IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

I shot 174 yesterday. Good thing I played 36.

Shot 92 in a morning round at R&S; Scharf GC in Rochester, a Rick Smith design. It was my yearly grudge match against a good friend. We played from the Grizzly tees, which measured 6,700 yards. But it played like 7,100. Tons of long forced carries, and lots of thick fescue and gorse. Even the primary cut was stout. Missing the fairway was an automatic bogey or double, as the greens were very fast and had tons of movement. But the score only mattered in relationship to my friend's score. He was 7 strokes up on me on the front nine, but then I rallied with a string of pars on the back while he finally ran out of short game magic. My highlight was on 17. I hit a great drive with my new FT-3, 312 down the middle. I had an even 100 to the pin. At the top of my backswing, one of the other players in our group yanked a club from his bag with a huge clatter. I flinched and hit a cold s**** dead right under a bush. After a large, prolonged internal scream, I gathered myself to punch out from under the bush to 5 feet, then rolled in the putt for par. I am the champion, my friends ...

My wife and kids were out of town for the night, so after a quick lunch at Oakland Hills (couldn't play because they had a corporate outing), it was off to Shenandoah CC for another 18 to get the 92 score out of my system. I played much better and shot 39 on the front. Made some tired swings and missed some easy putts on the back for a 43, but an 82 felt pretty good. Tapping in for par for my 174 on the 18th green felt great!

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5Β° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21Β° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5Β° (Oil...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got out and played Saturday with a good friend of mine who is just learning the game.

I tied the best round of my golfing career, and it was the first time I have broken 80 in four or five years. I was very excited to say the least, but it should have been much lower. I was +2 after 11 holes and a triple bogey on the 13th really killed my round. That hole seriously has me beat, as I have had two double bogeys my previous two rounds. Anyway, I finished up with a couple bogeys and 3 or 4 pars to break 80. I left a birdie putt a few inches short for a 78, but I took the 79 and ran.

I used my 3 wood off the tee all day long and put it in the middle of the fairway. I may have only been 250 off the tee, but I was in the short stuff. And that is key for me here lately. My iron-play was as good as it's been in quite some time, and my short game was solid, nothing more and nothing less.

Overall, I'm very pumped about the round, and hopefully it was no fluke.

Well, I followed the 174 I shot on Friday with a 66 on Monday. OK, the 174 was for 36 holes and the 66 was a scramble.

Played in a big double-shotgun scramble my father-in-law puts on at St. Ives GC. What a great course. I played with my brother-in-law and two stepbrothers-in-law. My BIL is a good stick and won one of the long-drive holes for the third consecutive year. He and I ham-and-egged it around nicely on the front, and we were 6-under standing on the 9th tee. But we gave one back on the 9th, then all our putters went cold. Once it was obvious we weren't going to win the team competition, we concentrated on trying to win the long drive and closest to the pin competitions. I had a 300-yarder in the fairway on one of the long-drive holes (all carry, zero roll, unfortunately), but my BIL bombed a 315-yarder past it. I did momentarily have closest to the pin with a PW to 8 feet on a 143-yard hole, but the next group put two balls inside that.

Fun to play in a scramble every once in a while. Good combination of pressure/non-pressure situations. I was the anchor, hitting fourth on every shot. If one of the other three guys had a good ball in play, then I had the freedom to swing away with no pressure and try to hit a great shot (which happened a few times). But if we were 0-for-3 when I hit, I definitely felt the pressure of needing to hit a good shot (and did more often than not).

Oh, and there was lots of beer.

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5Β° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21Β° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5Β° (Oil...

• Administrator

Shot a 79 today with nines of 39-40. The 40 was in league play, and so I was a bit more aggressive than I would normally be.

I recorded myself on video last night and was appalled by what I saw. I'll describe it in another thread, but basically, UGH. So I hit about four shots on the range and then went out to play with a guy on my team.

Played like ass on the first four holes - three bogeys, one brilliant up and down for par on the third (the toughest hole in that stretch). I hit the ball well off the tee on the third, and well again off the tee on the fourth.

On the fifth, a par 4, I hit a perfect drive - perhaps my best ever on that hole. I hit a good wedge shot to 15 feet. Two putted for par.

On the sixth, a par 5, I hit a perfect drive, a perfect hybrid, and a perfect little wedge to 15 feet. Two putted for par.

On the seventh, a long par 3, I hit a hybrid a tad on the toe, but otherwise good. To 35 feet. Two putted for par.

On the eight, a par 4, I hit a good 3W to the right rough. I hit a good 9I to 15 feet. Two putted for par.

On the ninth, a par 4, I hit a great drive and a good 3/4 wedge to 15 feet. Two putted for par.

