IGNORED

Geography Challenge (sorta)

RandallT
Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8192. Totally blew the first question mistaking SE Asia with Central America, but  went on a good run after the blunder.

Firefox_Screenshot_2016-02-26T00-38-07.8

6 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

These are crazy - I just keep seeing open fields of nearly nothing and play the odds and guess Russia.  I managed to get close-ish on 3/5 the second time I played and tallied 9k points.  That was including mistaking northern Australia for central Africa and getting ZERO for it. :P

Oh wow, didn't even realize you could zoom in on the map.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

8192. Totally blew the first question mistaking SE Asia with Central America, but  went on a good run after the blunder.

Firefox_Screenshot_2016-02-26T00-38-07.8

Oh wow, didn't even realize you could zoom in on the map.

It's just like Google Maps, you can turn, move and zoom in. I worked on this piecemeal throughout the day. It's really just a guessing game if you do it by country or world. Identifying 200 year old churches, unique looking university buildings, a highly trafficked metro area, bridges - that's much more fair. For SF, it helped I recognized the GGB, USF and the San Francisco Chronicle building and downtown SF.

56cfa07b53440_ScreenShot2016-02-25at2.11

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

I got 8853 in the world challenge. Three really close (one was 122 miles, another like 166). They were just cornfields and stuff - not buildings, so that was pretty good. Two were way off.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just got 4998 in one turn. And then 4776.

56cfacdbb0534_ScreenShot2016-02-25at8.3856cfacde5fbdd_ScreenShot2016-02-25at8.3856cfad9408a6b_ScreenShot2016-02-25at8.42

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Rocked that one ;) 

Capture.thumb.JPG.339fd94a259b0b9bfc3cd7

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 2/25/2016 at 10:05 AM, nevets88 said:

Do what you know.

56cf424e6c5f4_ScreenShot2016-02-25at1.04

Got over 24,900 once over the weekend on the NYC map, and also just got this on the famous places map:

image.jpeg

Got the Space Needle, Empire State Building, Macchu Pichu, Eiffel Tower and then a cathedral with a bus parked in front with "Istanbul" painted on the side in giant letters.

Usually I'm getting <10k on the famous places map because it's 2 places I know (like WTC and Venice or something) and then 3 variations of some random chateau in France or cathedral or castle somewhere in Europe. :P

• 4 weeks later...

7244 on mine. My sister and I played this probably a couple of years ago together. It's basically the luck of being dropped near a sign that gives you a clue, more than anything. Heck, in many respects, I would say geography isn't a big deal for being good at this. Luck is obviously the biggest factor. Beyond that, a rudimentary knowledge of foreign languages can help a lot, as can minor cultural knowledge, such as building structures or road laws (left/right side of the road for driving).

That said, if you're REALLY good at geography, it's the skill I'd expect to help most in a large sample where you don't surf the roadways for an hour with each picture. Knowing things like how hilly a terrain or what kind of makeshift roadways you'll find in an area (such as the red clay-looking ones I saw in my second image) would be quite helpful.

Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!