was happy though pulled a lot for some reason.

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Up and down round.  Played 1,2, 7 to 18.  Par, bogey, par x 3, double, par, bogey, double, birdie, bogey, par x 3

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Zero! Courses are closed at Pinehurst!  We had about 4 inches. Nothing compared to other locations but enough to shut it down.  Pretty sure I’m going yo miss my tee time tomorrow.  It’s currently 32* outside.

D8F8A49F-1C38-499E-B4A8-9A8C41054999.jpeg

Thursday and Today were 77-75. One birdie Thursday and two today and some solid play! This is following an opening year round of 85, so I am no longer a danger in harming myself! Today was really some good golf, nothing forced, played windy and rainy, just a solid round. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Played a local course a buddy runs. Temperature at tee time was 19F.  Hardly any snow on the ground. Previous experience under such conditions has taught me the ball will land and bounce like it hit a concrete parking lot, best off playing a links style run it up game. So the T300s stayed home. Out came the "other" bag with my beloved Yonex ADX tour blades. Threw in a Mizuno Grad 1 iron for tee shots. Brought along one wood, my trusty M6 9 wood just in case I had to go over the wall to get  out of jail. Hit the ball well, knocking down everything shorter than a 6 iron. Got a lot of bad bounces, and a few good ones. Shot 87, which Ill take considering I was wearing Thorogood work boots and could barely feel my hands on the back, Despite winter gloves between shots. I guess I'm getting a little old for this much fun. lol

Edited by Esox

Couple of bad holes but overall fairly happy.  Lost my scorecard so relying on my memory for the scores.

Par, bogey x 2, double, par, triple, par x 2, bogey, par x 2, bogey, par, bogey, par, bogey, double, bogey

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Another round today.  Again kinda up and down but not too bad overall.  Played 1-13 and 16-18.

Bogey, par, triple, bogey, par, bogey x 2, pa x 4, bogey, double x 4

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

I don't care if its only simulator golf. It's -1 outside and I'll probably never have another round, real or not, that starts with a 5 especially from 7100. Shame we're at least 2+ months away from stepping on a golf course. I can only hit into a net or putt on a mat for so long thankfully found this sim just about 15 min from my house. Its just a mevo+ but he only charges me $25 and I'm usually in there for close to 3 hours so hard to beat that.

SIM 59.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3