IGNORED

Train Your Aim by David Keller Member Review Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Product Name: "Train Your Aim" by David Keller
Product Type: Putting Training Aid
Product Website: http://www.trainyouraim.com
Cost: $10
Reviewers: @bmartin461, @Club Rat, @TN94z, myself

This discussion thread is for Members to share their unboxing, initial and ongoing impressions, and to answer questions by others for "Train Your Aim," a putting training aid by David Keller.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

David, thank you for providing the Train Your Aim putting training aid to TST and good luck with sales.

The package arrived today to my amazement, wasn't expecting delivery until next week. Below are my first initial thoughts about TYA.

The TYA is small and compact and a simple product to use. Looks like it is made of plastic and snaps onto the shaft. It is easy to adjust to the desired alignment position for the user and gives instant visual feedback to where the putter is aimed. This item provides a user two distinctive drills. It points to the target and provides a visual of the putting stroke path. While making a pendulum stroke, I could watch the pointers path and see if I had any motions that rotated the club face. I'm guessing the benefit of this product is primarily to practice the short putts with the aid of the pointer to the hole. I'll be practicing with the TYA next week and posting more thoughts and comments. One feature which users will like, it's an item a golfer could use before every round. I'm sure when my golf buddies notice I start draining more putts, I'll be placing orders for them. Of course they will get the ol buddy deal at $19.95

P1010015.thumb.JPG.f81ef66a7201f6a21a8b6P1010013.thumb.JPG.0d494005fb0d0239125b2P1010014.thumb.JPG.1a1f4a82186705b3b1b99

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

4 hours ago, Club Rat said:

The TYA is small and compact and a simple product to use. Looks like it is made of plastic and snaps onto the shaft. It is easy to adjust to the desired alignment position for the user and gives instant visual feedback to where the putter is aimed. This item provides a user two distinctive drills. It points to the target and provides a visual of the putting stroke path.

Just wondering if it really gives significant improvement in alignment, as it seems to me that it is simply exaggerating the normal alignment markings found on most putter club heads. I'd think that you would tend to focus on that large orange arrow while practicing, and then have to adjust back to looking at your putter head while playing. 

Chris.:roll:

7 hours ago, chris3putt said:

Just wondering if it really gives significant improvement in alignment

Most definitely on short putts.

7 hours ago, chris3putt said:

I'd think that you would tend to focus on that large orange arrow while practicing

Part of the benefit of using a training aid is the visual feedback. Last night while watching Speith, the announcers commented about how he looks at the hole on short putts. I may try this approach while using the TYA. 

8 hours ago, chris3putt said:

seems to me that it is simply exaggerating the normal alignment markings found on most putter club heads.

Tape a pencil to the top of your putter over the alignment marks. Would the extension of using a pointing aid be better than only using the marks on top of a putter? One of the reasons I use the Backstryke putter is the long length of the alignment marks. I've suggested to many friends who use the "two ball" putters to draw a line through the top of the two round circles as an alignment aid.

The TYA is an aid to help or check a players position aim at a target/hole. I found it gives a good visual of my stroke, noting if I'm having any excess motion.

The only thought I would like better in an alignment device, would be having the pointer mounted directly over the top of the putter. Having the pointer mounted on the shaft, gives a different perspective, I feel like I'm slightly changing my setup to have a view over the top/center of the pointer.

Received mine last week, looks very clean and simple i will be putting it through the paces this winter. this might be my break through this season.

Titleist 915D2 Aldila Rogue black stiff
Titleist 913 f 15° Diamana stiff
Titleist 913 f 19 Diamana stiff
Titleist AP2 714 4-pw dg s300
Vokey sm5 56 m grind
Vokey sm5 60 m grind

putter odyssey collection 6m milled 34

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, mlb12 said:

Received mine last week, looks very clean and simple i will be putting it through the paces this winter. this might be my break through this season.

You aren't officially one of the Member Reviewers for this product, but you're more than welcome to participate as if you were! Cool beans @mlb12.

And bring yours out to Chautauqua GC next summer! :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Will do, we've met i don't think you remember me @ the learning center, i  was with Troy doing a lesson.

Vokey sm5 56 m grind
Vokey sm5 60 m grind

• Administrator

I'll get better photos than these before I write up my review, but here are some quick ones showing the product packaging and the product in use.

