IGNORED

The Force Awakens: Spoiler Thread

jbishop15
Note: This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To make a truly groundbreaking episode 7 the way episode 4 was relative to what was genre fiction/science fiction in the late 1970s, imho, there needed to be

• more time to work on the script, existing one was rushed.
  • no requirement to win back the fans who hated the prequels.
  • even fewer required tie-ins to Disney.
  • major cahones from Disney executives to approve something risky, not likely given the $4b investment.

Look at Mad Max Fury Road (I think I gave it a birdie, in retrospect and having rewatched it, I'd change it to an eagle), it took 30 or so some odds for it to be made, there was no pressure for it to make huge box office. 

And with all due respect to Abrams, if you want something you haven't seen before, he's not the go to guy for that. On the other hand, the movie was hugely entertaining. There are rarely any movies that mostly everyone has seen anymore, a cultural touchstone. Isn't it good that there's one now?

I'm surprised no one has invoked Battlestar Galatica's "All this has happened before, and will happen again." 

So say we all.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I think ... the movie did a poor job of portraying her remembering any informal training, if she is Luke's daughter. It's as if it came to her ... they could have developed that somehow in the writing of the story. Was not impressed by the story, but the execution of what they offered the audience was terrific, and the movie moved, which helped.

We make Luke to be this powerful Jedi. Honestly, he's strong, but he's not in Anikan's league if you look at what all Anikan did at Luke's age. I think it was a big upset that Luke even had a shot to come out of Episode VI alive. You are talking about the Emperor, the most powerful Sith Lord. Then you have Vader who is still more powerful than Luke. Luke had to tap into anger, a dark side aspect, to beat Vader. He was lucky Vader had a change of heart or Luke was SOL.

If how powerful Jedi are skips a generation, she could be that powerful. Things could be that easy. In the end I might clock it as her being a savant at the force. Which doesn't bother me. I think we get caught up in assuming just because Luke struggle a bit to learn the force meant that she would. I am more in the camp that she had her memories changed, and she was trained in the force for however short time was possible till she was hidden on that planet. 

I think the biggest criticism has been the lack of a much newer story line. They went with the retro theme to the chagrin of many Star Wars fans. In the end I think it appealed to a lot of people, especially those who have the emotional ties to watching the movies in the 70's and are able to bring their kids or grandkids to this one. It had "Star Wars" feel over what Episode 1 had. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I think the biggest criticism has been the lack of a much newer story line. They went with the retro theme to the chagrin of many Star Wars fans. In the end I think it appealed to a lot of people, especially those who have the emotional ties to watching the movies in the 70's and are able to bring their kids or grandkids to this one. It had "Star Wars" feel over what Episode 1 had. 

I see your point on your entire post ...  and I expected a more original story line until I started reading about TFA. But then the reviews came in and were positive. Gosh, I was a guy who saw the original Star Wars when it made its debut. And I waited in line for hours for The Empire Strikes Back.. lol. Now I wait 2 weeks for the crowds to die down.  My 9 yr old son enjoyed it... can't wait for the next one. And yes, this had the flavor of the first series of movies.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

At what point does it change from "spoilers" to "you're no longer entitled to special protection from the plot"? I'm curious if there is any specific protocol for this, not that I plan to go proclaiming the death of a character from the rooftops or anything.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

At what point does it change from "spoilers" to "you're no longer entitled to special protection from the plot"? I'm curious if there is any specific protocol for this, not that I plan to go proclaiming the death of a character from the rooftops or anything.

I think we're there.

Kylo Ren kills his father, Han Solo.

See?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I think we're there.

Kylo Ren kills Han Solo.

See?

Go post that in the thread that doesn't have "spoiler" in the title ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Just got back from the theatre. WOW! Awesome. Finally they've made another good Star Wars! Felt "right" from start to finish. 

Edited by Ernest Jones
:banana:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

20 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Go post that in the thread that doesn't have "spoiler" in the title ;) 

I'm tempted to do that and see how long it remains before being reported.

17 hours ago, saevel25 said:

We make Luke to be this powerful Jedi.

... I think we'd agree that Luke had too many issues to be the all powerful Jedi - brother-sister, father-son - powerful but conflicted, possibly? It was an interesting conflict, and made that character more complex ... a juxtaposition to many of today's movies. (gosh - don't think I've ever used that word - juxta.. -  and probably did not use it wisely)

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

47 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

... I think we'd agree that Luke had too many issues to be the all powerful Jedi - brother-sister, father-son - powerful but conflicted, possibly? It was an interesting conflict, and made that character more complex ... a juxtaposition to many of today's movies. (gosh - don't think I've ever used that word - juxta.. -  and probably did not use it wisely)

You would want to use an adjective to describe the juxtaposition, by saying it's an odd juxtaposition to see two movies with such different characters in theaters side by side (or something to that effect).

Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! Inconceivable! 

16 hours ago, iacas said:

I think we're there.

Kylo Ren kills his father, Han Solo.

See?

If someone told me Rey kicks Kylo's ass at the end in an epic lightsaber fight, I would be so pissed. There were people who did no internet, headphones on in the theatre till the start, etc... to not get spoiled. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

If someone told me Rey kicks Kylo's ass at the end in an epic lightsaber fight, I would be so pissed. There were people who did no internet, headphones on in the theatre till the start, etc... to not get spoiled. 

Eh. I call those people weirdos. :-D

You know Kevin Spacey is Keyser Sözé, but you still watch the movie again because it's really good. You know Andy crawls through a river of shit but you still watch the movie once or twice a year because it's really good. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

46 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I don't mind spoilers too much. I was kinda pissed that this somewhat drunk guy at this bar was spouting off about Han on a bridge knowing he was going to die. I rather be shocked a bit knowing they are about to kill Han, though it was still not overly dramatic. I rather not have known before hand he was going to be in that situation to being with. 

I am pretty much at the point where as long as the movie is enjoyable to watch I don't slight it for a few shortcomings. In the end I could pop The Force Awakens into my blue-ray player and watch it a lot. 

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

You know Kevin Spacey is Keyser Sözé, but you still watch the movie again because it's really good. You know Andy crawls through a river of shit but you still watch the movie once or twice a year because it's really good. :-)

I think that is more about the execution of the movie that makes it so good that even the great endings of the movies still hold up. I do find it interesting that some movies can be watched over and over again without getting old. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! Laugh it up, fuzzball! 

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I don't mind spoilers too much. I was kinda pissed that this somewhat drunk guy at this bar was spouting off about Han on a bridge knowing he was going to die. I rather be shocked a bit knowing they are about to kill Han, though it was still not overly dramatic. I rather not have known before hand he was going to be in that situation to being with. 

I am pretty much at the point where as long as the movie is enjoyable to watch I don't slight it for a few shortcomings. In the end I could pop The Force Awakens into my blue-ray player and watch it a lot. 

I think that is more about the execution of the movie that makes it so good that even the great endings of the movies still hold up. I do find it interesting that some movies can be watched over and over again without getting old. 

You have spoilers and you have spoilers. Having read and listened to all the speculation, some of which was right -  I "knew" Solo was going to die, Rey was the "special" one, Luke was going to make a very brief appearance, probably at the end. But to me, those aren't spoiler spoilers as @iacas said, it's the how, not the what. That's why Rey force pulling the lightsaber to her and then duking it out with Kylo to me, is a major spoiler, 10 times bigger than Han dies. It doesn't help that Harrison Ford has made it very obvious he wanted to die. That moment was like Jason Day winning the PGA.

Another kind of major spoiler would be the introduction of the Millennium Falcon. "That's garbage." Boom. "The garbage will do." That moment was priceless. Yes, you probably guessed, well, what other ship is there, maybe it's the MF, but it happens so fast.

I'm very spoiler insensitive. I read spoiler reviews before watching 95% of the movies I watch, but there's a reserved segment that is special to me. That, I do not want spoiler spoilers. Minor spoilers are okay.

Steve

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'm very spoiler insensitive. I read spoiler reviews before watching 95% of the movies I watch, but there's a reserved segment that is special to me. That, I do not want spoiler spoilers. Minor spoilers are okay.

I guess it depends on the movie for me. Star Wars is so much watching it all unfold, and enjoying the character's ride along the way that knowing every twist and turn doesn't matter as much. 

I get as much enjoyment as how the movie unfolds rather than being surprised by it that I agree that certain spoilers just don't bug me. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I guess it depends on the movie for me. Star Wars is so much watching it all unfold, and enjoying the character's ride along the way that knowing every twist and turn doesn't matter as much. 

I get as much enjoyment as how the movie unfolds rather than being surprised by it that I agree that certain spoilers just don't bug me. 

I'm a little ambivalent about reading up on episode 8 now. Since the thinking is it has the potential to be different and great, I might shields up on any speculation and spoilers.

Half the fun of this movie was participating in the cultural conversation or rather listening. I think I listened to over 20 hours of podcasts just talking about TFA. 

Movies I've watched 2 or more times in the theaters:

• The Force Awakens
  • The Martian
  • Interstellar
  • Gravity

CXrROiQUEAA70Zd.jpg

Steve

Yub yub...

CX21JXzUEAEJGnX.jpgCX21JSFUoAAMPpw.jpg

Steve

Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday? Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday? Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday? Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday? Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday? Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday? Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday? Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday? Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday?

Check out this article.  We knew this had to be:

https://news.yahoo.com/video/jar-jar-supreme-leader-snoke-030000178.html

Jar Jar Binks is Snoke!!!!!!!!!!!  And dang is Seth Green's wife Clare Grant fine as all hell.

Note: This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!