IGNORED

SW swing path..

TN94z
Note: This thread is 2811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always battled an over the top move. I have worked hard on coming from the inside out lately. While I was at the range a few weeks ago, I started hitting hosel rockets with my SW only. I figured this was a result of coming too much from the inside out with this club. So I worked on changing my swing path with this club only and started hitting it very well on the range. I also made sure I had plenty of chest turn as well.

But this leads me to the question of what is the correct swing path for the SW? Was I correct in thinking that too much inside out with the SW was the cause of my errant shots? I did search for this topic on here a couple of weeks ago but did not find anything...could have been the syntax I was using.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also have a natural over-the-top move that I have been fighting.   With a lot of help from a Zepp sensor, I have really mitigated this problem.   my first move from the top of my swing is still outside, but I have worked to make that move ever so slight.  This fix has really changed my ball flight for the better.  I am now hitting a consistent high draw, rather than an inconsistent straight/fade.   

I mention this because I have the same issue with my 50 degree and my 54 degree.   my swing path with those clubs is still over the top, (though probably not as much as it once was).   yet, I am still hitting them very consistent, with very consistent ball flight. And, as long as I am getting that, I've decided that it doesn't matter and not worth changing.  what is more important for me with those clubs is that I get myself into a good athletic position (bent at the waist), and make a good and consistent shoulder turn.   

This may or not be the right answer, or the answer that a professional will give you.   But, in my experience so recently, creating that inside to out swing path with wedges is simply not as necessary for your wedges.  certainly not as necessary as it is with a mid-iron, anyways.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 8/7/2016 at 0:39 PM, TN94z said:

I have always battled an over the top move. I have worked hard on coming from the inside out lately. While I was at the range a few weeks ago, I started hitting hosel rockets with my SW only. I figured this was a result of coming too much from the inside out with this club. So I worked on changing my swing path with this club only and started hitting it very well on the range. I also made sure I had plenty of chest turn as well.

But this leads me to the question of what is the correct swing path for the SW? Was I correct in thinking that too much inside out with the SW was the cause of my errant shots? I did search for this topic on here a couple of weeks ago but did not find anything...could have been the syntax I was using.

We can't really tell what you did wrong with those shanks without seeing your swing.  However, I try to make my swing path pretty much the same for all clubs, and that's slightly inside-out.  The set-up will change gradually through the bag, the length of the backswing may change a little, but for me it works best if I only really use one swing, all the time.  I don't think coming a bit from the inside is a problem with any club, as long as you can be consistent with it.  My best (completely uninformed ) guess is that your recent bout with the hosel-rockets was caused by the variability that always comes with a swing change.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

We can't really tell what you did wrong with those shanks without seeing your swing.  However, I try to make my swing path pretty much the same for all clubs, and that's slightly inside-out.  The set-up will change gradually through the bag, the length of the backswing may change a little, but for me it works best if I only really use one swing, all the time.  I don't think coming a bit from the inside is a problem with any club, as long as you can be consistent with it.  My best (completely uninformed ) guess is that your recent bout with the hosel-rockets was caused by the variability that always comes with a swing change.

While my answer was a bit different, I can't help but agree with this.  My preference would be for all swings with all clubs to have the same swing path.   that, obviously, will improve consistency.   But, as of now, I am just going with what works and trying not over-complicate things by changing positive results. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

6 minutes ago, lastings said:

While my answer was a bit different, I can't help but agree with this.  My preference would be for all swings with all clubs to have the same swing path.   that, obviously, will improve consistency.   But, as of now, I am just going with what works and trying not over-complicate things by changing positive results. 

And likewise, I'm not disagreeing with you.  You''re working on changing something, and the change is more effective so far in your longer clubs.  You say you're probably less over the top with your short clubs too, so its a work in progress.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I agree, a video would be needed to actually see what was happening at that time. And if it comes back, I will get that video. I'm not experiencing the same problems right now. And I agree (and know) that there really is one swing path. I was really exxaggerating the moves needed to come inside out compared to my previous swing. So, I'm thinking (along the lines of the idea you stated about swing change) that exxaggeration was carried over and I was coming too far inside out...if that's a thing?? I also believe that a lack of chest/hip turn was a probable cause. I really wish I could have gotten it on video, but I didn't. And this was two weeks ago, but I have just been thinking about what the issue could have been. The curiosity was the reason for this post. I knew, from reading all the 5sk stuff, and just everything on here in general, that the different swing path was incorrect. I just poorly chose my descriptive words, I guess. It was just confusing because any other club in my bag posed no problem. I could hit my GW and up just fine.

Bryan A

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 11:39 AM, TN94z said:

I also made sure I had plenty of chest turn as well.

I think your chest turn might be what mostly solved the hosel shots.  When you concentrate on just coming inside out there can be a tendency for the swing to continue moving out rather than around your core. (I speak from experience ).:-D 

I also had trouble with chipping getting a lot of shank shots because I was coming inside out and it was too short of a stroke to get the club back to square.  I now use a much more perpendicular swing for shorter chips and have seen a vast improvement.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

5 hours ago, metbid said:

I think your chest turn might be what mostly solved the hosel shots.  When you concentrate on just coming inside out there can be a tendency for the swing to continue moving out rather than around your core. (I speak from experience ).:-D 

I also had trouble with chipping getting a lot of shank shots because I was coming inside out and it was too short of a stroke to get the club back to square.  I now use a much more perpendicular swing for shorter chips and have seen a vast improvement.

I believe you are correct. I was having the same issue with chips as well. It mainly started with non full shots. That's what got me thinking it was a "turn" issue and started working on that.

Bryan A

On 8/9/2016 at 1:39 PM, DaveP043 said:

I gotta agree, DaveP. I think the operative phrase in the OP were the words "too much". Too much of anything can be death in a golf swing. I've caught myself at this several times when I found myself just "flipping" the wedge behind me on a pitch shot, rather than making a proper takeaway, then throwing the hosel at the ball, and shanking the shot.

That's bad enough with pitches, but that crap can sneak into the rest of your game, as it did mine! I was in a world of hurt, until I was able to see some video of my swing. There's nothing like seeing it with your own eyes! I've been around this gig long enough to recognize a good swing from a bad one. When I saw my swing on the screen I was HORRIFIED! It was awful! And all that time I thought I was doing something.

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I gotta agree, DaveP. I think the operative phrase in the OP were the words "too much". Too much of anything can be death in a golf swing. I've caught myself at this several times when I found myself just "flipping" the wedge behind me on a pitch shot, rather than making a proper takeaway, then throwing the hosel at the ball, and shanking the shot.

That's bad enough with pitches, but that crap can sneak into the rest of your game, as it did mine! I was in a world of hurt, until I was able to see some video of my swing. There's nothing like seeing it with your own eyes! I've been around this gig long enough to recognize a good swing from a bad one. When I saw my swing on the screen I was HORRIFIED! It was awful! And all that time I thought I was doing something.

Yeah, I agree with the video thing. I usually have video and I even have analyzer that I use for my swing, but I didn't have video that day unfortunately. You are correct about it sneaking into rest of the game.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 2811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!