Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
krupa

GAME Golf Tag Popped Out of Pure Grip!

36 posts / 4144 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I put Pure Pro grips on my irons yesterday and this morning went out to the range.  As I was collecting my stuff at the end, I noticed that a tag popped out of my 6 iron.  Amazingly, I found the tag again.  

Has anyone had this happen?  The only thing I can this is that I was holding the club too close to the end.  The grip, itself, seems like it's on the shaft as far as it will go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

1 minute ago, krupa said:

I put Pure Pro grips on my irons yesterday and this morning went out to the range.  As I was collecting my stuff at the end, I noticed that a tag popped out of my 6 iron.  Amazingly, I found the tag again.  

Has anyone had this happen?  The only thing I can this is that I was holding the club too close to the end.  The grip, itself, seems like it's on the shaft as far as it will go.

Very common with the Pure Grips because the holes aren't as deep and the rubber is more elastic than most. A dab of silicone is the most common solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, SavvySwede said:

Very common with the Pure Grips because the holes aren't as deep and the rubber is more elastic than most. A dab of silicone is the most common solution.

Thanks.  Something like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_176219-69-908570_0__?productId=3454788?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, krupa said:

I put Pure Pro grips on my irons yesterday and this morning went out to the range.  As I was collecting my stuff at the end, I noticed that a tag popped out of my 6 iron.  Amazingly, I found the tag again.  

Has anyone had this happen?  The only thing I can this is that I was holding the club too close to the end.  The grip, itself, seems like it's on the shaft as far as it will go.

That gappens with PURE grips because the hole at the butt cap is slightly larger than other grips. A number of us have taken to applying a dab of silicone to attach the tags with, but that will still come off and need to be reapplied periodically. I have lost a number of tags in the past, even with silicone applied.

GameGolf's official method is to use a dab of super glue I believe. Not my favorite since solvent welding dissolves a little bit of the tag and the grip, but I have done it on my wedges and they are solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/4/2016 at 11:21 AM, billchao said:

GameGolf's official method is to use a dab of super glue I believe. Not my favorite since solvent welding dissolves a little bit of the tag and the grip, but I have done it on my wedges and they are solid.

Lost my PW tag during yesterday's round. Found out about it when I went to tag and nothing registered. It was superglued on, too, per Game Golf's recommendation. I'm really getting sick of losing tags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Lost my PW tag during yesterday's round. Found out about it when I went to tag and nothing registered. It was superglued on, too, per Game Golf's recommendation. I'm really getting sick of losing tags.

I've had good luck with this stuff.  I haven't been playing a lot and my swing's not great but so far so good.  Your mileage may vary...

108618_K_L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On August 14, 2016 at 8:38 AM, billchao said:

Lost my PW tag during yesterday's round. Found out about it when I went to tag and nothing registered. It was superglued on, too, per Game Golf's recommendation. I'm really getting sick of losing tags.

I actually think a silicone glue is better than something like a superglue because the latter doesn't absorb vibrations as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/14/2016 at 0:44 PM, krupa said:

I've had good luck with this stuff.  I haven't been playing a lot and my swing's not great but so far so good.  Your mileage may vary...

108618_K_L.jpg

I used to use silicone. Now I use superglue. I might try something different altogether.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I actually think a silicone glue is better than something like a superglue because the latter doesn't absorb vibrations as well.

My experience with silicone on the GameGolf tags is that it is indeed weaker than superglue. All my tags used to be siliconed on, but the bond broke fairly quickly on the clubs I use the most. For a while I was just getting in the habit of retightening each tag as part of my preshot/postshot routine.

When I reshafted my clubs, I regripped everything with new PURE DTXs and went with superglue. With the superglue, the butt of the grip and the tag welded together rather nicely and I had no issues with them coming apart in the slightest. That is until this weekend when I went to tag my PW and it wasn't there. It's the club I've been using on full swings the most lately and that probably has something to do with it.

It doesn't matter now because they are nice enough to send me a replacement tag, but this is probably the 6th tag I've lost. Maybe they ought to collaborate with PURE and make a special grip like they did with Golf Pride. I love my PURE grips, but if it's going to be a choice between tags and grips, I'll find different grips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

It doesn't matter now because they are nice enough to send me a replacement tag, but this is probably the 6th tag I've lost. Maybe they ought to collaborate with PURE and make a special grip like they did with Golf Pride. I love my PURE grips, but if it's going to be a choice between tags and grips, I'll find different grips.

You're doing something wrong, though, IMO. I have only PURE grips and haven't lost a tag in over a year. Since I began siliconing them on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You're doing something wrong, though, IMO. I have only PURE grips and haven't lost a tag in over a year. Since I began siliconing them on.

Yea, I'm not hitting the sweetspot solidly enough and causing excess vibrations up the club shaft. :8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea, I'm not hitting the sweetspot solidly enough and causing excess vibrations up the club shaft. :8)

Well, that does cause them to want to pop out. If you thin them, they really love to wiggle out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, billchao said:

Yea, I'm not hitting the sweetspot solidly enough and causing excess vibrations up the club shaft. :8)

You could try this. It has more adhesive properties than silicone.

shoe goo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just got a PURE Grip installed on my 6-iron (I figured it's about time to try them, finally, and my 6-iron needed a regripping).  Guess I'm off to get some silicone glue?  Any particular brand that worked well for folks?  Do I go to a Home Depot or a Walmart or ... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Just got a PURE Grip installed on my 6-iron (I figured it's about time to try them, finally, and my 6-iron needed a regripping).  Guess I'm off to get some silicone glue?  Any particular brand that worked well for folks?  Do I go to a Home Depot or a Walmart or ... ?

Just spend a few bucks ($2? $3) at the first store you're at that has a tube of silicone glue. I slap a glob on, push the tag in, and wipe away the excess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

Just spend a few bucks ($2? $3) at the first store you're at that has a tube of silicone glue. I slap a glob on, push the tag in, and wipe away the excess.

Awesome, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, I am not sure I got the right thing... it's this:

https://www.grainger.com/product/22N763?gclid=CLXLi7je8c4CFc9efgodvW0KrQ&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Adhesives%2C Sealants and Tape-_-Caulks-_-22N763&AL!2966!3!50916782277!!!g!104636072277!&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916782277!!!g!104636072277!&ef_id=VUy7zwAABJHhAw-w:20160902223215:s

 

Found it at Wal-Mart a few moments ago.  I figured I'd double-check before I open it and use it since it doesn't say "glue" on it, but was right with the other glues (no other ones said Silicone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...