IGNORED

Super-Lightweight Drivers That Don't Hit the Ball as Far

Note: This thread is 2862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

No I don't really have the answer persay:-) I do kind of have an idea and it's called optimized weighting vs a lot of wasted weight, For instance take a look at the bottom of your driver it's pointless and is wasted material and weight.

Nike has already started to hollow out their drivers and adding more wight where it's actually needed. In the future they may find a way reduce it to 100 grams optimize the weight where it's needed for faster club head speed same energy transfer and of course being the face is the same titanium and legal cor.

nike_golf_club_design_2_141-681x511.jpg

You realize drivers already are hollow, right?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
3 minutes ago, jamo said:

You realize drivers already are hollow, right?

Yes the Nike one I was depicting here,but not all of them. Sure they are tin cans but the bottom of them often has added weights and metal between the hollowness it's wasted weight tha alters cg as they say. Great clubs sure I'm just saying they can be better in design..  

30150057_im__________0_gsi.jpg

Edited by Mike Boatright

7 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

In the future they may find a way reduce it to 100 grams optimize the weight where it's needed for faster club head speed same energy transfer and of course being the face is the same titanium and legal cor.

So your whole premise is wrong. It shows your lack of knowledge again in anything science related. 

12 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Nike has already started to hollow out their drivers and adding more wight where it's actually needed.

Umm, all drivers are hollow. :doh::doh:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

Umm, all drivers are hollow. :doh::doh:

98% of all golf drivers are not hollow duhh. Besides Nike. That bottom plate and movable  weight is probably 35 grams or more

See the 2 photos below? Which one would you categorize as actually being hollow vs just internally hollow?

(edited)
13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

So your whole premise is wrong. It shows your lack of knowledge again in anything science related. 

See they are already starting to do as I say optimizing weight and removing unnecessary weight.

flexflight2.png

Edited by Mike Boatright

@Mike Boatright I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

3 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

98% of all golf drivers are not hollow duhh. Besides Nike. That bottom plate and movable  weight is probably 35 grams or more

See the 2 photos below? Which one would you categorize as actually being hollow vs just internally hollow?

Are you an idiot or just like to act like one for some reason. 

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Guess what, 100% of all drivers out there are hollow. There is not one driver that is 100% solid metal. 

To answer your question. They are both hollow. 

3 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

See they are already starting to do as I say optimizing weight and removing unnecessary weight.

The weight isn't removed. It's repositioned. That clubhead still weights in the range of 180-200 grams. It actually might weight closer to 205 grams. That driver has a D4 swing weight with a 60 gram shaft in it. That means it has substantial weight in the clubhead compared to other drivers. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

You a betting man? No I'n not a scientist either are you or most people. Anyway 100 bucks say's this happens one day ok :dance: Boom I win yup pay to 

Well, let's see…

• @jamo and @saevel25 have engineering degrees and are employed as engineers.
  • I have two degrees in the sciences (one even has the word "science" in the name), and use science every day.

So it depends on what you mean by "scientist." But by any definition, I'm much closer to being one than you.

Yes the Nike one I was depicting here,but not all of them. Sure they are tin cans but the bottom of them often has added weights and metal between the hollowness it's wasted weight tha alters cg as they say. Great clubs sure I'm just saying they can be better in design..  

All the drivers being produced by any of the big companies are hollow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I forgot this little gem. Let the video speak for itself. 

Mizuno JPX-850 - Hollow
Taylormade R15 - Hollow
Cobra King LTD - Hollow
Ping G30 - Hollow
Nike Vapor Pro - Hollow 
Callaway Double Black - Hollow
Wilson Staff - Hollow

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

All the drivers being produced by any of the big companies are hollow.

