IGNORED

A summer holiday to Scotland - advice needed!

b101
Note: This thread is 2790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

So, my wife and I have decided to head way north for our summer holidays this year, and she's actually allowing me to take the clubs, to play 3, maybe 4 courses when we're up there... So, the question is, which ones? At the moment, I have carte blanche, but ideally courses near somewhere she could entertain herself. 

At the moment, I'm thinking definitely Dornoch and perhaps trying for Troon and North Berwick. I'm happy to pay whatever, so also looking at Prestwick, Turnberry (but not sure what the status will be after course edits), Kingsbarns, Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay and Machrihanish. For anyone who's headed up there, any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Ben

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you get to Dornoch, you could make it most of a week playing at Tain and Brora as well.  The Glenmorangie distillery is in Tain also, a tour seems like a nice way to spend an afternoon.  Castle Stuart and Nairn are just the other side of Inverness.  For a nice B&B in Dornoch, try Two Quail.

http://www.2quail.com/

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Hi Ben,

Great to hear you have a golf pass… and there’s so many brilliant courses up in Scotland to enjoy.

In terms of recommendations it’s not easy as the places you mention are about as far apart as you can get!

If distance and cash is no object here’s a few top 3’s to consider…

Old school links: Cruden, North Berwick, Dornoch

Brilliant new links: Kingsbarns, Trump, Castle Stuart

Toughest links: Royal Aberdeen, Carnoustie, Muirfield

Off the beaten track: Machrihanish, Machrie, Brora

Old & New Open Venues: Prestwick, Musselburgh, Troon

Turnberry will be closed until at least June I think but the changes look like they are going to be amazing so would definitely factor it in too!

There’s plenty of off-course activities for your wife to enjoy, particularly as the majority of the courses are close(ish) to places like Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Inverness…

Happy planning!

Cheers, Richard

• Upvote 1

Golfbreaks.com   -   Bespoke vacations to UK & Ireland at unbeatable prices
Email:  usasales@golfbreaks.com
Phone:  1-855-699-5853
Web:  usa.golfbreaks.com

Great responses - thanks both. We're planning on travelling around a bit, so I'm not totally fussed about distance apart! Will have a look around and see what we go for :)

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Without knowing where you have already been, here are some thoughts:

Maybe catch all the interesting courses within smaller areas, such as North Berwick, Gullane, etc. area, St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Crail, etc area., Prestwick, Troon, etc. area.

Since you are going with your wife, check to see how the courses deal with women, when I went last to Scotland maybe 10 years ago for instance Troon had some issues with where women could go so we did not play there. Hopefully better now but still worth mentioning.

And if you do go to St. Andrews I'll mention the Dunvegan, very cool place to stay just down the street from the Old Course, in town. http://www.dunvegan-hotel.com/

I am envious! Have a fun trip!

Steve

Plus 1 for North Berwick and gullane. Two of my favourite courses to play. 

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

Without knowing where you have already been, here are some thoughts:

Maybe catch all the interesting courses within smaller areas, such as North Berwick, Gullane, etc. area, St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Crail, etc area., Prestwick, Troon, etc. area.

Since you are going with your wife, check to see how the courses deal with women, when I went last to Scotland maybe 10 years ago for instance Troon had some issues with where women could go so we did not play there. Hopefully better now but still worth mentioning.

And if you do go to St. Andrews I'll mention the Dunvegan, very cool place to stay just down the street from the Old Course, in town. http://www.dunvegan-hotel.com/

I am envious! Have a fun trip!

Thanks! She doesn't play golf, so it'll be a case of me tagging along with whomever...

I returned 2 days ago from a 6 day golf outing with 3 friends.  In order of enjoyment, they were:

1) Old Course (duh)

2) North Berwick - one of my favorite courses ever

3) Kingsbarns

4) New Course

5) Carnoustie

6) Gleneagles

We stayed at the Old Course Hotel for 5 nights, in Edinburgh one night, and at the Glasgow airport the last night.  The Old Course Hotel was one of the finest hotels I've ever been to.

• Upvote 1

Mark in Colorado

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2015, 3:33:39, MrFlipper said:

The Dunvegan is famous, rightly so, as a golfers pub, and its a lively place.  But the times I've been there, its been full of American golfers, and who wants to hang around THEM?.  My favorite in town was the Whey Pat, a couple of blocks up the hill along Bridge Street, opposite the old  Gate on South Street.  Locals, students, and hand-pulled beer.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• 1 month later...