This product does what it purports to do, and does it inexpensively. A few things of note:

1. The cross pieces don't always seem to be 90°. Sometimes they seem to be off by a few degrees. I'm particularly sensitive to this, I should add, but… it's disconcerting. The brightness of both means you can't ignore both. The plastic is soft enough to expand to clip onto the shaft, but also then soft enough to bend a little, too.
  2. Unlike some other similar products, the TYA has bright cross and extension pieces. This means that you could remove the extension or pointer piece, and just use the part that clips to the shaft as an alignment aid, or for help seeing the face rotation in the backswing. That it's bright also has the downside of distracting you if you want to look more at the putter and just use the pointer piece for alignment.
  3. The product does cost only $9.99, so it's got that going for it. Most of the other products cost quite a bit more.

tya1.thumb.jpg.3f654a04c5a1f7c3ff82f6884tya2.thumb.jpg.f7458f9d040293f6a7107c996tya3.thumb.jpg.0f6c41426f79a43d03a8b1669tya4.thumb.jpg.66c9dbf4db0032aa9690c8b83

43 minutes ago, iacas said:

This means that you could remove the extension or pointer piece

Thanks for informing the pointer is adjustable, I assumed the pointer was a fixed position construction.

Note, product lacks detailed instructions about adjustments.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

extension pieces

Just a thought, another extension to lower the crosshair closer to the ball would be beneficial to users.

Instructions.JPG.2c26ba7611af9edc54599b6

6 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Thanks for informing the pointer is adjustable, I assumed the pointer was a fixed position construction.

Note, product lacks detailed instructions about adjustments.

It's funny, my review was going to include a suggestion to make the pointer adjustable, never thought to try to move it.  As you mention above, the instructions leave something to be desired.  I am planning to visit the website to see what it offers relative to using the product.

Overall, I found it to be a solid $10 product, the packaging is good and the reusable clam shell is a good size to put in the golf bag.

IMG_3843.thumb.JPG.b91f6e1389e052f7500ef

I agree with @iacas that is has a bit too much give for my liking, especially if you don't keep it in the plastic it came in.  It appears like it could easily warp with pressure or heat.

569419c882c4e_IMG_3845(Small).JPG.5a4585

A few images for the family room putting green:

569419c80216b_IMG_3847(Small).JPG.7ec7e8569419c9bfb7b_IMG_3846(Small).JPG.29de09

Full review pending after a few practice sessions and website discovery.

- Brad

The Train Your Aim putting aid by David Keller arrived on Saturday which I was very impressed with. The shipping time gets a definite thumbs up from me.

569426aad0ab6_TYAPackaging.thumb.jpeg.ca

My initial thoughts upon first opening were that the TYA aid was compact and should fit in my bag with no issues. This is another thumbs up as it will be very easy to carry at all times. 

569426b6b4057_TYAInstructions.thumb.jpeg

The instructions on the back of the package were also very simple to follow, but did not mention that the pointer was adjustable. Other than that detail, using the aid should be pretty simple as well. 

569426c637fd2_TYARearView.thumb.jpeg.9e5

569426d010ffd_TYATopView.thumb.jpeg.b474

Installation on the putter is self explanatory even without the instructions. I actually like the bright orange color because it stands out and allows you to easily focus on the pointer and the face angle. One of the immediate things I noticed was how easy it was to see what your club face is doing.

So far I like it and the 9.99 price tag. Once the weather breaks and I can take it to the practice green, I will make a final opinion on the TYA and update.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

My first initial thoughts the TYA may be a challenge to use with my Odyssey Backstryke Sabertooth Putter due to shaft position centered at the back of the putter. The pointer (looked fixed when I first received it) but it adjusts and most likely could be used in a manner for any style putter. As mentioned above, placement lower - closer to the ball would be an added benefit. It is small enough to easily fit in the golf bag to have available and use before a round of golf. I plan to create a routine where I will use the TYA, about a dozen short putts, then remove and roll another dozen. Time will tell if the TYA does improve my short putt skills, a priority I must improve to lower my scores as I will usually miss a few most rounds.

At the low price of $9.99 golfers would most likely give this item a try.

backstryke_saber_med.jpg.f7e226310ee5abe

The only changes i would have made was color choice. I would have made the Aim line in white and the alignment line in black so show some contrast , I emailed Dave and told him that overall it's a simple cost effective aid. What-ever helps me get the ball in the hole i'm good with....

6m1.JPG

Vokey sm5 56 m grind
Vokey sm5 60 m grind

That might not be a bad idea. It doesn't bother me that they are the same color though. But I haven't had a chance to get it outside on a practice green yet either

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Train Your Aim would like to thank everyone for their input into this forum and is very excited to hear your thoughts.   We wanted to add a couple of comments to the forum in relation to some thoughts that have already been aired.  In particular, there are a couple of comments about the instructions which we appreciate....the whole concept was to be simple and easy to use and, therefore, the instructions were kept to a minimum.  In relation to the adjustable pointer, the instructions on the back of the packet do state that the player should "adjust the pointer over the ball", alluding to the fact it is adjustable but we also understand that there could be more information than provided.  The clip that attaches to the shaft is set an angle (approx 20 degrees) to offset the angle of a putter shaft.  If you are left handed all you need do is remove the pointer and turn it around; slide it back on and you are ready to go.  Another aspect of the pointer is that by being adjustable it will work with all putter designs including center shafted, "goose" neck and offset.

