IGNORED

Playing a Round of Golf Solo

boil3rmak3r
Note: This thread is 2736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

What were the ratings from the back tees?

I ask only because you might have some people in your club wanting the exact details of how your scored a 90? :whistle:

74.4/142, so that would be a 12.4 differential. Its not that far off.

Date Course Score Differential ESC Slope Rating
5/18/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 90 12.4 90 142 74.4
5/15/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 89 15.2 89 133 71.1
5/14/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 82 7.6 82 136 72.9
5/13/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 83 8.4 83 136 72.9
5/10/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 86 9.2 86 142 74.4
5/8/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 77 3.4 77 136 72.9
5/7/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 78 5.9 78 133 71.1
5/4/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 81 6.7 81 136 72.9
5/3/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 86 10.9 86 136 72.9
5/2/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 84 9.2 84 136 72.9
4/30/2016 Cog Hill Golf Club (Course 4) 89 12.4 89 138 73.9
4/30/2016 Cog Hill Golf Club (Course #1) 85 14.7 85 118 69.7
4/24/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 86 12.7 86 133 71.1
4/23/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 82 9.3 82 133 71.1
4/23/2016 The Creeks Public Links 83 15.2 83 113 67.8
4/21/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 86 10.9 86 136 72.9
4/17/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 79 6.7 79 133 71.1
4/16/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 87 13.5 87 133 71.1
4/10/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 87 13.5 87 133 71.1
4/7/2016 Ritz-Carlton Golf Club (Orlando) 89 11.6 86 134 72.2

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

74.4/142, so that would be a 12.4 differential. Its not that far off.

Date Course Score Differential ESC Slope Rating
5/18/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 90 12.4 90 142 74.4
5/15/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 89 15.2 89 133 71.1
5/14/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 82 7.6 82 136 72.9
5/13/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 83 8.4 83 136 72.9
5/10/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 86 9.2 86 142 74.4
5/8/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 77 3.4 77 136 72.9
5/7/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 78 5.9 78 133 71.1
5/4/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 81 6.7 81 136 72.9
5/3/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 86 10.9 86 136 72.9
5/2/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 84 9.2 84 136 72.9
4/30/2016 Cog Hill Golf Club (Course 4) 89 12.4 89 138 73.9
4/30/2016 Cog Hill Golf Club (Course #1) 85 14.7 85 118 69.7
4/24/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 86 12.7 86 133 71.1
4/23/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 82 9.3 82 133 71.1
4/23/2016 The Creeks Public Links 83 15.2 83 113 67.8
4/21/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 86 10.9 86 136 72.9
4/17/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 79 6.7 79 133 71.1
4/16/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 87 13.5 87 133 71.1
4/10/2016 Pinnacle Country Club 87 13.5 87 133 71.1
4/7/2016 Ritz-Carlton Golf Club (Orlando) 89 11.6 86 134 72.2

I appreciate your response, Paul.  My intent was not to call out sandbaggers or vanity cappers (and I agree, your score today is not an outlier).  I truly struggle to not "illegally" practice during a round as a single.  Based on responses to this thread, there seems to be some that are like me, and many others that have no problem with playing strictly by the ROG as a single...

11 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Still easy to post that round if you follow the rule associated with how to score a hole not played by the rules:

Section 4

Holes Not Played/Not Played Under The Rules of Golf

Q.  How do I post a score if a hole is not played or not played under the Rules of Golf?"

A.  For handicap purposes, the player must record a score of par plus any handicap strokes normally received for the holes not played or holes not played in accordance with the Rules of Golf. These scores should have an “X” preceding the number. For example, player A is not able to play holes 16, 17, and 18 due to darkness. Player A has a Course Handicap™ of 12 and holes 16, 17, 18 are a par 5, 3, 4, and are allocated as the number 4, 16, 10 handicap holes, respectively. Therefore, player A will record an x-6, x-3, x-5 on holes 16, 17, and 18, respectively.

Please visit Section 4-2 of the USGA Handicap System manual for further reference.

I've done this on occasion when I wasn't able to go back and rehit a ball that came up missing.

Handicap rules only work for people who carry official USGA handicaps. Many people do not. The player I mentioned does not, and this was the only hole he deviated from the rules that I noticed. He still played well enough to shoot only one over par on the course. He and his father play for fun and relaxation and don't play in tournaments. So for them there is no remedy.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

7 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Handicap rules only work for people who carry official USGA handicaps. Many people do not. The player I mentioned does not, and this was the only hole he deviated from the rules that I noticed. He still played well enough to shoot only one over par on the course. He and his father play for fun and relaxation and don't play in tournaments. So for them there is no remedy.

... Then I don't understand why you bring up that instance. If he doesn't post his scores this discussion has absolutely nothing to do with him. However, if he were to post scores, I was simply showing that he would still be able to post the score by applying this rule in a situation that did not allow him to go back and re-hit from the previous position.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I don't carry an official HC either because I don't play competitive golf. The question was not "Do you play a round of golf by the rules if you carry an official HC?" The question was can you play a round of golf solo by the rules? The topic evolved. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

2 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

I don't carry an official HC either because I don't play competitive golf. The question was not "Do you play a round of golf by the rules if you carry an official HC?" The question was can you play a round of golf solo by the rules? The topic evolved. 

Fair point, being that it was brought up due to the change in score posting rules I did get stuck on that facet of the discussion. Though, my point still stands, that even on the occasion where someone is unable to complete a hole under the rules that it doesn't automatically invalidate the entire round for posting purposes. It is hard for me to separate the two discussions being that they are so closely related.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

45 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

You can pretty much enter what you want in the system unless your club requires that you turn in your scorecards for review.

