Jump to content
IGNORED

Spieth, McIlroy & Fowler... Oh My


Note: This thread is 1973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

And the opposite for me.  The first time I went to New York and had to wait until 1pm to watch the first football games, I'm like ... what the heck do you people do all morning?!?!?! :-P

Mornings aren't the problem in NYC. It's the night games! Monday night games that don't start until 9:30 PM make Tuesdays rough. Not to mention NBA playoff games that start at 10:30 PM!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Yeah, how do u tailgate at 6am?

Duh ... Just add eggs or sausage to whatever else you were planning on eating, and Drink bloody Mary's and mimosas instead of g&ts or rum/cokes.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rickie has A LOT more to prove before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as the big boys. Step 1 is he needs to win a major. Step 2 then is winning with consistency. Achieve those two things and then we'll talk. Until then he's a second tier player paired with the stars of the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Rickie has A LOT more to prove before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as the big boys. Step 1 is he needs to win a major. Step 2 then is winning with consistency. Achieve those two things and then we'll talk. Until then he's a second tier player paired with the stars of the game.

Granted, he hasn't won a major but he's 6 in the world (5 last week).  I think it's fair to mention him with the big boys.  I'll take him over Dufner, who does have a major.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Gunther said:

Granted, he hasn't won a major but he's 6 in the world (5 last week).  I think it's fair to mention him with the big boys.  I'll take him over Dufner, who does have a major.

Consistency can get you a lot of world ranking points. Fowlers a consistent top-5 guy. But wins and majors still lack on his resume and you just can't compare him with Spieth/mcilroy right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
15 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

And the opposite for me.  The first time I went to New York and had to wait until 1pm to watch the first football games, I'm like ... what the heck do you people do all morning?!?!?! :-P

Watching television, live? What the hell is that? Oh, my eyes are bleeding! :-D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The big three (at least in this thread) are struggling a bit due to the weather in Abu Dhabi. Rickie seems to be hanging tough. I wouldn't count any of these three out just yet. However, Spieth given his recent history, seems to be the one that could make a Saturday/Sunday charge to get back into contention. 

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14625611/jordan-spieth-rory-mcilroy-drop-andy-sullivan-leads-suspended-abu-dhabi

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Well, Well..... as if this post was somewhat serendipitous.  I have to admit, I was quite surprised that Fowler was the one to rise out of this star-studded field to win the tournament. Fowler moves to #4 in the world after this win. Even a strong performance (Top 5) at the Masters, and we might have to extend the party list to the "Big 4".... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, CalcuttaLive said:

Well, Well, Well..... as if this post was somewhat serendipitous.  I have to admit, I was quite surprised that Fowler was the one to rise out of this star-studded field to win the tournament. Fowler moves to #4 in the world after this win. Even a strong performance (Top 5) at the Masters, and we might have to extend the party list to the "Big 4".... 

I think Fowler's going to have a year like Jason Day last year. Of course, I predicted that last year and the year before and he let me down, so seeing in believing. But he's definitely overdue. He'll be on the Olympics team in August.

That being said, I have the same opinion with the term "Big 4" as I did "Big 5" back 10 years ago. Fowler has a long way to go to be compared to McIlroy and Spieth, just like I said 10 years ago all those 4 other guys had a long way to be compared to Tiger. Rickie needs a major this year and he needs to win with consistency. That's the big separation between Jordan/Rory and Rickie. As for Jason, he needs to follow up this year with last year.

But today was a good start for Rickie. His girlfriend will give him some lovin' tonight. Ugh..lucky bastard. Motivation, though. Time to go out to golf range in the 30-degree Florida weather to try and be like Rickie so I can get a girl like his.

Edited by ChrisP
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I think Fowler's going to have a year like Jason Day last year. Of course, I predicted that last year and the year before and he let me down, so seeing in believing. But he's definitely overdue. He'll be on the Olympics team in August.

If he does he would need to improve his strokes gained by one full stroke over last year to compete where Jason Day had his game at. His game has been improving. I don't see him dominating like Day did at the end of last year. I'm not sure it's in Rickie's game. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world - Palm Springs - Jason Duffner picks up his 4th win in a playoff.

 

1. Jason Dufner’s ball-striking ability is no secret, but how about this stat? Dufner made birdie on 28 of the 56 par-4s or par-5s he played this week. That’s 50 percent. He’s just the third winner since 1980 to make birdie or better on at least half of his par-4s and par-5s.

2. Dufner made a career-best 30 birdies at the CareerBuilder. His previous best was 27, which he had done three times, all at the CareerBuilder. He didn’t finish better than T18 in any of those three years, though.

3. Dufner now has a streak of 18 consecutive rounds of par or better, dating back to the CIMB Classic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Rickie Fowler is playing the best golf of his life but that doesn't mean golf has a 'Big 4'

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2016/1/26/10832736/world-golf-rankings-rickie-fowler-jordan-spieth-rory-mcilroy

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...