IGNORED

Tell me about Pasatiempo!

Note: This thread is 3054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

I'm going to play Pasatiempo in early May around 945am. What tips or info can you impart for getting the most out of the round?

Is the weather breezy or cool?  Fast greens?  Many elevation changes?  I know nothing about it other than it's highly rated and Mackenzie designed it and lived on it. Is it a walkable course, or is cart better?  Decent practice facilities if I arrive early?

Thanks in advance for replies!

Some debate whether it is really Mackenzie's design or Marion Hollins. She also "co-designed" Cypress. She is worth learning a bit about.

Edited by VOX

Definitely walkable.  To me, it felt more like a typical muni course.  Not much to rave about. But it could be just me.

It will most likely be cool in the morning.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2016 at 8:48 AM, VOX said:

Some debate whether it is really Mackenzie's design or Marion Hollins. She also "co-designed" Cypress. She is worth learning a bit about.

There is no doubt that it's a Mackenzie design. She was head pro there and worked with Dr. Mac on the design. However, he lived on the 6th hole. You can possible say that it's a MacKenzie/Doak design as Tom Doak did a lot of bunkering work 3-4 years ago.

It's a tremendous course, nothing like any muni I've ever played. Amazing greens with tons of back to front slope, meaning do not be above the pins. It's an easy walk. If your bunker play is subpar it will eat you up.

Edited by MSchott

Golf in California near the coast means bringing layers. You could get a marine layer that is there in the morning and may not leave until a little afternoon at which time you may get a breeze. So it could be in the high forties to start, the warm to mid 60's then with the wind you might feel a little cool. 

Pasatiempo is one of my all time favorites. It is an older course that has great design features. Pretty sloped greens as mentioned by others as the greens were designed before we had the great mowers that are available today. 

You'll have a blast. Be sure to take pictures and post here.

Michael

Get on their email list and you will get updates on the course.

Layer

Walkable

Played it in the late 90's - it needed work, and it was updated, as noted above, a few years ago.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

You will love Pasa. The back nine especially. The bunkering is a highlight (McKenzie specials) and for me its the quirky hole designs. eg 10th which goes up a hill then turns left over a Barranca/Ravine. or the 16th which has an amazing second shot from a hilltop to a superb green with two tiers. And the 18th is a great par 3 over a deep valley. Just enjoy it. And then go to the McKenzie Grill where the food and views are brilliant.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Well guys I finally got to play the course. I decided to walk and glad I did. The biggest downside was that it started raining on hole 9 and continued the entire rest of the round. I was prepared for rain and the guys in proshop were nice enough to loan me an umbrella prior to the round. 

Overall, I had a difficult round due to 2 factors- my shot shape changing from a fade to a pull-pull draw so I had no way to predict it, and it was my first round with my new Edel putter. 

All in all, I hit a few really great shots intermixed w some bad ones. 

I think this course had the absolute best bunkers I've ever seen or hit from, and they were still powdery soft despite the rain. I'm not too sure how to post pics yet, but if I can easily figure it out I will. 

An added bonus for me was buying a dry joy jacket w removable sleeves w the Pasatiempo logo on it for 40% off!

I'd relish the chance to play this course again. 

Edited by Goubli

That's great! I'm glad you enjoyed your round. I haven't payed there in a long time and there was an extensive renovation a few years ago that added a lot of those beautiful bunkers. It's a great walk as well. I had my only eagle ever on the 9th hole.

Note: This thread is 3054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!