IGNORED

Super-Lightweight Drivers That Don't Hit the Ball as Far

Note: This thread is 2872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What if we had drivers the shape of the Scotty Cameron Futura XR. You know took the Nike cavity driver design and just kept two long hollow Fangs and a majority of the mass directly behind the ball. I know the fangs on the Futura aren't hollow, but on a driver they could be.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm joking about this or actually wondering how it would work...

image.jpeg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

What if we had drivers the shape of the Scotty Cameron Futura XR. You know took the Nike cavity driver design and just kept two long hollow Fangs and a majority of the mass directly behind the ball. I know the fangs on the Futura aren't hollow, but on a driver they could be.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm joking about this or actually wondering how it would work...

like this, 

http://www.prioritydesigns.com/work/item/taylormade-golf-club-design-engineering-prototyping/

Which is 100% illegal by USGA Rules. They wanted to know how far they could push the limit on their design. So they cam up with a driver that had movable parts and did all sorts of wierd stuff. In the end it still has a mass. It still has a velocity. It still obeys the physics laws ;) 

• Upvote 3

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

like this, 

http://www.prioritydesigns.com/work/item/taylormade-golf-club-design-engineering-prototyping/

Which is 100% illegal by USGA Rules. They wanted to know how far they could push the limit on their design. So they cam up with a driver that had movable parts and did all sorts of wierd stuff. In the end it still has a mass. It still has a velocity. It still obeys the physics laws ;) 

Honestly the fact this exists made my day..

1 minute ago, freshmanUTA said:

Honestly the fact this exists made my day..

I would probably own one just to place it somewhere in my house. It just looks so badass :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

25 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I would probably own one just to place it somewhere in my house. It just looks so badass :-D

Indeed. What did the wings do besides look cool - increased MOI?

Kevin

4 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Indeed. What did the wings do besides look cool - increased MOI?

I think it adjusted to the aerodynamics of the swing to keep the clubhead stable. If that fits MOI then yes ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

6 hours ago, iacas said:

A scientist you are not…

Agreed! In one post Mike asks why mass must equal weight. Allow me to offer a Physics 101 lesson. There are two kinds of mass, Gravitational Mass and Inertial Mass. For we humans they are equal (at sea level) because we live on earth and are subject to a gravitational field. We live at the bottom of the "gravitational well" established by the earth's mass in space. I should say near the bottom, since the exact bottom would be at the earth's very core.

Imagine this scenario. A payload has been sent to the International Space Station (ISS), perhaps an addition or device to be bolted onto the outside of it. It weighs 2,000lbs on the Earth's surface.  It is tethered to the outside of the station and an astronaut is outside working on the place where it is to be mounted. Something goes wrong, and the payload begins moving toward the astronaut, threatening to pinch him between itself and the ISS. He is warned via radio, but he can't simply turn around, extend his arms, and stop the payload despite the fact that it is "weightless". It may have zero Gravitational Mass, but it still has 2,000lbs of Inertial Mass. It will crush him and rupture the hull of the ISS. 

That is an instance where the two types of masses are different, but mass still has consequences. For us on Earth, they are, basically, one and the same.

And, to put this back in the golf context, what happens to the swingweight of the club? Are you going to be able to feel the clubhead at all, or will it be like swinging a bare shaft? It kind of goes back to a question I've heard posed. What would you rather be hit by? A Ping Pong ball going 100MPH, or a Ping Pong ball sized bearing going 50? Which would have more effect?

• Upvote 2

I have this driver and might test it's head in weight. I't feels far lighter than 200 grams and was high tec for it's day.

4 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And, to put this back in the golf context, what happens to the swingweight of the club? Are you going to be able to feel the clubhead at all, or will it be like swinging a bare shaft? It kind of goes back to a question I've heard posed. What would you rather be hit by? A Ping Pong ball going 100MPH, or a Ping Pong ball sized bearing going 50? Which would have more effect?

I get all that being that it's very scientific and all. The golf ball weighs 1.68 ounces i'm only talking 100 grams less it makes a huge difference in club head speed. If a 200 gram driver bar none goes 250 yards at 100 mph and 250 yards with a 100 gram driver head at 130 mph no matter the circumstances then it's just a dream. Testing needs to be done.

4 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

war.jpg

5 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

image.jpeg

It could potentially work and be legal. A solid putter like that could weigh 325 grams though and would feel very heavy. A driver design like that with a thin titanium face no body and less weight could work that's what i'm talking about testing needs to be done.

4 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

I get all that being that it's very scientific and all. The golf ball weighs 1.68 ounces i'm only talking 100 grams less it makes a huge difference in club head speed. If a 200 gram driver bar none goes 250 yards at 100 mph and 250 yards with a 100 gram driver head at 130 mph no matter the circumstances then it's just a dream. Testing needs to be done.

What is the meaning of this random assortment of words?

Dude, please, proof read your posts.  You're giving me a headache. I'm sure you have a point to make and it could possible spur some interesting conversation, but not until you figure out how to make your posts comprehensible. 

