IGNORED

Broken Finger - Best Ways to Practice?

rAMBlinman8
Note: This thread is 2787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

Brand new to this forum -- I just broke my finger and the doctor said it needs to be splinted for the next 6 weeks. Naturally, I immediately asked him about golf and he said that even if I could hold a club it would put stress on the tendons I'm trying to heal. Beyond practicing putting, anyone have any good exercises or recommendations on how to play/improve over the next six weeks?

Can we know which finger? I broke my pinky like 5 or so years ago. I had to have surgery to put pins in it so I was out about 8 weeks. After you get the splint off, biggest thing will be doing your physical therapy. I could barely hold on to anything and needed a while to even get the finger in any kind of condition to hold a golf club. 

Once I was doing okay with the therapy the doctor said golf would be a good idea because it would help to strengthen the hand to do normal things. 

To work on my game during the break I started by chipping with one hand. I would also hit into a impact bag with one hand as well. Once the cast was off I would putt, then work my way up to chipping. 

I think you should rest for a few weeks, then once the splint is off do the therapy and you can start with the one handed stuff, and then work your way up to chipping. 

Good luck.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for your post. I broke my left index finger (I'm a righty). 

Did you develop any bad habits chipping one handed? Was chipping one handed a way to work on your game or did you do it because you missed golf?

1 hour ago, rAMBlinman8 said:

Thanks for your post. I broke my left index finger (I'm a righty). 

Did you develop any bad habits chipping one handed? Was chipping one handed a way to work on your game or did you do it because you missed golf?

Left index is not bad. Depending on your grip it may not bother you at all. 

I did not develop any bad habits. I did it mostly to keep my feel up. I will admit I did miss golf, but chipping was not going to solve that problem. I wanted to play. Chipping one handed was just a way to keep my feel up. 

• Upvote 1

Michael

I say just do this: 

You can do it without any clubs.

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

It matters little which finger you broke. Take your doctor's opinion and give it a rest. 

As for drills, you could work on your set up and alignments. If the break is not on your front hand, you could work on one handed chips, and putting. Main thing is, don't use the injured hand. Let it heal properly. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 hours ago, rAMBlinman8 said:

Hey guys,

Brand new to this forum -- I just broke my finger and the doctor said it needs to be splinted for the next 6 weeks. Naturally, I immediately asked him about golf and he said that even if I could hold a club it would put stress on the tendons I'm trying to heal. Beyond practicing putting, anyone have any good exercises or recommendations on how to play/improve over the next six weeks?

Yes. Follow your doctor's orders, allow yourself to heal up, and then get back at it! Broken bones heal up stronger than they were before, if they're allowed to. Tendons are another matter! Keep stressing them and you can wind up with permanently stretched, torn, and weakened tendons.

Think about what you're asking. How can you improve when you are injured?

My advice? TAKE A BREAK!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Patch said:

It matters little which finger you broke. Take your doctor's opinion and give it a rest. 

As for drills, you could work on your set up and alignments. If the break is not on your front hand, you could work on one handed chips, and putting. Main thing is, don't use the injured hand. Let it heal properly. 

You're probably right. Just frustrating. I appreciate all the tips everyone!

Note: This thread is 2787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!