IGNORED

The Force Awakens: Spoiler Thread

jbishop15
Note:Β This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

21 minutes ago, LagShaft said:

Did anyone else notice the blue bolt that resembled a light saber flying into the statue at the close of the first battle after Ren was looking at Fin? Β I couldn't tell what it was maybe justΒ a lense flare.

That was the blaster bolt that he had frozen, the one the pilot shot at him before being captured.Β 

It was somewhat interesting to see the force being used in different ways during the movie, for interrogation or holding people/objects in place (such as the aforementioned blaster bolt being frozen and Rey also being held in place). In the previous extended universe there were many people who had figured out different ways to use the force and it's kind of cool to see them bringing in some variety besides the force push, force lightning, throwing stuff around, and jumping higher that they portrayed people using the force for previously.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

I thought it was a little unbelievable at first that Rey beat Kylo in the forest. But:

• Kylo was injured by the crossbow shot from Chewbacca, which you saw from previous examples, packs a punch.
  • Kylo just killed his Dad. He is emotionally compromised - to take a phrase from Star Trek 2009.
  • Kylo is not fully trained. If this is a post jedi world, and Luke is the only one left, who did KyloΒ have to train against w/regards to the lightsaber? A drone orb? A drone orb is a lot different than a human, like the range is a lot different than an actual golf course.
  • Kylo is overconfident and pissed off.
  • Kylo doesn't want to kill her at first, but turn her, which allows her to stay alive, build confidence and then "let the light in" in that silent bit where she is realizing she is strong with the force when they are crossing lightsabers at the edge of the cliff.
  • Rey is handy with melee weapons - she put down 2 guys w/her staff to rescue BB-8 in the beginning.
  • Rey's scavenger skills, you saw her rappelling in the decaying star destroyer. Plus she's living a hard life on desert planet - she's in good shape.
  • Rey is pissed off Kylo killed Solo. You're a monster.

Imho, it was more unbelievable that Finn managed to even make contact withΒ Kylo. When Kylo dug into Finn with the hilt, that was cool. So the hilt did come into play. However, Finn got some practice w/the stormtrooper and is a trained soldier.

That Millennium Falcon chase in the beginning ("That's a piece of garbage!" - What an entrance!) was so good, when Rey tries to take off and does it clumsily and scrapes all the objects on the ground. When it's flying in the desert and flies so low and blows the sand around. That gyroscopic turn as it goes into the Star Destroyer. This movie is an automatic digital purchase. TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

That laser blast frozen by Kylo was very cool in 3D. Plus the Millennium Falcon chase. Plus the closeups and fly bys of the Star Destroyers.Β Saw it in 2D and 3D and the 3D isn't too bad. It doesn't make it worse although it's a little darker, but it's a decent 3D version.

In the trailers, ReyΒ says I'm no one. I don't remember her saying that. A couple of other parts in trailers that were not in the movie.

John Boyega's comedic timing is very good. He's got charisma. Daisy Ridley is perfect for her part. I hope they don't get typecasted and get to play a varietyΒ good roles in other genres.

JJ Abrams must be breathing a big sigh of relief, w/respect to audience reaction. On the business side - $125m Thurs-Fri. If ~$200m for the weekend, $300m is in the realm of possibility.

It's only a 1, 1.5 year wait to the next movie. I think the next movie has a lot of potential to break new ground. This version, which I loved, was very much a retread and I wonder what we'd have gottenΒ if Disney gave more time to the screenwriters to think up of something more fresh. Also afraid of getting saturated with Star Wars as there are offshoot movies coming up as well.

Luke SKYwalker - Han SoLO

KY LO

Still going to watch it a couple more times.

YouTube postgame discussions:

Β 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Good review with some interesting points on what didn't work.

Β 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Food for thought. Rey remotely slams the door shut on one of those ugly assΒ tentacled monsters to save Finn. Luke Skywalker hit a button to drop the door down to kill the giantΒ monster in Return of the Jedi. Coincidence? Reading too much into it?

