IGNORED

Private clubs now open to the public

Note: This thread is 2945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I noticed recently that Hopewell Valley CC is open to the public, on a limited number of annual rounds basis now. There may be some other central NJ clubs doing the same, too.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, RH31 said:

The private club that I belong to is struggling a bit. They allow public play on Sunday afternoons along with the occasional scheduled outing.

The public courses around here don't get anywhere near the play they used to. One of them even pushes that foot golf agenda.

I wouldn't know how the upper end clubs are faring.

We have a local course that has been pushing the foot golf thing this year as well.

I think it depends on where you live and the demographics.  My home club is at 110% of their target membership number and has a waiting list for those seeking a full-time membership.  Weekday only memberships are available and place you at a higher priority for full-time membership.  

Joe Paradiso

10 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

I've only ever played the renovated TPC at Avenel Farms, very nice course.  I would've joined there if it was closer. Congressional Blue was awesome.  Played that back in March after getting fit for the Edel putter and wedges.

Does playing the course come with getting an Edel fitting at Congressional? :)  Because that just might seal the deal for me, since I've been thinking about it.

I did actually play the Gold course there.  It was terrific, but I'd love the chance to play the Blue.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Quite a few private, residential community, equity courses in the front range are failing (though the true high end membership courses are OK).

Several have been rescued by going muni (cities taking over management) and that has been so far a good thing for both the neighborhoods and golfers.

I suspect though, that the golf course in every open space or neighborhood that ran rampant during the last 2 decades is over.

Many of the courses built into housing developments are too costly to maintain, and frankly, have quirky layouts that are not really appealing to traditional golfers.

Those which offer the best course conditions, amenities, and rates to the pool of dedicated golfers will prosper - the rest will become dog walks.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

9 hours ago, davechen said:

Does playing the course come with getting an Edel fitting at Congressional? :)  Because that just might seal the deal for me, since I've been thinking about it.

I did actually play the Gold course there.  It was terrific, but I'd love the chance to play the Blue.

I doubt it, I had to have my pro call and see if he could get us on.  Luckily my Pro is well respected in the Mid-Atlantic and he knew the GM so he got us on for the accompanied guest rate, otherwise it's $500/round if you play without a member.   

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I wonder if the difference is between private clubs created as part of a housing development vs. those that were not.

In my area of Vancouver, BC, Canada we do not have any private clubs created as part of a housing development. There are a couple of golf courses that were created as part of a housing development (Morgan Creek and Westwood Plateau) but they were never private.

None of the private clubs in my area has gone to public play.

Edited by ay33660

In the St. Louis area, private Bogey Hills CC opens itself to non-member preview days on a few Mondays each summer. You have to make a reservation, and the deal is:

• Before 2 PM: $49.50 + lunch.
  • After 2 PM: $32.50 (no lunch)

Bogey mainly promotes this through Walters Golf Management, which runs the club.

The area's Big 4 clubs all have waiting lists, but some of the mid-level clubs have trimmed or eliminated initiation fees. Dynamic pricing now extends well beyond individual golf rounds.

It seems private country clubs often have calculated an "ideal" number of members, so that the facilities are maximized without being crowded.

The private country clubs often have tennis and swimming along with golf - and additional family activities - whereas the semi-private golf clubs normally just do golf.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!