IGNORED

Donald Trump Golf Swing Analysis - a fair and balanced no PC look

david_wedzik
Note: This thread is 2965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 hours ago, david_wedzik said:

Fun video I did yesterday analyzing Donald Trump's golf swing. You may even find some political references here and there :whistle:.

Anyway... enjoy it for what it is, don't turn this into anything political, and feel free to share! Hopefully The Donald himself sees it at some point!

Abridged version: 

Full Version: 

Excellent Dave. Thanks for posting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WALLS! :-D

But seriously, I like his trigger to start the swing. No, it's not pretty, but he's going after it athletically, keeps the backswing tight, finishes well.

I wonder if Mario gave him a few tips. It's not bad. I still doubt 285 yards under normal conditions.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Very interesting!  You pick up on a few things that I'm not sure I've heard noted much in other swing analyses I've seen here at TST:

1. The slight hand shift at the start of the downswing. 
  2. Left forearm rotation (resisting rotating too early) during the downswing.
  3. His elbow positions. I'm not sure I grasp what you mean by his elbow positions being good on the downswing, as you move on quickly to another point.

But great video. Good fun and nicely done with just the right pinch of political double meanings.

For what it's worth, in the vid below (posted in another thread), Mr. Trump says that his biggest thought is getting his hips out of the way, and it's fair to say his hips are fairly open at impact (as you mention). Trump is skeptical of getting instruction, and he says "I'm more of a believer in ability than I am in instruction."

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Nice job on the analysis!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

For a minute lets forget golf. I am from the UK and think Trump is a legend. We have a saying over here, when the US sneezes the UK catches a cold. Our society is ridiculously liberal, and anyone who wants to live here can do so without any respect for our culture. Trump wants to stop this type of behavior in the US, so if he gets elected, then perhaps we may eventually benefit from hos policies over here. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

5 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

For a minute lets forget golf. I am from the UK and think Trump is a legend. We have a saying over here, when the US sneezes the UK catches a cold. Our society is ridiculously liberal, and anyone who wants to live here can do so without any respect for our culture. Trump wants to stop this type of behavior in the US, so if he gets elected, then perhaps we may eventually benefit from hos policies over here. 

There's another thread covering this topic. He's more interested in making America great again, not sure about the specific social aspects of his agenda.

This one is more about an objective analysis of his swing which Donald claims can hit 285 at least some of the time, which I happen to believe is true.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

22 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

18 minutes ago, Lihu said:

There's another thread covering this topic. He's more interested in making America great again, not sure about the specific social aspects of his agenda.

This one is more about an objective analysis of his swing which Donald claims can hit 285 at least some of the time, which I happen to believe is true.

Please keep on topic as was indicated in the OP.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I loved the "He came from the left, now He's on the right and will eventually become more centered" and the "Hips on the wall" references. Great video!

Fun post, Dave! Thanks for sharing. 

I thought I'd include Donald's GHIN... kind of sketchy the scores date all the way back to 2009, but I've never played with the guy before, so to me, I'd be perfectly fine with him playing off a 3.0 against me until proven otherwise :-D

Capture.thumb.PNG.63b7761cdad687b5de7c2d

70-74 as his two best tourney rounds... not too shabby. 

You know, I guess since ten of his twenty scores are tourney rounds, I should probably respect this index more (although that's European style of him; how unAmerican, Donald! hehe, sorry, I know we're not allowed to get political in this thread). 

Constantine

285? I would doubt that. 250? Sure, but not another thirty five yards. Normal conditions, very little roll.

Colin P.

11 minutes ago, colin007 said:

285? I would doubt that. 250? Sure, but not another thirty five yards. Normal conditions, very little roll.

Here's Lexi's take on that:

LOS ANGELES -

A few weeks ago, [Lexi] Thompson played nine holes with one of her old pals, Donald Trump. So she has a state secret of sorts: a real answer to how far the Republican front-runner can really hit the ball.

Trump has boasted about his golf skills, recently explaining that the barbs he's gotten from fellow GOP candidate Marco Rubio about his hands are undermined by his ability to crush a drive.

Thompson is diplomatic about that.

"I don't want to rat him out," she laughed.

Thompson just turned 21, but she and her family have known Trump for a few years already. "It got around that we were trying to find a golf course to practice out of [in South Florida]," she explained. "He came to us and said we'll give you a membership to a Trump course.

Lexi Thompson says she's played about a half-dozen rounds with Donald Trump. (AP Photo)

Lexi Thompson says she's played about a half-dozen rounds with Donald Trump. (AP Photo)

The two have played about a half-dozen rounds together.

"He knows our family very well," Thompson said. "He treats us amazing. He goes out there every weekend when he's home. He's out there around 9 o'clock."

This latest round was different than the others because Thompson and Trump were flanked by Secret Service officials. She called it "crazy."

As for his game, Thompson says Trump hits low line drives that get a lot of roll. She says his tee shots do travel upwards of 250 yards. (And let's give him some credit: The guy is going to be 70 this summer.)

When interviewed about the round on the Golf Channel, Trump didn't offer much of his usual bombast, saying he played "OK." He also said he was asked by his wife Melania how much better he was than Lexi, and he told her not to pose that question.

Trump said Thompson shot 32 for nine holes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-golf-game-revealed-072110735.html

• Upvote 1

Constantine

I'll take Lexi's word for it. Period.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"As for his game, Thompson says Trump hits low line drives that get a lot of roll."

Exactly. To me, that's not truly someone who hits it 285.

Colin P.

6 minutes ago, colin007 said:

"As for his game, Thompson says Trump hits low line drives that get a lot of roll."

Exactly. To me, that's not truly someone who hits it 285.

He didn't say he hits 285 on average. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

12 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

That's 250 max. Let's say 235 average, with lots of roll, that's what, 200, 210 carry? That makes a lot more sense for a 70 yo and those numbers are very good for his age. Dunno how old he was in the red hat swing video, assuming it's recent.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That's 250 max. Let's say 235 average, with lots of roll, that's what, 200, 210 carry? That makes a lot more sense for a 70 yo and those numbers are very good for his age. Dunno how old he was in the red hat swing video, assuming it's recent.

No, it was upwards to 250 which could mean more than one max and that's with current playing conditions. I can see one or two 285 yard drives.

My median is 260 and I've hit some 30-40 yards further, and a freakish one 321. So, it happens. He might have quoted his longest ones at 285?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What I'm saying is, if it takes forty yards of roll for you to "hit" those ones 285 then in my book, you don't really hit anything 285. That's by my yardstick. 

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!