To keep it simple for you guys yes internally hollow. Nike has taken the bottom out of it and re positioned the weight as I have explained. The idea is to re position the weight with a 100 gram head to maximize smash factor to the same as a heavier head that's it. Possible maybe maybe not? I think so you guys are getting lost in trivial matters again are not getting this at all!!. You think I'm stupid when you guys are not getting what I'm saying it's humorous. It may be possible and could be done one day. It's like im talking to 12 year old's about car mechanics and gas mileage and you spout off about how all cars have motors it won't work yada yada.. It's theoretical has nothing to do with the fact that all drivers are hollow. Nike was a depiction of how they took the bottom out of it and positioned the weight. Probably still 200 grams,but maybe it's doesn't have to be with the correct design and weight positioning.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

To keep it simple for you guys yes internally hollow.

Mike, you're not entitled to your own definitions of things.

Nike has taken the bottom out of it and re positioned the weight as I have explained. The idea is to re position the weight with a 100 gram head to maximize smash factor to the same as a heavier head that's it.

Nike's head probably weighs the same as everyone else's.

I think so you guys are getting lost in trivial matters again are not getting this at all!!. You think I'm stupid when you guys are not getting what I'm saying it's humorous. It may be possible and could be done one day. It's like im talking to 12 year old's about car mechanics and gas mileage and you spout off about how all cars have motors it won't work yada yada.. It's theoretical has nothing to do with the fact that all drivers are hollow. Nike was a depiction of how they took the bottom out of it and positioned the weight. Probably still 200 grams,but maybe it's doesn't have to be with the correct design and weight positioning.

Uh, right. It's us who is not getting it. Okay then.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To keep it simple for you guys yes internally hollow. 

Then why claim that 98% of drivers are not hollow?

The idea is to re position the weight with a 100 gram head to maximize smash factor to the same as a heavier head that's it.

Nope. It's to allow them to optimize CG location and MOI. It has nothing to do with smash factor. 

9 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

It's theoretical has nothing to do with the fact that all drivers are hollow. 

Good theories are at least backed by facts, not your delusional ignorance. 

10 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Probably still 200 grams,but maybe it's doesn't have to be with the correct design and weight positioning.

Yes it does. It doesn't matter what you do. If you take the weight down you will lower the smash factor. You have yet to prove otherwise. Guess what, centuries of physics says you can't.

You fail to understand the concept of constraints. 

1. USGA limits ball speed
2. USGA limits the coefficient of restitution
3. Physics defines collisions by transfer of kinetic energy which is based on mass, velocity, and a coefficient of restitution. 

Unless you have a way of defying physics your theory fails before it gets off the ground. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

8 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

To keep it simple for you guys yes internally hollow. Nike has taken the bottom out of it and re positioned the weight as I have explained. The idea is to re position the weight with a 100 gram head to maximize smash factor to the same as a heavier head that's it. Possible maybe maybe not? I think so you guys are getting lost in trivial matters again are not getting this at all!!. You think I'm stupid when you guys are not getting what I'm saying it's humorous. It may be possible and could be done one day. It's like im talking to 12 year old's about car mechanics and gas mileage and you spout off about how all cars have motors it won't work yada yada.. It's theoretical has nothing to do with the fact that all drivers are hollow. Nike was a depiction of how they took the bottom out of it and positioned the weight. Probably still 200 grams,but maybe it's doesn't have to be with the correct design and weight positioning.

Internally hollow?  C'mon Mike.

Nike didn't take the bottom out they just reduced the volume of air inside the driver head.  There's still a bottom to the Nike driver head, it's just the bottom of the cutout is closer to the top of the head.  It's called marketing, not science.  

Joe Paradiso

Internally hollow? I'm definitely not a scientist, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what other kinds of hollow are there?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

24 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Internally hollow? I'm definitely not a scientist, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what other kinds of hollow are there?

Duh-Externally hollow.

And as @Mike Boatright is demonstrating-Mentally hollow.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

''A hole or depression in something definition of hollow'' Most drivers are empty inside being internally hollow vs the definition of hollow as an external empty space vs a solid exterior object and empty interior.

896609p_alt1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

''A hole or depression in something definition of hollow'' Most drivers are empty inside being internally hollow vs the definition of hollow as an external empty space vs a solid exterior object and empty interior.

That means absolutely nothing. 

17 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Duh-Externally hollow.

And as @Mike Boatright is demonstrating-Mentally hollow.

^^ This

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 2862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!