IGNORED

Posting a score for hdcp listening to music

David in FL
Note: This thread is 2435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

A prolonged period means something more than "hey listen to this new tune" and much less than playing music for hours but shutting it down for shots.

Just turning it off for shots doesn't make you safe.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

A prolonged period means something more than "hey listen to this new tune" and much less than playing music for hours but shutting it down for shots.

Just turning it off for shots doesn't make you safe.

Yeah, I wasn't entirely buying that even while I was typing it.  I certainly wouldn't use that reasoning, or accept it, for a tournament situation.  Of course, I never bring music to the golf course at any time, so it has little effect on me.  I was admittedly just looking for a reason or two to allow those non-tournament musical rounds to be posted. 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I've yet to play a round of golf with anyone who brings a boom box to play music or any other noise. If they want to use headphones that's their business. Not mine. I don't gamble... except on the 14th hole where it's a closest to the hole bet for the Lamborghini that's floating in the water hazard.

Still I would imagine how the rule were applied would depend upon what they were listening to.

No rule in golf says I can't get a song going in my head while I'm playing a round. That song can be rhythmic and can assist me in making a swing. But as long as it is in my head and not coming from an outside source it's perfectly legal. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, I wasn't entirely buying that even while I was typing it.  I certainly wouldn't use that reasoning, or accept it, for a tournament situation.  Of course, I never bring music to the golf course at any time, so it has little effect on me.  I was admittedly just looking for a reason or two to allow those non-tournament musical rounds to be posted. 

Allow them because they're just for handicaps. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, SG11118 said:

Is it illegal for a golfer to relax themselves by smoking a cigarette?  smoking a cigar?  smoking weed?  drinking alcohol?  taking drugs?  singing to themselves?  With the exception of singing to themselves, could these things could be labeled as "artificial devices".  If these things are legal per the rules of golf and the decisions of golf, I think it should be perfectly acceptable for a golfer to utilize listening to random music or talk radio (at an appropriate volume) to help relax themselves.  It may even help pass the time, be more social with their playing partners, and have a more enjoyable time.  Really, if the USGA is interested in growing the game, I think they should reconsider D14-3/17. 

I do agree with D14-3/17 that a golfer shouldn't be able to use music as an aid to improve their swing tempo.  As long as this isn't the intent of the music (or some other way to gain an unfair advantage), I really don't have a problem with posting scores under the influence of music / talk radio.

This brings up an interesting situation and question.  Why should smoking, drinking, or chewing be allowed?  We know that most people do it to relax and/or calm the nerves, so why is it allowed?  It does pose an interesting question/situation!

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Grinde6 said:

This brings up an interesting situation and question.  Why should smoking, drinking, or chewing be allowed?  We know that most people do it to relax and/or calm the nerves, so why is it allowed?  It does pose an interesting question/situation!

I don't think it's particularly interesting.

Why should drinking water or taking deep breaths be allowed? We know that many people do it to relax and/or calm the nerves.

And Tylenol, too. Let's ban that.

Because you have to draw the line somewhere. Some people smoke (and always have). A cigarette is not an artificial device in the same way a Bluetooth boombox is.

Probably that simple.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think it's particularly interesting.

Why should drinking water or taking deep breaths be allowed? We know that many people do it to relax and/or calm the nerves.

And Tylenol, too. Let's ban that.

Because you have to draw the line somewhere. Some people smoke (and always have). A cigarette is not an artificial device in the same way a Bluetooth boombox is.

Probably that simple.

I think this is a pretty ridiculous comparison.  Water and breathing are essential to living so how can you compare that to something that is an artificial device to calm the nerves.  Why is calming yourself with music any different than calming yourself with cigarettes, alcohol or chewing tobacco?  These aren't essential to life, and are proven to also calm nerves but yet they are overlooked.  

People haven't always smoked, they usually start because of stress in their lives and stress is a trigger to smoke.  It calms the nerves and if the argument is made that a boom box calms the nerves so it is not allowed I dont see how it is any different than cigarettes.  You don't need a boom box to survive the same as you don't need cigarettes, alcohol or chewing tobacco to survive.

12 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

I think this is a pretty ridiculous comparison.  Water and breathing are essential to living so how can you compare that to something that is an artificial device to calm the nerves.  Why is calming yourself with music any different than calming yourself with cigarettes, alcohol or chewing tobacco?  These aren't essential to life, and are proven to also calm nerves but yet they are overlooked.  

