IGNORED

Opinions on Tour Edge Irons/Hybrid/Driver?

Bowker
Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a bazooka jmax QL driver which broke on 3 different occasions, one time the face cracked, and twice the crown cracked. I got tired of having it replaced, so I bought a Titleist 905R and have never been happier. I'm sure the Exotics are a lot better though.

Like I said in another thread... I bought the Geomax 3 and 5 wood today. And couldn't be happier... 3 wood is a hard club for me, but I smoked the hell out of it on the 18th hole today for at least 220 yards uphill - I'll need to practice and make that repeatable.

But the 5 wood? Man I love that club. It's like butter. I hit at least 8 memorable shots with that club today.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

• 7 years later...

They may be a good big box store set but all I have seen with them is hosel problems with the woods and hybrids. They have a short hosel with the ones I have seen/repaired.

Shafts break, possibly due to a glue dam when manufactured.

Poor swing is a factor as well. Why people do not take some lessons every year is beyond me. I don't give them so I have no dog is this hunt.

Most people have no idea what hits good or not for someone else so it's a hunt and peck to determine what's best for a specific person.

Save yourself some money and time and become a better golfer by:

Get some instruction if you can afford it, it's priceless.

But be very careful, lots of instructors will just give you enough to string you along for as long as they can.

Ask your friends for a referral.

Learn to put and pitch/chip at any golf course (it's free), and remember you don't have to have a wedge.

Learn to hit the green from your 'best' distance, not what others say you should be hitting, distance wise.

You can always chip or pitch with a 9 iron or a higher lofted hybrid. Many pros have done the same especially in the fluff.

Learn to hit your 9 iron consistently (meaning a reasonable distance "for you" and within a 10 yard radius of the target).

Once you have accomplished this, move to your eight, then 7, then on and on and on.

Don't ever forget the 38-24 rule. It was true 70 years ago and it's still true today.

'the average weekend golfer/hacker, will never be able to hit a golf club that is longer than 38" or with less loft than 24 degrees 'consistently'.

Please look up the word consistently, I did not say 100% of the time but try for 90% before moving on to the next club and never quit practicing with the ones you have mastered.

So, master the putter through 5 iron (for some the 5 will be a problem) and then find a good hybrid or #5 fairway wood, plus a 13 degree or more loft driver.

Lastly, never forget that most fitters use cookie cutter methods to determine the length of your clubs. They also have a tendency to fit you with what they sell, not what's best for your swing.

They are almost always too long and the 1/2" increments that fitters use today has been proven incorrect by groups like "true length technologies".

Physics does not lie. Too long is wrong.

CYa

They may be a good big box store set but all I have seen with them is hosel problems with the woods and hybrids. They have a short hosel with the ones I have seen/repaired. Shafts break, possibly due to a glue dam when manufactured. Poor swing is a factor as well. Why people do not take some lessons every year is beyond me. I don't give them so I have no dog is this hunt. Most people have no idea what hits good or not for someone else so it's a hunt and peck to determine what's best for a specific person. Save yourself some money and time and become a better golfer by: Get some instruction if you can afford it, it's priceless. But be very careful, lots of instructors will just give you enough to string you along for as long as they can. Ask your friends for a referral. Learn to put and pitch/chip at any golf course (it's free), and remember you don't have to have a wedge. Learn to hit the green from your 'best' distance, not what others say you should be hitting, distance wise. You can always chip or pitch with a 9 iron or a higher lofted hybrid. Many pros have done the same especially in the fluff. Learn to hit your 9 iron consistently (meaning a reasonable distance "for you" and within a 10 yard radius of the target). Once you have accomplished this, move to your eight, then 7, then on and on and on. Don't ever forget the 38-24 rule. It was true 70 years ago and it's still true today.      'the average weekend golfer/hacker, will never be able to hit a golf club that is longer than 38" or with less loft than 24 degrees 'consistently'. Please look up the word consistently, I did not say 100% of the time but try for 90% before moving on to the next club and never quit practicing with the ones you have mastered. So, master the putter through 5 iron (for some the 5 will be a problem) and then find a good hybrid or #5 fairway wood, plus a 13 degree or more loft driver. Lastly, never forget that most fitters use cookie cutter methods to determine the length of your clubs. They also have a tendency to fit you with what they sell, not what's best for your swing. They are almost always too long and the 1/2" increments that fitters use today has been proven incorrect by groups like "true length technologies". Physics does not lie. Too long is wrong. CYa

