IGNORED

Scottsdale Courses

Note: This thread is 2289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i saw someone had started a similar thread but i did not want to bog down his thread and derail it.  Going to be out in Scottsdale next month and will be playing 1 or 2 rounds of golf.  I looked on golf now and it looked like the cheapest rates were $125+?  Where i am from usually a round with cart will run you $70-90 on a weekend.  Are the prices i saw online accurate?  Any cheaper golf courses worth playing?

sidenote: opinions on renting clubs vs schlepping mine out there for 1-2 rounds of golf?

• Administrator

Sounds about right, the prices.

I wouldn't play TPC Scottsdale, btw, at any price.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

can you elaborate one why not to play TPC scottsdale?  A few minutes ago my dad went ahead and booked the stadium course for one day and the championship course for another (can obviously cancel)  Any other courses you would reccomend?  FWIW i think he booked it for ~$125 a person

can you elaborate one why not to play TPC scottsdale?  A few minutes ago my dad went ahead and booked the stadium course for one day and the championship course for another (can obviously cancel)  Any other courses you would reccomend?  FWIW i think he booked it for ~$125 a person

I'd recommend Talking Stick or We-Ko-Pa.

TPC isn't "bad", it's just boring and not worth the price.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

you're coming to the valley during the peak golf season. Courses I play in the summer for $10, now expect $40-50. TPC runs $40-50 in the summer, obviously you're seeing the peak rates.

I suppose mvmac has never been out to Troon North as he consistently leaves them off of his list. We-Ko-Pa is great (got my hole in one on the Cholla course), Talking Stick is good but not special. Troon North, imo, is the gold standard of desert golf. Boulders is great as well.

(edited)

you're coming to the valley during the peak golf season. Courses I play in the summer for $10, now expect $40-50. TPC runs $40-50 in the summer, obviously you're seeing the peak rates.

I suppose mvmac has never been out to Troon North as he consistently leaves them off of his list. We-Ko-Pa is great (got my hole in one on the Cholla course), Talking Stick is good but not special. Troon North, imo, is the gold standard of desert golf. Boulders is great as well.

Actually that is my bad, I tend to think of it as a private course because I played there with a member but yes it is very nice.

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second and third Troon North, and that TPC is overpriced and underwhelming. There is some flat-out sensational golf in Scottsdale. We Ko Pa is really good. I like Greyhawk as well. 

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll leave you folks with a few extra rounds in January. 

The wife and I were thinking about a 3 or 4 day golf trip (arizona cali). We had no idea.

We have decided a round of golf for $500 (all in) can buy a lot of indoor buckets, lessons and simulator rounds.  

• 1 year later...

Our current first assistant pro was a teaching pro at We-Ko-Pa and has said that both courses are awesome.  

I'm going to a conference that is being held in August in Phoenix, I believe that I will need lots of sunblock and shade to play, but hopefully the prices will be much cheaper when it's a 104.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

We-Ko-Pa is a great choice as there are no houses in sight and it's a gorgeous desert setting however it's about 45 mins north east of downtown Phoenix, 25 from Scottsdale. Eagle Mountain is another nice setting in a similar area. 

McCormick Ranch is a pretty good value and has a few courses to choose from, right in the heart of Scottsdale. 

Michael Violence

I don't know much about it, but I note that the use of the ACIS card, gets you discounts at 8 area courses and the claim is, that after two rounds, you would have recouped your purchase price. I think the card is just under $150, 20% discount and other benefits. Value?  cant really say. The one I looked at was from Raven.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

@MichaelViolence I'm going to be in the Phoenix area for work in May, and thinking of heading in a couple days early to get a couple rounds in (have not played in AZ before).

I've been looking at the We-Ko-Pa courses, looks like just north of $100 a round, which I'm fine with.  Troon North looks quite a bit more expensive, and I'm curious if it's that much better than We-Ko-Pa?  I'm not necessarily concerned about paying $200+, just not interested in paying twice as much if the courses between the two resorts are on the same level.

I would say We-Ko-Pa is the way to go. Troon north courses are nice but are surrounded by houses and at twice the price I think a true desert golf experience would be at We-Ko-Pa. Both facilities are maintained very well. My only drawback with We-Ko-Pa is the distance. If that's not an issue for you then that's the one to go with.

Hit me up, I will join ya :) 

• Upvote 1

Michael Violence

On 2/19/2017 at 8:13 PM, MichaelViolence said:

I would say We-Ko-Pa is the way to go. Troon north courses are nice but are surrounded by houses and at twice the price I think a true desert golf experience would be at We-Ko-Pa. Both facilities are maintained very well. My only drawback with We-Ko-Pa is the distance. If that's not an issue for you then that's the one to go with.

Hit me up, I will join ya :) 

I will plan both We-Ko-Pa courses then.  I appreciate the advice, and will plan to shoot you a note when the details are set in stone.

Eagle Mountain, Legend Trail, Greyhawk, Troon North, Quintero, Gold Canyon, Sun Ridge Canyon(if it is open), and Wekopa are all better than the Talking Stick courses or TPC. Depends on where you are staying and where you want to drive. Also don't plan on shooting good scores at most of those either. You  don't need to bring too many balls because you will find more in the bushes every time you look for yours and they usually are tour ball quality.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

• 3 months later...

Finalized my trip to Phoenix/Scottsdale in August for my conference at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort.

Wife and I arrive August 5th and leave on the 10th.  Going to try and play at least 3-4 rounds of golf while we are there.  Might even try to play 36 holes on one day, We-Ko-Pa has a $125 for 36 holes, good thing I like it HOT.   :-D

As well as hit a couple of breweries.  

Any TST'ers want to play or meet for a beer let me know.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 2289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!