Train Your Aim is made from a flexible plastic that returns to shape.  The manufacturer recommended we use this plastic for that very purpose.  Throw it in your bag, pocket and it will not lose shape.  

In response to Club Rat and the Odyssey putter; we would advise that you remove the pointer and put it back on as though you are a left-hander.  Turn the device upside down and clip onto the putter shaft.  The set angle on the clip shall allow you to use the training aid without affecting the ball.  We were unable to find the said putter but have added some photos to demonstrate how Train Your Aim can be used with such shafts.  Reverse the pointer as though you are a left hander and invert the clip onto the shaft.  It gives a pretty good angle or clip TYA higher up the shaft and adjust the pointer towards the end of the clip.

We had thoughts about the color too.  TYA was manufactured in orange to make, what we thought, would be easier to see where the putter is facing at address and through the stroke, especially at impact.  However, we understand that this may not work for everyone and very much like the suggestion of 'mlb12' that a two tone training aid would work very well.

Attached are photographs that show how adjustable/flexible Train Your Aim is with offset, center and "goose" neck shafts.  We hope these help.

Also, Train Your Aim is a great tool for children, junior and all beginners.  So many new comers have difficulty aligning their club face so this is a very easy way to assist them.

Once again....Thank You all for this invaluable opportunity to receive reviews and opinions about TYA from other golfers.

image 3.JPG

image1 (1).JPG

image1.JPG

image2 (1).JPG

image2.JPG

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:21 PM, Train Your Aim said:

In response to Club Rat and the Odyssey putter; we would advise that you remove the pointer and put it back on as though you are a left-hander.

Thank you for the suggestion and thanks for joining this discussion.

Also, Train Your Aim is a great tool for children, junior and all beginners.  So many new comers have difficulty aligning their club face so this is a very easy way to assist them.

Very good point, my exact thoughts in my initial post after receiving the TYA.

I went to you web site earlier this week and watched the "Good Morning Arizona" video clip. That was a riot, laughed by butt off watching the reporters putt.

I've been practicing my putting indoors this past week (very cold all week) but was able to play the past two days. Yesterday I noticed in just the short time of use, I felt like my aim was better with the putter face squared towards the target . Todays round I felt like not only was my aim better, but my putting stroke is also benefitting.

In just the brief time of use, I'm impressed with the quick results that have occurred. Good putting requires proper Aim, a good stroke and confidence. Practice with the TYA, will boost a golfers confidence when they start making more of the short putts.

it will not lose shape?

Is the plastic subjective to heat, any concerns to exposure to direct sunlight?  Many golfers leave their clubs in their trunk, which is bad on epoxies.

Practice this morning and utilizing video to review is definitely helping my play with the flat stick. I'm glad I've had this opportunity to use and review the TYA.

Concentrating on the benefits of TYA and generating ideas to describe my thoughts for my review has been very beneficial on my practice habits. I now feel these new ideas are important to me to improve my basic putting skills. Video is a great tool, it's time consuming and it is beneficial.

On 1/16/2016 at 9:12 PM, Club Rat said:

Thank you for the suggestion and thanks for joining this discussion.

Very good point, my exact thoughts in my initial post after receiving the TYA.

I went to you web site earlier this week and watched the "Good Morning Arizona" video clip. That was a riot, laughed by butt off watching the reporters putt.

I've been practicing my putting indoors this past week (very cold all week) but was able to play the past two days. Yesterday I noticed in just the short time of use, I felt like my aim was better with the putter face squared towards the target . Todays round I felt like not only was my aim better, but my putting stroke is also benefitting.

In just the brief time of use, I'm impressed with the quick results that have occurred. Good putting requires proper Aim, a good stroke and confidence. Practice with the TYA, will boost a golfers confidence when they start making more of the short putts.

Is the plastic subjective to heat, any concerns to exposure to direct sunlight?  Many golfers leave their clubs in their trunk, which is bad on epoxies.

Thanks for sharing the video Club Rat (love that putting mat) and all the compliments from everyone.  in answer to the question 'does it lose shape?".....Train Your Aim says "No".  I live in Arizona and temps rise to over 110 in the summer, plus a lot more in the car.  I have left the training aid in the golf bag in the trunk and on back seat of the car on numerous occasions during the summer and I have found it not lose shape.  Hope that helps.

Note: This thread is 3004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!