I never had more than a foot left for par, I hit nearly every fairway (my miss was by a yard), and I hit ever GIR. I also missed every birdie putt, none of which was really longer than 15 feet (not counting #7).

So that's the 39. I was pretty confident going in to league play, but I had to give the guy a stroke on the 17th, so... you never know.

Opponent wins 10 with a par. My par putt lipped out after I mishit my 6I approach shot from a severe downhill lie. I win 11 with an easy par. Well, I had a two-footer for par, but I'm money on those. I three-putt 12. My birdie lipped out and I think it tripled in speed and I had 10 feet coming back up the hill. He nearly chipped in and then holed a 12-footer for par. So I lose a point.

He gets himself into a ton of trouble on 13. I have my favorite shot - 100 yards - in on the hole. Hit it to 5 feet right of the cup, ball bounces, goes over green. Chip barely lands on green with lob wedge, rolls down to front of the green (those who've played Lake View know what I mean here). The greens were not acting normally today - that shot normally hops a foot or two and stops dead. Anyway, I two putted from there for a six and a win to his 7 or 8 or whatever (he picked up). I two-putted for par on the next, a par 3, to win that hole. He duffed his drive on the next hole and then rocketed a 3W from 230 that actually hit the flagstick. I hit a perfect 3W (from the tee, though) myself, and hit my 7I to 15 feet. Yes, you guessed it, I two-putted to tie. The dumb shit of it is, nearly every one of the putts I hit on those 5 holes on the front and this one were perfect putts. I hit them as hard as I wanted and on the line I wanted. They just didn't fall. Oh well. So anyway, I win the second three holes, two up.

Next is an uphill par 4, short. Hit my drive way left (put a good swing on it, just double crossed myself a little). Punch out. Chip on. Nearly hole long par putt (yeah, chip wasn't so good, green had no grab), but it slides by to 8 feet (our greens are pretty brutal sometimes, and they were baked today). Hole putt for 5. Opponent four-putts for double bogey. One up.

Next hole is 17, where he gets a stroke. The way his first two shots went, I pushed hard. I hit a huge drive, but left. I half-swung to punch out with the hybrid and nearly reached the green. But I was dead behind a tree. He got himself to 3 feet for a 5 net 4, so I conceded after making 6. Yeah, I went for the heroic shot around the tree (you know, from 20 yards short of the pin). Match play... what can I say?

Anyway, two drives in a row left, so I drive one into the right rough on 18. Didn't catch it at all - I thought it was a horrible shot - but I think the "new swing" has a lot more room for error. That or I'm not quite used to it... anyway, hit it 260 and had 125 in. Hit a 9I to eight feet, a few inches into the fringe. Finally holed a putt for birdie after conceding his bogey. Yes, he made me putt from 8 feet when two would have won. Won the last three holes, one up, and the total # of holes, two up, for a 3-1 victory.

If you read all that, congratulations. On what, I'm not sure...

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Well, shot one under yesterday. I was pleased but not so pleased, but still pleased. Played at Knollwood C.C. I know this course pretty darn well. I worked there when I was 14, and it was my High School's home course.

Got up from bed, cleaned myself off, and went to the course. Got there and was on the tee right away. Bogeyed one and five. Pared everything until 16 where I birdied in.

I wasn't hitting the ball all that great, but I was putting myself in the right places, and left myself no more than 15feet from hole 11 on. So, clearly I wasn't making many putts either. Also, it was 102 degrees, and, like a fruitcake, I decided to walk. By hole 9 I was fed up with taking practice swings 'cause it was simply draining my energy. So overall, I was pleased, except for missing all those close'ish birdie putts.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Administrator

77. My "new" (i.e. improved, non-lazy) swing is working well. I had a lot of routine pars. The bogeys came when I either got a bad break or temporarily forgot about my swing deal and goofed up.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Had some vacation time on Tuesday so a friend and myself played Plantation . They had a special for $30 which included cart, green fees, and lunch. I had never played the course and found it pretty challenging.

I shot 113, my buddy shot 115. It would have probably been higher but we took some gracious drops.

Driver: X460 10Β°
Hybrid: Heavenwood 2H
Irons: X-12 3-PW
Wedges: Vintage Forged 48Β° & 56Β°
Putter: DF 990Ball: HX Hot

76 - 39/37 at Riverchase CC in Birmingham AL yesterday. Was there visiting a friend. 1 double, 4 bogeys, 2 birdies. The course is not rated too hard so I did not reach my potential handicap wise but it was an ok day. The putter sucked.

In the bag:
Titleist 983K
Titleist 904F 15*
Titleist 904F 19*
Titleist 990 3-PW Titleist Vokey 256-12 56*Cleveland Gunite 60*Odyssey 990 putterTitelist Pro-V1*

I played a weekly noon tournament at Bountiful Ridge yesterday. This was the first time to play in this in two years. It's a team Chicago format plus you can play in the twilight on the front and back including skins.