What in the hell makes you think that Tour Edge is just in big box stores? Tour Edge makes good equipment and have the [U]BEST [/U] warranty and customer service of any company. If it seems like it takes a while to get a return E-mail, Doug is just trying to find the CORRECT answer for you.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played the early beta-ti Bazooka low-profile fairway woods from 2002-2008. I quit using them mainly because the shafts were stiff, and I couldn't bend them any more.

For the next five years I tried variously Callaway X Tours, TM Raylor trouble clubs, and the first-gen RBZ FWs (pain!).

Three years ago, I went with Tour Edge XRail 4W and 7W with excellent result, and am planning to buy a used XRail 4H . The TE Exotics model FWs are great if you have a little better swing than I do.

Here's an XRail FW review I did. http://thesandtrap.com/products/tour-edge-exotics-xrail-fairway-woods/reviews/4747

I have tried the irons. They're OK, I just never bought any.

TE was founded in 1985 by former golf pro David Glod, who still goes on the road himself to certain demo days. TE does its own R&D; for its clubs. A handful of tour pros play the Exotics FWs - they buy them from TE because they're good. TE doesn't sponsor any pros.

Check out the site: http://www.touredge.com/index.asp

P.S. You can find earlier Sand Trap threads on TE if you search a little.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Tour Edge has pretty hot faces and innovative designs.  Their CB and E8's fairway and hybrid lines are considered some of the longest in the industry.

Joe Paradiso

I've hit a couple of their iron sets and they were easy to get in the air. The fairway woods and hybrids have a good reputation. I don't know much about their drivers. I do have one of their cart bags and like it a lot.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

I have XCG6 hybrids and a set of CU irons good stuff.

Damn straight, Dave... My only problem with the CU's with KBS shafts is they swing too damn heavy, just seems as if they are off balance a little... The Dynalite 90s do seem a little light, and you do spray the ball until you get used to them being so light, it doesn't take as much effort to swing them.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I put the C-Taper lite in the CU's and it was a good combo for me. Problem is they produce pretty much exactly what my 588TT irons do so I use those. I just loaned the CU's to a friend so curious to know what he liked or disliked about them. He's just getting back into golf and wants AP1's.

Dave :-)

I have been playing Tour Edge stuff for a couple of decades now. No problems with quality, or customer service after the sale in all that time. I am in a position to buy any brand I want, but I am convinced that Tour Edge clubs  are just as good as anything else on the market today, at a better price.

FWIW, I buy all my TE stuff through Golf USA in Manhattan , Kansas. Again service after the sale is why I do business with them. Plus, I have done business direct with the TE factory/distributor in Batavia, IL when I needed a club tweaked to fit my swing. Never ever a problem. I once had a whole set of TE Iron Woods tweaked. I sent them to their factory from Vegas and had them drop shipped to an address in Saginaw TX, which I was  going to be  at a later date. Cost me a grand total of $28 for everything, and the tweaking was correct. Can't beat that.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I put the C-Taper lite in the CU's and it was a good combo for me. Problem is they produce pretty much exactly what my 588TT irons do so I use those. I just loaned the CU's to a friend so curious to know what he liked or disliked about them. He's just getting back into golf and wants AP1's.

Why in the hell would he blow that much money on AP1's? You can get a [U]BRAND SPANKIN' NEW [/U] set of CU's for $199.96 on closeout, hell the Bazooka Max-D 45 irons are down to $99.99 I'm almost tempted to pick up a set as a back-up set, why pay $800 for a 5-GW2 set of AP1's, when you can get the same quality for 1/8-1/4 the cost...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!