IGNORED

2016 TST Initiative: Forward Tees Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 2504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DutchLeon said:

That was me co-hosting! Had a great day on the course! Very fun way to play and amazing to be out on the course again.

I transformed one of my old prosthetic sockets into the cup we were playing for.

Awesome! I've given you the award as well!

The end of summer is going to be here before you know it!

Who else is going to host a Forward Tees tournament?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe slightly off-topic, and possibly not what iacas is looking for, but every year, my course holds a two day "Easy-Hard" tournament where we play from the forward tees the first day to tame pin positions and follow it up the second day with playing from the back tees to nasty pin placements.  It is a bunch of fun.  Kind of rewards players who can both score well, and grind.  Combined score for the two days is counted in either gross or handicapped divisions.  Might be a decent idea for clubs where members don't want to strictly play a "forward tee" event.

John

Is anyone doing this in Mass?  I would like to play if they are.

I would try to setup something but I have a hard enough time trying to get a foursome together.  Just about everyone I know doesn't play golf and they don't have any desire to try it.

** I know, I need new friends!!!**

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• 1 month later...

Twice a year (Spring & Fall) I organize a neighborhood scramble to build community rapport. We have a pretty good turn out for our small community and it's always a lot fun. It has brought many people back to our game that wandered from it in years past. This has sparked a few people to start ayimg regularly together on a weekly basis. Moving forward with future tournaments, I was wondering if you'd reconsider including scrambles given the low numbers of recipients.

As an aside, I notice you've been clear that this has been for "this year" as mentioned in the award description several times, but was hoping you'd extend this to 2017...I think I just met a golf pro who sets up tournaments at a local course who may consider this but I doubt it'll get on the 2016calendar.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 2 months later...

Im doing it !!!!Been thinking about it anyway for a while for confidence reasons alone. Plus ive been wanting to focus on course management and shaving strokes by being in better position. What a great incentive to try it. Thanks. Let you know Monday how it turned out. Im gonna play 3 or 4 rounds and see how i feel, haha.  Thanks for the kick in the a$$ !!!!!! 

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

• iacas unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • Administrator

I'm disappointed in the few people who chose to do this. Y'all don't know what you're missing out on.

That said, I'll revise the challenge for 2017 to make it more of an individual thing, as I can appreciate the difficulty in convincing a bunch of people to play up.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm disappointed in the few people who chose to do this. Y'all don't know what you're missing out on.

That said, I'll revise the challenge for 2017 to make it more of an individual thing, as I can appreciate the difficulty in convincing a bunch of people to play up.

I did this on an individual basis several times, but will shoot to coordinate with my local pro to set something up in 2017. I was hoping you would extend it to next year

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:15 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

We also could run a virtual tournament with TST.  Designate a week (or 2) in May or June where we go out and play an 18 hole round from the most forward rated men's or women's tees and report our results (Course Name, Yardage, Rating, Slope, Gross Score, Net Score).  No tangible prize awarded but maybe a 1st Annual "Go Low" Tournament Winner "achievement."

I don't have GAME Golf, but I think this is certainly doable

-Jonny

• 4 months later...

One of my regular groups takes one weekend to play the "other" tees at our club, one day moving forward to the white tees, the next day back to the tips, the gold tees.  For whatever reason, I hadn't made it for the white tee rounds until today.  I had a blast!  Our regular tees run about 6250 yards, and rate at 72.0/135, the whites are about 5650, 68.4/128.  I had to think my way around tee shots, taking less than driver 5 times where I'd otherwise use it.  I really hit the ball well, only a couple of hiccups (two 3-putts, one of which was "unforced", and a brain-dead triple) but still shot 72.  It doesn't hurt to start birdie-birdie-eagle, with nothing longer than 4 feet.  Its a fun change of pace, I'll be doing it again soon.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 11/23/2016 at 0:28 PM, iacas said:

Did you end up revising the challenge?  I remember enjoying it a few years ago when you asked a bunch of us to play on 9/18 from forward.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Did you end up revising the challenge?  I remember enjoying it a few years ago when you asked a bunch of us to play on 9/18 from forward.  

No, I forgot about it, or something. It's something I still encourage, as you know, in LSW.

Note: This thread is 2504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!