Have played most that have been mentioned...we loved Craill and Brora as the hidden gems of local golf. Royal Dornoch with Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart were great and we played The Old Course with a friend who is a member and toured the clubhouse ...saw the Claret Jug and the belt that was played for before the Jug...fantastic!

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

We've now focused purely on Ayrshire and the islands off the western coast. Excitingly, I've just booked Turnberry for July 25th, with all the re-routing and modelling done :-D, so it's now two more from the following:

• Prestwick / Western Gailes
  • Machrie
  • Machrihanish

It'll probably be Machrihanish, but really not sure on Prestwick or Western Gailes as both look like top-drawer courses with Prestwick having greater history and Western Gailes a touch cheaper and possibly more varied as a course. Thoughts as ever, are appreciated!

18 hours ago, canadianpro said:

Have played most that have been mentioned...we loved Craill and Brora as the hidden gems of local golf. Royal Dornoch with Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart were great and we played The Old Course with a friend who is a member and toured the clubhouse ...saw the Claret Jug and the belt that was played for before the Jug...fantastic!

A couple of friends went to Castle Stuart a few years back and couldn't recommend anything higher. If only we were going that far north! Still, a trip including those big three would be phenomenal...

On 19/10/2015 at 4:15 PM, skywaterbanjo said:

2) North Berwick - one of my favorite courses ever

North Berwick was right near the top of my list - I loved the look of it and will definitely play it in the future!

I've never been to that part of Scotland, but I'll throw my opinion out anyways.  For me, it would depend to a great extent on how much time you're wanting to spend in the car, as opposed to spending a little more time in one spot.  Certainly you could spend a few days in Ayrshire, and play Turnberry, Western Gailes, AND Prestwick.  I'm seeing about 4 hours travel from Turnberry to Macrihanish, and another four hours (including the ferry ride) to get to Machrie.  If you're there for the journey as much as for the golf, playing the both of those might be the thing to do.  

Dave

My family visited Scotland in 2009, visited relatives in Ayrshire and went to the Open at Turnberry.   While we were there we played some fun and interesting courses.  Summer days are long in Scotland so you can tour and golf in the same day.  You might want to look at these “non-premier” courses for a different experience/extra round.

Dundonald Links – played very late in the day and had course to ourselves. Wife walked with us.

Belleisle Golf Club –  Beautiful public golf couse and wife walked with us.

Shishkine Golf & Tennin Club – very short course on the West coast of Arran and only 12 holes.  Took ferry over from Ardrossan and made a day of it

If you make it over to Edinburgh you might want to consider:

Prestonfield Golf Club – Just south of Edinburgh

If you get a chance to venture up to Aberdeen I would thoroughly recommend checking out Royal Aberdeen, Murcar Links, Trump International or as some have said before Cruden Bay! Spoiled for choice in Scotland, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, any of the St Andrews courses and Castle Stuart are obvious choices!

• 1 month later...

Aloha, a bit new here but was at St Andrews last summer. Stayed at the Old Course Hotel and fully recommend it. Plus the wife has a high chance of approval. We played the Duke's, (free round w/ stay) and the Castle Course. Loved every minute of it. We are going back 2017 or 2018 and will start up at Aberdeen and come back trying to enjoy more of the St Andrews courses. You have a wonderful problem, enjoy the solution.

• Upvote 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

• 4 months later...

Now under a week away! Will post back with some pictures, but the three courses I get are:

• Turnberry (Ailsa) - Mon 25th
  • Western Gailes - Tues 26th
  • Machrihanish Dunes - Tues 2nd/Weds 3rd.

It's already making me want to organise another one for the year after. For those interested, Mark Crossfield has been doing a Vlog series on the revamped Turnberry course and it looks incredible. So excited!

16 hours ago, b101 said:

Now under a week away! Will post back with some pictures, but the three courses I get are:

• Turnberry (Ailsa) - Mon 25th
  • Western Gailes - Tues 26th
  • Machrihanish Dunes - Tues 2nd/Weds 3rd.

It's already making me want to organise another one for the year after. For those interested, Mark Crossfield has been doing a Vlog series on the revamped Turnberry course and it looks incredible. So excited!

Looking forward to it!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!