IGNORED

Best Municipals?

Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

River Cut in Springfield mo. The best municipal I have played is also the #1 by golf digest in Missouri. Now its nice but no where near the quality of the others ive seen posted. Wow.

Originally Posted by castlerockmo

River Cut in Springfield mo. The best municipal I have played is also the #1 by golf digest in Missouri. Now its nice but no where near the quality of the others ive seen posted. Wow.

I've played River Cut and will agree that it's one of the best Munis I've played (at least among the ones that don't host Majors).  Chambers Bay is a little bit of a stretch as a Muni--it's basically a marketing campaign, as they built a "city" course specifically to host USGA Championships, and it has caddies.

No one has mentioned Memorial Park in Houston.  Great course, and truly a "city" course.  It's in the middle of a very large city park, has hosted numerous pro events (and still hosts big amateur tournaments).  The tennis complex in the park also hosts a pro tournament.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Portland, OR has a couple of great munis: Eastmoreland, an H. Chandler Egan design. Old style Parkland course. Hosted the Publinx back in 1990. Heron Lakes is a 36 hole RTJ II layout. Very different 18s.

Here's the Golf Digest best muni list from a few years ago: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-courses/2009-08/bestmunys_in50states

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Another vote for Bethpage. You've got it all here. 5 courses of all abilities. I play there at least once a week. Love it.

In the Palm Beach area, I really like Okeeheelee Park. Amazing greens for a muni!

Locally there are two for me... SilverRock Resort in La Quinta (former home of the Bob Hope Classic) and Desert Willow (which has 2 great 18 hole courses).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Our golf course in Downey California is undergoing extensive renovations to become the best municipal in the area. We are excited to take on the job of restoring the course to its full potential. If you're interested, visit the following links for pictures and more information on our upcoming renovations:
http://www.losamigosgc.com/course-improvement-updates/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.470123359714491.105024.438744362852391&type; =3
Happy golfing!
Los Amigos Golf Course
7295 Quill Drive
Downey, CA 90242
P: 562-923-9696
www.losamigosgc.com

• 1 month later...

Best muni in San Antonio, Brackenridge Park Golf Course. 6200 yards, par 71, squared off greens, great fun, would love to get out there with persimmon clubs.

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by jamo

Here's the Golf Digest best muni list from a few years ago: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-courses/2009-08/bestmunys_in50states

Have played two of those in the last year.

Hulman Links in Indiana was in terrible shape. I think the combination of two hot, dry summers and an under funded small-town maintenance budget took a big toll.  I'd definately play it again for the $20ish they charge but would be a stretch for it to make any best in state lists in its current condition.

Played Superior National in Minnesota last fall.  The views of the fall colors in the national forest and the views of Lake Superior were awesome.  Course was also in great shape.  Won't say it is a great design but it was an absolute pleasure to play. Only real complaint is that the lay out is almost impossible to walk and the cart does take away from the northwoods experience.

If my work travels will allow hope to play either Landsmeer in Iowa or Glacier Wood in WI this summer. Good muni golf in small communities is something I seek out every chance I get.  The atmosphere just suits me.

San Antonio has some great muni courses. Brackenridge is where Souchak broke the scoring record - and site of the Texas Open for many years.  Cedar Creek, another very good course. There are so many to list, but SA was one of my favorite places to live not only because of the culture, pretty women, Spurs, but because of the great golf there.

Sorry, but that list is completely wrong.  Denver's city park is flat boring course.  If you really want a good muni course in Colorado, there are tons of courses owned and operated by city of Aurora (Saddleback, Murphy Creek), city of Golden (Fossil Trace) and Lakewood (Fox Hollow) that have fantastic views and layouts.

Originally Posted by jamo

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 2 months later...

Haven't played it since the 1980s, but Kickingbird Golf Course in Edmond, OK, was superb. Several tough holes, but most had a safety-valve area in case you wanted to play for bogie.

At the time, it was in better shape than some of the country clubs in the OKC area.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

The munis here in Columbus, OH are nice.  I moved here about a year ago and theyre always in great shape and very affordable.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!