IGNORED

Failure to Post Tournament Scores

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hypothetically, a player in our club has failed to post scores from past Tournaments.  He plays in events at two clubs and doesn't always post his tournament results from the "other" club.  We post Tournament scores for our members to eliminate this potential issue.

In 11 consecutive "net" events dating back to July, 2015, he has won his flight 5 times, come in second 5 times and placed 4th once.  A flight typically has 20-30 players of similar handicap indexes (9.0 to 14.0).  During this same time period, we have posted 5 scores for this player and he has posted 4 (one "T").  Nine rounds posted in a 12 month period.  He failed to post 5 "T" scores in that time period.  None of the scores he failed to post are exceptionally good but they are somewhat better than the 20 scores in his current handicap calculation.

1. Is there any conceivable way that record is possible without some degree of handicap manipulation?

2. What excuse, short of a claim of Alzheimers, would one accept for the failure to post?

3. What sort of penalty would be appropriate?

I understand that some do not play in "net" events because of issues like this one.  That is certainly a personal solution but not for this situation.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm pretty sure the handicap manual allows the committee to adjust this person's handicap based on previous tournament performance. If the committee doesn't exercise that right then they are condoning cheating. 

From the USGA Handicap Manual

b. Penalty Scores for Failure to Post

If a player fails to post an acceptable score as soon as practical after completion of the round, the Handicap Committee has three options:

1) Post the actual score made by the player;

2) Post a penalty score equal to the lowest/highest Handicap Differential in the player's scoring record;

3) Post the actual score and a penalty score The Handicap Committee is not required to notify the player prior to posting a penalty score.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not that I've played in many tournaments in the short while I've been playing but, doesn't the club always post the tournament score. Mine does.

Come to think of it, they take my card at the end of the round. I wouldn't be able to post it on my own anyway unless I wrote it down somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

You guys should also be able to adjust his handicap down based on his exceptional tournament scores.

Or, just disallow him from playing in your tournaments and be done with it.

Give the guy one warning, then post a score of par for whatever rounds he forgets to post. His memory will improve very quickly.

9 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Not that I've played in many tournaments in the short while I've been playing but, doesn't the club always post the tournament score. Mine does.

Come to think of it, they take my card at the end of the round. I wouldn't be able to post it on my own anyway unless I wrote it down somewhere else.

This is how my Men's Club does it too.  We return our scorecards to the tournament committee and they post them for the competition and for handicap right on the spot.  The official scorecards are printed out using the tournament software for each round of every tournament.  When we finish a round, the foursome gets together in the clubhouse.  Each player goes over the card that he marked and his own card to verify the hole scores, then signs his card, attests the card he marked, and they all get turned over to the committee.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My club posts tournament scores because we are required to turn our score cards in.  In Match Play events, especially if the match is one sided I'm not sure how much those scores would influence handicap.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!