IGNORED

The chipping landing "roll out" target and fly-to-roll ratio

Note: This thread is 2843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've seen several videos and read several articles of instructions (and yes, even watched the instruction on the golf channel) for chipping and there is this pretty well known rule of flying the ball about 1/3 and letting it roll the remaining 2/3 (I may have those backwards). 

So my question is actually not about that. My question is that for many, many rounds now I cannot seem to get the ball to roll out at all. I have to fly the ball at LEAST 80% and might get 10% roll (leaving 10% putt). Granted, this is with my 55 SW. But even if I play the ball on my back foot, feet very close together, and a good amount of forward shaft lean (and even flopping the ball) the freaking ball doesn't roll.

It there a smoking gun for this type of problem? Is my angle at impact or some swing mechanism generating a ton of spin that is causing the ball to stop on a dime? Or fly too high?

Alternatively, my approach shots are almost always < 12-inches from my ball mark. This can be a 4-i down to a SW. I typically can't see the ball land because my eyesight isn't stellar, so I don't know if it's hopping forward and spinning back or not. But I'm really thinking not. Not sure if one has to do with the other.

Now, the courses I play on are pretty darn soft and slow... so maybe that's just how these types of greens play? You just never see that on the PGA tour. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's simple, really, if you want the ball to roll out more, play a less lofted club.  It's not unreasonable to use a 6 or 7 iron, if the greens are slow enough that it works.  On the other hand, if you're getting good results the way you're doing it, not much reason to change. It's good to have more shots in your repertoire, so it might be a good shot to learn, even if you don't use it much.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

When you are around the green, check if you are short-sided (Very little green area between the fringe and the stick). If so, a lofted shot will generally be a good option. @DaveP043 is 100% spot on in using a less lofted club. Do it! Also, you MUST see the landing zone in your imagination. The hole is NEVER the target, you'll get too cute to 'make it happen'. Always make sure you hit the landing zone with the club you have chosen for the particular shot. The green's speed and slope should do the rest for you and hopefully steer it to the hole.

A simple rule of thumb on the average chip shot: Divide the area from the fringe to the stick in three thirds. See the imaginary lines at 33% and at 66%? When you use a less lofted club as Dave suggests, hit the first line closest to you, the one that is 33% of the way to the stick. For a more lofted club that gives less roll, hit the second line at 66%.

It's a lot easier when you chip for a landing zone on a green rather than a 'perfect' chip shot... If you can make 80% of your 6ft putts, chipping suddenly becomes a LOT easier!

• Administrator
9 hours ago, dennyjones said:

While that's a general rule of thumb… conditions can change that quite a bit, including slope, firmness/softness of greens, ball type/spin, cleanness of contact, etc.

The OP, your greens are soft. That's all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I like this, I'll have to try it out, thanks. I've basically used my SW for all green side (taller grass beyond the fringe) shots for quiet a while now and it has been pretty effective, but like I said I fly it almost all the way to the flag and it just stops. If it's on the fringe typically I'll just putt it.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Note: This thread is 2843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!