Interestingly enough, your club is not allowed to require you to turn in your scorecard in most situations.

5-2a/3. Requiring the Return of Scorecards for Handicap Purposes

Q: May a Handicap Committee require the returning of scorecards from players in order for a score to be posted?

A: No. However, scorecards may be requested periodically if the Handicap Committee wishes to sample the accuracy with which players are adjusting scores. The club must not take punitive action regarding the scoring record or the Handicap Index if a score is returned sans scorecard.

36 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I just played 18 on an "extended" lunch break (hour and a half) and shot 90 from the back tees. 

I play by the rules. I posted the score. If the USGA has a problem with that then they better find a better way to govern it. I make the decision right before I tee it up whether this is a practice round or a real round. Once I say its real, its getting posted whether its good or not. 

Kyle, your Handicap Committee should have a problem with it, you're breaking a rule just as much as if you dropped for  a lost ball where you think it should have been.  I know at my club the staff specifically marks "solo" rounds on the tee sheet for the Handicap Committee's use in reviewing scores.  There are lots of rules that each of us may not like, but we're stuck with them.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Interestingly enough, your club is not allowed to require you to turn in your scorecard in most situations.

Kyle, your Handicap Committee should have a problem with it, you're breaking a rule just as much as if you dropped for  a lost ball where you think it should have been.  I know at my club the staff specifically marks "solo" rounds on the tee sheet for the Handicap Committee's use in reviewing scores.  There are lots of rules that each of us may not like, but we're stuck with them.

I understand that, but with the new rule just starting this year I would expect the committee to review any large swings in indexes. They have already moved guys up a flight due to some off season rounds not getting posted.

I'm gladly playing in a lower flight this year as well.

Ill be back at the club at 4;30 for another round with a buddy, so Ill ask my pro what they are doing about single rounds being posted.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

5 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I understand that, but with the new rule just starting this year I would expect the committee to review any large swings in indexes. They have already moved guys up a flight due to some off season rounds not getting posted.

I'm gladly playing in a lower flight this year as well.

Ill be back at the club at 4;30 for another round with a buddy, so Ill ask my pro what they are doing about single rounds being posted.

Its a good thing to ask, to understand the job that the Committee is supposed to do.  It's tough enough without having to deal with otherwise honest players who are in rebellion over the change in the rules.  I'd suggest making their job as easy as you can.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, boil3rmak3r said:

I appreciate your response, Paul.  My intent was not to call out sandbaggers or vanity cappers (and I agree, your score today is not an outlier).  I truly struggle to not "illegally" practice during a round as a single.  Based on responses to this thread, there seems to be some that are like me, and many others that have no problem with playing strictly by the ROG as a single...

I'd like to clarify that most people attempt this, but not always 100% successful.

The way I look at it is you need to get used to playing by the rules when playing in tournaments or the like, so why not just play by the rules all the time? It's not that hard to try to play by them all the time.

The exception would be if you are actually trying to practice strategies on the course or whatever, then those are practice rounds. For instance, I'd love to have been able to practice the pin placement on the 6th hole yesterday. I landed the ball a few feet from the pin, but it was on a downhill bumpy part of the green that knocked my approach off the backside. My partner thought it was a perfect shot, but it wasn't. So, if I were to play a practice round I would try different approaches to hitting a pin in that location. However, I would be declaring that as a practice round with the sole intent to try out all the difficult pin placement approaches.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

IMO people being loose with rules during casual rounds is what creates slow play in our men's league. When the score "counts" they crawl around the course because they aren't accustomed to it.

Dave :-)

8 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

IMO people being loose with rules during casual rounds is what creates slow play in our men's league. When the score "counts" they crawl around the course because they aren't accustomed to it.

Right, just play by all the rules you know. That includes specifically non practice solo rounds. Of course you can't post, but that's also following the rules. . .

Not sure I agree with the slow play part, but we likely just have different experiences.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Right, just play by all the rules you know. That includes specifically non practice solo rounds. Of course you can't post, but that's also following the rules. . .

Not sure I agree with the slow play part, but we likely just have different experiences.

Exactly, people play slower because they want to win, not so much because they are following the rules.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

9 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It definitely slows them down, because they have to think about what to do, often discuss it with someone else before proceeding.  When you play that way normally, following relief procedures just comes naturally because that's how you always play.  Adding the competition element changes nothing.

• Upvote 2

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Yes they are slow in our league because they aren't accustomed to putting in gimmies and things like that. They don't know how to be efficient because being quick during for fun rounds means taking liberties. The guys that never sniff low gross in their flight aren't trying to win they know they won't ever get there unless it's their best day of the season. Biggest time waste in league is not playing provisional balls when there is a chance it's lost and lining up short putts. 

Dave :-)

2 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

It definitely slows them down, because they have to think about what to do, often discuss it with someone else before proceeding.  When you play that way normally, following relief procedures just comes naturally because that's how you always play.  Adding the competition element changes nothing.

Really, you are going to say that people don't naturally play slower when they are in a competition and are trying to win? They guys in my league don't even really play by the rules and still play slow because they are trying to win. Play with them outside of league and they play much faster.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

9 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Really, you are going to say that people don't naturally play slower when they are in a competition and are trying to win? They guys in my league don't even really play by the rules and still play slow because they are trying to win. Play with them outside of league and they play much faster.

By what rules? Hopefully, at least by some agreed upon common rules they came up with by themselves?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

By what rules? Hopefully, at least by some agreed upon common rules they came up with by themselves?

They play "winter rules" which is an amalgamation of preferred lies in addition to other miscellaneous "league rules" like treating OB as water hazard with a drop plus one stroke, club length free drop from under trees, etc. They get angry at me for playing by the actual rules all the time.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 2736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!