That scene where Rey touched the light saber and saw all those visions.Β Luke touch R2D2, Kylo swing his lightsaber at someone and in the video belowΒ Abrams acknowledged Yoda and Obi Wan were talking and then went mum - Kathleen Kennedy, the producerΒ (I think that's her) sitting next to himΒ clearly mouthed a "no" - Abrams was probably asking if he should expand. That scene might beΒ key to figuring out what's going to happen next methinks.

JJ Abrams on Han Solo's death:

Β 

Anyone know where the complete interview is?

Steve

We went and saw it this afternoon, and I was completely blown away. Β So awesome! Β It remindedΒ me of seeing the original movie with it came out. Β I was a kid and hadn't really heard anything about the movie, just that it was good and we had to see it. Β So we went and my mind was blown. Β Same feelings today.
Β 
Yeah there are plot elements that seem unlikely or improbably, but you just have to give in to the awesomeness. Β Afterwards there was a nerdy guy complaining about this, that or the other, but ITS FRICKIN STAR WARS!!! Β Don't over think it, dude.
Β 
I'm verklempt.
Edited by davechen

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H,Β Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Β 

JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β 

I adored that movie. Teared up during the crawl when it hit me that it was a Star War movie. Everything was pitch perfect with the used, lived-in designs that mirrored the originals as opposed to the anodyne newness of the prequels. Story was paced great and it hit all the right notes.

Except Kylo Ren. Man, nothing about him feels right. He's such a whiny little brat. He's all the worst parts of prequel Anakin without the ability to back it up. His character didn't sit right with me.

Which leads into why I kinda hated Han's death. Aside from the fact that it wasn't a good death, I hated how they telegraphed it so far out. From the minute Kylo walked into the chamber, I knew without a doubt Han was going down (either by Kylo or slipping off of that walkway, haha; why does the Empire hate guardrails so much in its Death Stars?)

Wish they'd payed off Luke better. It was a real after thought.

But I'm nitpicking a bit. I loved it.

I also agree with Erik; I thought Rey was Luke's daughter the whole time. But from a standpoint of storytelling and maintaining symmetry, it would make sense if Rey and Ren were both Han and Leia's kids. Especially after the long motherly embrace Leia gave Rey at the end.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

2 minutes ago, dkolo said:

JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β JAR JAR BINKS WAS KEYSER SOZE THE WHOLE TIME.Β 

I adored that movie. Teared up during the crawl when it hit me that it was a Star War movie. Everything was pitch perfect with the used, lived-in designs that mirrored the originals as opposed to the anodyne newness of the prequels. Story was paced great and it hit all the right notes.

Except Kylo Ren. Man, nothing about him feels right. He's such a whiny little brat. He's all the worst parts of prequel Anakin without the ability to back it up. His character didn't sit right with me.

Which leads into why I kinda hated Han's death. Aside from the fact that it wasn't a good death, I hated how they telegraphed it so far out. From the minute Kylo walked into the chamber, I knew without a doubt Han was going down (either by Kylo or slipping off of that walkway, haha; why does the Empire hate guardrails so much in its Death Stars?)

Wish they'd payed off Luke better. It was a real after thought.

But I'm nitpicking a bit. I loved it.

I also agree with Erik; I thought Rey was Luke's daughter the whole time. But from a standpoint of storytelling and maintaining symmetry, it would make sense if Rey and Ren were both Han and Leia's kids. Especially after the long motherly embrace Leia gave Rey at the end.

CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ 

For me, Kylo Ren being a big baby was the best part about him. He's such a weenie, and a Vader wannabe, and that gives him a lot of complexity in my eyes.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 |Β TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood |Β Edel 3-PW | 52Β° | 60Β° | Blade Putter

1 minute ago, jbishop15 said:

CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ CHEWBACCA IS A SITH LORDΒ 

For me, Kylo Ren being a big baby was the best part about him. He's such a weenie, and a Vader wannabe, and that gives him a lot of complexity in my eyes.

ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β 

I get that, and it's a different kind of evil. But Anakin's whininess is how they explained him getting seduced by the Dark Side and getting him to turn. When he became Darth Vader, that turned on a dime into just badass evil. Maybe it's being played on an arc; after all, he's about to get his training finished. But while it was interesting in the early scenes when he's throw fits, in his interpersonal interactions, it came off so annoying.Β 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Just now, dkolo said:

ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β ROSEBUD WAS ANAKIN'S SLED AS A KID, YOU KNOW FOR ALL THE SNOW ON TATTOOINE.Β 

I get that, and it's a different kind of evil. But Anakin's whininess is how they explained him getting seduced by the Dark Side and getting him to turn. When he became Darth Vader, that turned on a dime into just badass evil. Maybe it's being played on an arc; after all, he's about to get his training finished. But while it was interesting in the early scenes when he's throw fits, in his interpersonal interactions, it came off so annoying.Β 

JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ 

I understand where you're coming from, with the whininess, but i like it, lol.Β 

Regardless, the movie was dope. I just wanted it to be competent, and for it to be actually really good and often great was so satisfying. I'm probably going to go see it again tomorrow.Β 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 |Β TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood |Β Edel 3-PW | 52Β° | 60Β° | Blade Putter

3 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ JJ ABRAMS IS GEORGE LUCAS'S CLONEΒ 

I understand where you're coming from, with the whininess, but i like it, lol.Β 

Regardless, the movie was dope. I just wanted it to be competent, and for it to be actually really good and often great was so satisfying. I'm probably going to go see it again tomorrow.Β 

I saw it in IMAX 3D and seeing the opening crawl in 3D was a game-changer. Changes that dynamic completely. It should be on the short list of shots for anyone trying to justifyΒ 3D from now on.

Dom's Sticks:

5 minutes ago, dkolo said:

I saw it in IMAX 3D and seeing the opening crawl in 3D was a game-changer. Changes that dynamic completely. It should be on the short list of shots for anyone trying to justifyΒ 3D from now on.

I did too. The IMAX was bigger for me than the 3D, but I wanted to experience the movie with all of the bells and whistles first.Β 

My dad and I saw the prequels in the theater together (he saw the original trilogy in theaters when he was in his twenties), and we saw this move together in the theater as well. I had a good experience seeing the prequels (looking back, obviously, I recognize the flaws of those films, but I don't think they'reΒ as bad as people believe), but to be able to see this movie with my dad, and it to be truly, truly good and great, was an experience I'll never forget.Β 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

On December 19, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Pretzel said:

That was the blaster bolt that he had frozen, the one the pilot shot at him before being captured.Β 

It was somewhat interesting to see the force being used in different ways during the movie, for interrogation or holding people/objects in place (such as the aforementioned blaster bolt being frozen and Rey also being held in place). In the previous extended universe there were many people who had figured out different ways to use the force and it's kind of cool to see them bringing in some variety besides the force push, force lightning, throwing stuff around, and jumping higher that they portrayed people using the force for previously.

That makes sense I was hoping to see it again last night but ended up not being able to go. Β 

Ren was really my only problem with the show, the daddy didn't love me enough thing didn't do it for me and I was hoping for a little bit more of a villain that I could be sympathetic to but looking back on the original Star Wars as it was released before the prequels they didn't do much to develop the character of Darth Vader. Β He was simply the embodiment of evil. But he was far more sinister and calculating to me. Β I suppose that since Ren's grand father was a psychopathic scizo it would make sense for him to have some related personality disorders. I guess it's not just the Force that runs strong in their family lol. But I did really enjoy the movie and I am looking forward to the next one.Β 

31 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

I did too. The IMAX was bigger for me than the 3D, but I wanted to experience the movie with all of the bells and whistles first.Β 

My dad and I saw the prequels in the theater together (he saw the original trilogy in theaters when he was in his twenties), and we saw this move together in the theater as well. I had a good experience seeing the prequels (looking back, obviously, I recognize the flaws of those films, but I don't think they'reΒ as bad as people believe), but to be able to see this movie with my dad, and it to be truly, truly good and great, was an experience I'll never forget.Β 

That's really cool I hope my kids look back on some of these things the same way. Β We enjoyed the prequels a lotΒ more than the critics also. Β This one just had a little bit different feel for me but that's not a bad thing.