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Are we forgetting that the USGA has limits on MOI? They've been maxed out as well.

And you can't have a club with a high MOI (like that putter) that also has "a majority of the mass directly behind the ball." That's not how MOI works.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

That means absolutely nothing. 

^^ This

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had missed something important in school (wouldn't be the first time). 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

5 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

The golf ball weighs 1.68 ounces

Please use similar units. A golf ball weights about 46 grams. 

i'm only talking 100 grams less it makes a huge difference in club head speed.

Prove it. Where is your proof on this? What facts do you have to back up this claim? By backing up I mean a good number of people tested to see if this is true. 

If a 200 gram driver bar none goes 250 yards at 100 mph and 250 yards with a 100 gram driver head at 130 mph no matter the circumstances then it's just a dream. Testing needs to be done.

You'd never see that type of increase in speed. Golf companies have been testing aerodynamics of drivers for years now. 

6 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

It could potentially work and be legal. 

Not legal. If you actually did time to look at the USGA equipment rules you would know this. 

Severe or Multiple Cavities in the Outline of the Back of the Head

A severe cavity is one in which the entrance of the cavity is narrower than its width at any other point. Multiple cavities are not permitted (see Figures 35c and d). Cavities in the crown of the head are permitted, even if they are primarily designed for sighting, aiming or head alignment, or to accommodate markings for such aids (see Figure 35e). However, cavities in the crown of a driver head are filled for the purposes of evaluating the head's volume (see Design of Clubs, Section 4b(i)).

figure 35

Note item c in the figure. You are not going to get a driver designed like that putter past the USGA. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Prove it. Where is your proof on this? What facts do you have to back up this claim? By backing up I mean a good number of people tested to see if this is true. 

You'd never see that type of increase in speed. Golf companies have been testing aerodynamics of drivers for years now. 

Not legal. If you actually did time to look at the USGA equipment rules you would know this. 

Note item c in the figure. You are not going to get a driver designed like that putter past the USGA. 

Aw man, I was just throwing some wacky ideas out :/ Still like seeing that taylormade prototype tho

Non conforming drivers are very likely getting more common in my area. Guessing that a partner was using one the other day, because his swing speed was not that fast and he hit still pretty far. A couple times we ended up next to each other and I noticed he had a hybrid in his hands while I was using an 8i or shorter.. Unless, those were his mid irons? Sure, he could have just been really good off the tee and terrible on the approach, but the sound off his driver was not solid sounding. I've played with many people who admit right away that their drivers are non conforming, and the sound was similar.

I'm guessing that the extra yards off the tee will make golf more popular for most people, and they will pay for it. Every time a new longer technology comes out everyone seems to be on board with it. For example, when M1 came out many of the golfers in my area started using them. G30 same thing.

Off topic, but along the same lines, many more people own Honma type irons as well. They are super light and relatively long for any swing speed.

Anything to help with distance. An extra 20 yards off the tee or 10 yards per club can help a lot. Even though many people are on board with shortening the courses by teeing it forward many still need and want more distance and will do anything including using non conforming equipment.

My equipment seems so klunky and ancient compared to this new stuff whether they are conforming or not. People will pay for it, and use it to enjoy golf even if it does not conform with USGA rules.

So, along those lines, it's possible new non conforming equipment will come out with super light heads or whatever.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

16 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

What is the meaning of this random assortment of words?

Dude, please, proof read your posts.  You're giving me a headache. I'm sure you have a point to make and it could possible spur some interesting conversation, but not until you figure out how to make your posts comprehensible. 

Then don't read it or respond it's plain as day.

13 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Aw man, I was just throwing some wacky ideas out :/ Still like seeing that taylormade prototype tho

The maximum weight for a ball is 1.62 ounces, and balls are not permitted to exceed this and still be used in tournament play. Most balls are manufactured to be ...  source golf smith.

I have tested it myself by taking a titleist titanium d driver by sawing the head in half. I'd did the same with a callaway ft tour driver. I have a legitimate swing speed radar the results are plain to see from my testing. The callaway with a standard 45 inch shaft get's into the 128 mph range and the titleist being a littler heavier and shorter at 42.5 inches get's into the 119 range for me. I swing it smooth 104 with a reg club and smooth 112 to 115 with these guys I have a few photos of em and I will try to find em.

The reason im referring to only a marginal 100 grams and the ball weight 1.62 ounces is the fact is negligible and seems feasible. The other guy was talking about rocket ships,physics gravity etc.. 

14 hours ago, saevel25 said:

sorry boss 1.62 ounces =46 grams who cares

I have tested it hundreds of times it's factual

Yes you would see that much increase in speed and for some maybe even more I have gotten into the 138 mph rang going hard that's a 25 mph increase.

That's weird that some of those cavity type drivers are non conforming why? It wouldn't have an effect on cor so that's kinda odd?

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

sorry boss 1.62 ounces =46 grams who cares

I have tested it hundreds of times it's factual

Yes you would see that much increase in speed and for some maybe even more I have gotten into the 138 mph rang going hard that's a 25 mph increase.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!