IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge July 2016

Note: This thread is 2786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 hours ago, Nateinventura said:

30 minutes with a wedge and 8 iron at the range. Used video. Still steep on the downswing.  15 minutes with 10 yard chips. 

Welcome to TST. In case it helps, here's a thread of people chiming in with some tips on fixing their steepness:

As for me today, quick range session only hitting some stray balls. Spent 5 minutes working on the takeaway (keeping a bit more outside hands and pointing less toward sky, plus keeping club pointing more inside ball)

Then 10 minutes on A4-A6 slow motion, feeling the difference with the new steeper takeaway.

Only hit about 5 balls I collected up, but made them meaningful swings to about 75yds with 6-iron. Motion is feeling good, but I didn't confirm with video. Just worked on it feeling more athletic and natural- which it is. Video and longer session tomorrow at range.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7/3/16:

Played skins (18 holes) this morning... I played ok, shot 86. Scored a little bad... It was probably the worst I could have shot. i really only had 3 bad swings the whole day... Drive on 10... Under a tree (Double)... second shot on 14 into the cedars(Double)... Pulled 3-iron at 16(Double)... 8 bogeys and 7 pars (yes three IRON... The course is drier than a popcorn fart right now... Getting all sorts of weird bounces... Other than that I'm feeling confident going into the club...

Side Note: I have to update my HC Index in my profile page. My 76 and 79 from last year fell off of my recent revision on Friday... 12.8 HDCP.... Ouch.... I've been pretty consistent recently... And did make par on 18 my nemesis hole.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7/3/2016:

Worked on hip turn using the "door drill" and after the rain stopped I spent some time doing slow motion swings outside, stopping at the top to check turn and axis tilt. Then hit several pitch shots starting short and walking them out a little further each time and then back in.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Backswing mirror work and slow motion downswing work. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Too busy again for serious practice today, but I did spend about ten minutes doing an anti-early extension drill with a stool.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Already blew my chance at a full July, but got my newest evolvr lesson this morning and first the mirror, then the range with it, working on my setup, which slipped, and getting open in my downswing.   Do good set up, swing to top of backswing, down to A6 and check that I'm opening ... do that a few times and then step up and hit the ball.  Shot cone seemed a lot more focused today than in the past few weeks.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Really hot in the garage today so it's a perfect day for what I think of as "reality checks".  During the day, I'll go out to my practice area, grab a club, go through my pre-shot routine and then take 1 swing.  Then I'll come back and do the same thing again in an hour or 2.  I've already done it 3x times today.

I feel like it gives me a good feel for how I'm likely to hit it on the course - ie - no getting "in the zone" with 5 or 6 similar swings in a row. 

Tonight I'll probably do a regular practice - I want to work on the feel of my hands at impact - my hands in front of the ball (feeling), the club "tumbles" into impact (feeling).  I noticed that is what mainly was not there on the course yesterday - getting my hands all the way forward before the club starts turning over.  Getting to that full extension.  It requires a good downswing path, very minimal to 0 sway, and loose/flexible wrists and a transition/weight shift that at least doesn't work against me.

7/4/16:

Worked on FW and HYB shots today. Yesterday I carried D, Lumpy, 3i-PW, AW, 54°, 58°, Putter... But worked with the 4W, 3h and 4h for a bit... Trying to stop pulling those three clubs...  Alignment is most of it... Or my hands are too low...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Range day: nailed down LW distances 100-75-50. Just trying to improve my pitching 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

30 minutes range work. Video review for most shots. Oddly, a bit of backsliding today, but the swings did feel comfortable. A4-A6 was the focus. Trying to stop fairly short at the top with full shoulder turn still. Then hit the right points at A5/A6. Club was outside my hands at A6- that was the main regression point, as it was starting to move more inward in the last few sessions.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

7/4/2016:

10 minute practice in the yard with plastic balls after the fireworks ended this evening. Worked proper hip turn with no sway using slow motion backswings, checking different positions as I went back. Then a few slow movements into each downswing position and through extension. After doing that a few times, I'd take a full swing and hit a ball at about 60-70%. Making good contact, which is encouraging.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

I worked on mirror work with my back swing. Weather has not been nice in SE Ohio :-(

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

My legs were too sore to even consider taking full swings, but I did work on short putts on my carpet for about 15 minutes in the evening, primarily working on improving my aim.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Last chance to practice before my week-long trip (with no golf clubs . .boo). 

I hit about 30 shots into my net with my 9iron - just working on rhythm, tempo and feeling my hands turn over out in front of me.  I did some experimenting with seeing *how far* in front of me I can get that to happen.  I also experimented a bit with what I think is my "regular" path as well as some punch shots. 

I suspect that what I think of as my punch shot swing is more correct than my regular one - I probably need to get to where I'm hitting more down all the time.  My plan is to come back next week, groove back in what I got so far and then book another lesson . .got one more on the pre-pay!

7/5/16:

Worked on mostly setup this morning. Trying to make sure my club is pointing somewhere between my belt and naval. I also found I'm standing too far from the ball to accomplish that.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

7/5/2016:

Lot's of practice today. Worked on hip turn using wall drill a few times throughout the day. Recorded drill later in the evening at home and reviewed, then went outside and spent about an hour hitting (plastic) balls with my 52 and 58 wedges. Started with slow-backswings that I recorded, reviewed, and repeated. Progressed to slow-backswings, slow downswings, and then through the ball for about 10-15 shots. Took a break for a bit then (to cure my urge to just hit balls), I hit about 20 consecutive shots, running through pre-shot routine and spending a bit between each shot to think about the feel of what just happened. Tried my best to stay in the 50-75% power range for all of these. Then I set up 3 targets at different distances/angles and hit about 20 pitch shots, alternating between targets every 2 shots. Finally, after a water break, hit a few full shots to finish off the 6 balls I had left, and the 5th shot was the best all day so I decided to just stop there. Felt like a walk-off homerun.

Jake

I'm committed to complete the challenge this month, even as it looks like I'll go six days without being able to hit a ball due to weather, work, or holiday-related distractions.

As I took the trash out to the curb tonight, I grabbed my driver, and spent about five minutes doing the early extension drill I did on Wednesday, only with a club in my hands and propping myself against the trunk of my car instead of a stool. I couldn't take any real swings (with the potential of smashing my rear windshield and such), but I slowly worked myself through the various positions of the swing, making sure I wasn't pushing my pelvis up and in at any point. The early extension has always been most evident in my driver swing, and I've been terrible at hitting that club in recent weeks; the two are related.

I went to the driving range today. I worked on shortening my backswing. I have a lot of work to do on this. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 2786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!