The team I was on didn't win anything, but I won a $17 skin after making a long birdie putt. I might have won something on the front and/or back nine in the twilight also.

Here is the round:

http://www.mygolfdomain.com/round_view.php?round=753

I shot a 78 (7 over). A blocked drive and fat SW approach cost me severely.

My Golf Domain.com

• Administrator

Jim, you can make links on this forum, like here is the round. Might want to consider doing that...

I got out after the big three-day Member/Guest at my course to play the back nine. Shot a 38 that started with two birdie putts from inside eight feet. Hit two pull-hooks that cost me, and three-putted after reaching the 13th (par 5) in two.

Really the easiest 38 I've ever shot, and my game is really, really coming around since I fixed my "lazy swing" thing.

I played my usual Sunday round with my Physical Therapist, his FIL, and my Dentist. We played Kings North at Myrtle Beach National. One of my favorite courses. I had a cook out folowed by some Hold 'Em Saturday night and it went until about 2 am. So needless to say I was more than a little hung over and not expecting much. I played well on the front but had 2 bad chips that cost me and I bogeyed those holes. Made the turn with a 39 ... I had my usual "power snack" ("golf dog" and a Snickers at the turn) then proceeded to throw up 4 birds in the next 5 holes and then PBFU came, double, and then luckily parred out for a 1 over, 73. I don't keep an offical handicap but play to about a 4 or so. I can shoot anywhere from 76 to 84. Needless to say I was a happy guy .. not only shooting a 73 but doing it hung over!!

-What's in Da Bag?-

TaylorMade M1 8.5Β 
Cobra SZ strong 3
3-w Titleist 735 CMΒ 

I played my usual Sunday round with my Physical Therapist, his FIL, and my Dentist. We played Kings North at Myrtle Beach National. One of my favorite courses. I had a cook out folowed by some Hold 'Em Saturday night and it went until about 2 am. So needless to say I was more than a little hung over and not expecting much. I played well on the front but had 2 bad chips that cost me and I bogeyed those holes. Made the turn with a 39 ... I had my usual "power snack" ("golf dog" and a Snickers at the turn) then proceeded to throw up 4 birds in the next 5 holes and then PBFU came, double, and then luckily parred out for a 1 over, 73. I don't keep an offical handicap but play to about a 4 or so. I can shoot anywhere from 76 to 84. Needless to say I was a happy guy .. not only shooting a 73 but doing it hung over!!

I played in our club comp (nett) yesterday and had a stinker!!!

Shot a shocking 89 which gave me a nett 75 so not expecting anything off that but ive got a chance to redeem myself this sunday coming as its the 2nd round. Dont know if any of you remember but i was playing cackhanded,well i no longer play that way i gave in and changed to the conventional grip about 4 weeks ago so im probably being a bit hard on myself.

Well, I played at Southern Oaks out in Houma, Louisiana on friday and I shot like crap. I shot a 114. I wasn't that upset though because after all I haven't played golf in over a year and it was better than being at work.

Shot an 80...36-44. I choked at the end big time. After parring 10 and 11 I bogeyed the next four holes, then tripled 16, parred 17 and bogeyed 18...Pretty sad, I was having such a good round that I started aiming shots instead of just hitting them, I was striking the ball beautiful until the end of the round....Anyway there's always tommorrow.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Had A Weird Round Today Just Got The Day Off Work And Played With A Mate On Our Local, Couldn't Off Started Off Much With A Bouble At The First Then Bogeying The Following 3 Holes +5 Thru 4 Bad Start, Was Mainly The Putting Letting Me Down Finding Fairways And Greeens Ok, Few Missed In Regulation Paid The Price For The Those Just Coming To The End Of The Front 9 And On The 8th Hit A Birdie On The Par 5 And Miss A Birdie Put On 9 From 7 Foot. Things Look A Little Brighter Or So I Think. Hit A Double On Par 3 10th After Finding Trouble Off The Tee. Anyway Just Aboout Salavage Around With Back To Back Birdies On 16 And 17 And Par On 18 For A Round 77 +5

Had About 11 Birdies In The Round Most From Outside 15ft But A Few From Inside 7 Feet Or So. Was Quite Pleased With The Round Just Frustrated At How I Put It Together

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade r580 XD. STIFF SHAFT W/ FIRM TIP 10.5Β°
5-Wood: Titleist 975F, 21Β°, S300 Stiff SHAFT
Irons: Titleist 990, S300 3 - PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 56Β°CLEAVELAND TOUR ACTION 60Β°Putter: 33" ODYSSEY 2 BALL MALLETScotty cameron Newport 2 Pro platinumBall: Titleist...