Edited by LagShaft

1 hour ago, LagShaft said:

That makes sense I was hoping to see it again last night but ended up not being able to go. Β 

Ren was really my only problem with the show, the daddy didn't love me enough thing didn't do it for me and I was hoping for a little bit more of a villain that I could be sympathetic to but looking back on the original Star Wars as it was released before the prequels they didn't do much to develop the character of Darth Vader. Β He was simply the embodiment of evil. But he was far more sinister and calculating to me. Β I suppose that since Ren's grand father was a psychopathic scizo it would make sense for him to have some related personality disorders. I guess it's not just the Force that runs strong in their family lol. But I did really enjoy the movie and I am looking forward to the next one.Β 

That's really cool I hope my kids look back on some of these things the same way. Β We enjoyed the prequels a lotΒ more than the critics also. Β This one just had a little bit different feel for me but that's not a bad thing.

SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OUT OF CLONES!Β 

Β 

It sounds like evil skips a generation alternating with heroism. So someone needs to get Kylo laid and then sterilize the kids, haha.

Also, I think if the Rebellion blows up one more Death Star, they get a free six inch sub at Subway.

Dom's Sticks:

I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β I got a baaaaaad feeling about this.... Β 

A whole bunch of interesting little tidbits about the movie. Abrams took an R2-D2 prototypeΒ a little further to come up with BB-8 - the sketch is shown. Obi Wan from the prequels was the voice you heard during the force vision.

This is the year of the self-reliant, super competent, strong willed, eye on the ball alwaysΒ female action heroine - the agent saving Ethan Hawke's life multiple timesΒ in Mission Impossible, Mad Max's Furiosa and now The Force Awakens Rey to finish the trinity and it looks like this is just the start.

Β 

Steve

12 hours ago, LagShaft said:

How do you expect the Sith Lords to pick their successors? They have to isolate emotionally unstable Jedi ;)Β 

You could get lucky and just get the sociopath that is Emperor Palpatine.Β 

These movies seemed to be some sort of compromise between the books and what JJ and the others wanted to do. They already have these great characters to build from. So it makes sense to go with their kids. The books did that as well.Β 

As I made the point to a friend of mine yesterday. Β Who wants to try to live up to the books?Β If JJ was forced to make a movie off the book material then he would have to live up those books. It would severely limit his ability to be creative because deviating from the books in any way would bring on backlash. I think he did a good job picking a timeframe to start the movie and mixing in some aspects of the books, but also creating a foundation for his own vision of what he sees going forward.Β 

I think this movie was much more like Episode 4 than anything else. It had a lot of aspects of Episode 4, but as with Episode 4 it set the foundation for future movies.Β 

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

This is the year of the self-reliant, super competent, strong willed, eye on the ball alwaysΒ female action heroine - the agent saving Ethan Hawke's life multiple timesΒ in Mission Impossible, Mad Max's Furiosa and now The Force Awakens Rey to finish the trinity and it looks like this is just the start.

Β 

I like that they made the lead role a female. I always thought the Jedi Order missed out on having a female being one of the main Jedi in the stories.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

On December 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM, saevel25 said:

I think this movie was much more like Episode 4 than anything else. It had a lot of aspects of Episode 4, but as with Episode 4 it set the foundation for future movies.Β 

Β 

It was almost a one for one correspondence with that movie. It hit virtually all the same beats. In retrospect, it's kinda crazy that they just made that movie again.Β 

Dom's Sticks:

There's a lot of potential to break new ground in the coming movies. Rian Johnson's last two movies - Brick (birdie) and Looper (birdie), were well written and he's already written the next two (wonder what kind of security is involved with those scripts?)Β Hope to see more of Luke - his Star Wars acting wasn't the greatest then but he's done a lot of voice acting since. TFA is very rewatchable, will be fun to see screen stillsΒ to see if one can open more magic boxes.

Just don't tell Carrie Fisher the whole story. She spilled the beans to Graham Norton a year before TFA was released.

Β 

Steve

Finally saw the movie and get to post in this thread!Β :banana:

While I was a little sad about Han's death, it does make a lot of sense for it to happen. Han dying helps move the story/franchise forward. It also gives him more of a "purpose" to be in the movie. It's cool to see him doing his thing but there's only so much you can do with him in terms of development if he's going to get so much screen time.Β Lea and Luke can work fine as supporting characters but Han isΒ different.Β It'dΒ be difficultΒ to introduce a new generation of characters and make it "their own" while keeping Han around.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Note:Β This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!