People haven't always smoked, they usually start because of stress in their lives and stress is a trigger to smoke.  It calms the nerves and if the argument is made that a boom box calms the nerves so it is not allowed I dont see how it is any different than cigarettes.  You don't need a boom box to survive the same as you don't need cigarettes, alcohol or chewing tobacco to survive.

The decision talks about music (or other broadcasts) potentially aiding tempo or helping to eliminate distraction, not really relaxation.  And it's based on the same rule that bans the use of ear plugs, which I think is important to consider here.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Grinde6 said:

I think this is a pretty ridiculous comparison.

The point was they had to draw the line somewhere, and it's not their position to say whether something like coffee should be against the Rules of Golf. Listening to music from your iPhone to aid your tempo is much farther along the line than any of the things you listed.

Why is calming yourself with music any different than calming yourself with cigarettes, alcohol or chewing tobacco?

I think most people would consider those to be two different points on the spectrum.

People haven't always smoked, they usually start because of stress in their lives and stress is a trigger to smoke.

It's off topic, but I don't think that's why most people start smoking… And smoking pre-dates golf. Bluetooth or even the Walkman do not.

It calms the nerves and if the argument is made that a boom box calms the nerves so it is not allowed I dont see how it is any different than cigarettes.

You don't see how smoking is any different than using an artificial device that can play back music to aid your tempo? Okay. Again, I think you're in a small group.

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

The point was they had to draw the line somewhere, and it's not their position to say whether something like coffee should be against the Rules of Golf. Listening to music from your iPhone to aid your tempo is much farther along the line than any of the things you listed.

I think most people would consider those to be two different points on the spectrum.

It's off topic, but I don't think that's why most people start smoking… And smoking pre-dates golf. Bluetooth or even the Walkman do not.

You don't see how smoking is any different than using an artificial device that can play back music to aid your tempo? Okay. Again, I think you're in a small group.

To be fair ... Smoking seems a heck of a lot closer to music on the spectrum than it does to breathing (unless you're using my an oxygen mask).  I think that was the main point of his post.  I also think we would all agree that the line has to be drawn somewhere and where it is now certainly has much reasoning behind it ... But it's easy to see how somebody could wonder how it got there.

• Administrator
Just now, Golfingdad said:

To be fair ... Smoking seems a heck of a lot closer to music on the spectrum than it does to breathing (unless you're using my an oxygen mask).  I think that was the main point of his post.  I also think we would all agree that the line has to be drawn somewhere and where it is now certainly has much reasoning behind it ... But it's easy to see how somebody could wonder how it got there.

I didn't say otherwise. The point is that the line is drawn somewhere. Smoking is on one side of the line, bluetooth on the other, and I consider the logic behind that pretty obvious.

10 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

I didn't say otherwise. The point is that the line is drawn somewhere. Smoking is on one side of the line, bluetooth on the other, and I consider the logic behind that pretty obvious.

But guys, relaxation is not a consideration in the decision - I think @Grinde6 was going off of a somewhat false premise.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, drmevo said:

But guys, relaxation is not a consideration in the decision - I think @Grinde6 was going off of a somewhat false premise.

Nope, I know that it's about tempo, but someone else had mentioned the relaxing or calming part of it...

4 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Two points:

The decision doesn't explicitly NOT consider relaxation - it just gives two different examples (eliminating distractions and promoting tempo) without excluding others.

The tangent is about the rule in general - artificial devices that might assist the player.

So it might be a hair off topic, but I don't believe it's a false premise.

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Two points:

The decision doesn't explicitly NOT consider relaxation - it just gives two different examples (eliminating distractions and promoting tempo) without excluding others.

The tangent is about the rule in general - artificial devices that might assist the player.

Are a couple of hits on a doobie considered relaxation?

7 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Two points:

Ok, I see what you're saying. But (not that it's necessarily your argument) I think to say "promoting relaxation" is waaaay too generic.  Blocking distraction and assisting with tempo are much more specific examples. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

Are a couple of hits on a doobie considered relaxation?

No.  It has to be at least four hits to be a penalty. ;)

8 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Ok, I see what you're saying. But (not that it's necessarily your argument) I think to say "promoting relaxation" is waaaay too generic.  Blocking distraction and assisting with tempo are much more specific examples. 

Makes sense. :)

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

No.  It has to be at least four hits to be a penalty. ;)

Makes sense. :)

Yeah, I can't do 4 while playing golf. 2 hits seems about right for me to still stay focused and totally relax. I can really appreciate a golf course with a slight buzz. Alcohol  does not seem to work as well for me.

Note: This thread is 2435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!