IGNORED

NHL 2016-17

iacas
Note: This thread is 2486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey @mcanadiens, I was at a wedding on Saturday and sat next to a guy who was on the 86' Stanley Cup team. It was pretty cool to talk to him about it and it reminded me that I used to love watching hockey (UNH, where I went to college, is a big hockey school). I think I'm going to have to catch some Bruins games this season!

5 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Hey @mcanadiens, I was at a wedding on Saturday and sat next to a guy who was on the 86' Stanley Cup team. It was pretty cool to talk to him about it and it reminded me that I used to love watching hockey (UNH, where I went to college, is a big hockey school). I think I'm going to have to catch some Bruins games this season!

Next time you should ask him what his name was.

2 minutes ago, drmevo said:

You can watch all the Bruin games you want, just don't root for them.

I went to BG. Don't recall our guys ever playing UNH, but they did generally have Clarkson and RPI on the non-conference slate.

So, who was it at the wedding?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

You can watch all the Bruin games you want, just don't root for them.

I went to BG. Don't recall our guys ever playing UNH, but they did generally have Clarkson and RPI on the non-conference slate.

So, who was it at the wedding?

Mike Lalor

20 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Mike Lalor

86 was just a little bit before my time, Lalor had moved on to the Caps by the time I started following the sport closely. As I recall, he was the stay-at-home type defenseman and had a nice long career. 

20 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

That is what I say, but having a lame duck as our head coach. We will be lucky to even make the playoffs. 

Who are you referencing?  The guy that took us to the 3rd round last year?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Brian W said:

Who are you referencing?  The guy that took us to the 3rd round last year?

Hitchcock is on a one-year contract and intends to retire after the season. Mike Yeo was hired as an associate and is supposed to replace Ken next season.

It's not worth worrying about in my opinion. KH generally gets decent performances out of decent players and the Blues have enough talent coming back as far as I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck to the Blues with the addition of Nail Yakupov.  He seems like a great kid, but on the ice he'll have you scratching your head and swearing at the tv a lot.   

That's if he gets to play.  I can't see he and Hitchcock meshing well.  

Corey

Austin Matthews scores hat trick in NHL debut.

And the game is still going on...

Oh wait he just scored again. First player to score 4 in his NHL debut.

I originally made a click-bait link title as a joke but this kid doesn't need gimmicks to be worth watching.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

A few thoughts after the first night. ...

- I'm afraid the Senators gave Auston Matthews the wrong idea about NHL hockey. I'm sure the league brass is giddy over the four-bagger, but I give the Blue-and-Whites no quarter. It was very Leafish to lose the game despite the exploits of the "generational talent"

- After last year's season from hell, it is very disappointing that Carey Price will miss tonight's opener with Buffalo with the flu. Then again, poor Buffalo lost Jack Eichel to a high ankle sprain in practice. 

- I know we have Blues fans on the board. Saw the last two periods of the impressive win in Chicago last night. Maybe you wanted more out of the offseason, but that's still a talented team. Jake Allen looked decent in the nets. You've got a lot to look forward to.

- With the Habs game not locally available, I'll be flipping between CBJ-BOS and Pitt-Wash tonight. CBJ did almost nothing this offseason after missing the playoffs last year. None-the-less, I'll be interested since the only NHL game I figure to attend will be Montreal's visit to Nationwide in early November. 

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

- I'm afraid the Senators gave Auston Matthews the wrong idea about NHL hockey. I'm sure the league brass is giddy over the four-bagger, but I give the Blue-and-Whites no quarter. It was very Leafish to lose the game despite the exploits of the "generational talent"

No bottom 5 team is only one player away from greatness. The Penguins won 22 games during Sydney Crosby's rookie year, despite him scoring 102 points Auston Matthews can be great and the Leafs will likely still suck.

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

- I know we have Blues fans on the board. Saw the last two periods of the impressive win in Chicago last night. Maybe you wanted more out of the offseason, but that's still a talented team. Jake Allen looked decent in the nets. You've got a lot to look forward to.

The Blues looked good, but the Blackhawks were pretty awful most of the game.

Yakupov will end up in the KHL if he keeps playing the way he does.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Go HABS Go!!

shhhh.....it's on PVR. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Eh. Who am I kidding? I did watch some of the CBJ-Bos game, but spent the entire third period watching NHL Network for updates on the Canadiens game.

Obviously the 4-1 win is the big thing. The one goal Montoya gave up was a no-faulter on his part. Danny G would have called Weber's goal a "cannonading shot". The fly in the ointment was the Shaw slew foot  with 2 seconds remaining in the game. He had scored a goal earlier and then that. This is coming off a preseason suspension, so the next ban might be significant.

I was pretty disappointed to see the CBJ collapsed in the third period against the B-Town Ruins. Hate seeing that lot win in general, but it's so much like last year for the Jackets. Large portions of highly competent play, scuttled late in the game. More of the same for the locals.

53 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I was pretty disappointed to see the CBJ collapsed in the third period against the B-Town Ruins. Hate seeing that lot win in general, but it's so much like last year for the Jackets. Large portions of highly competent play, scuttled late in the game. More of the same for the locals.

Haha!  Go B's!

Glad we played CBJ, because the first 30 minutes for the B's was some sloppy play.  For most of the game, CBJ was better on their skates and better with the puck.  But their net-front presence was poor, and they broke down hard in the 3rd.  B's early schedule = favorable.  Very.  Next up...Leafs.

Marchand was the best player on the ice.  And will be in quite a few games.  Crazy to see how good of a hockey player he's become.  And at $6.125M/yr.  Sweet.

Dude in the hot pink behind the goal on plane with the lamp should never get tickets again.  Several CBJ shots from the point that sent the camera in a quick pan brought his shirt flashing into view and me into a panic.

Go B's!  -BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

12 minutes ago, BamaWade said:

Dude in the hot pink behind the goal on plane with the lamp should never get tickets again.  Several CBJ shots from the point that sent the camera in a quick pan brought his shirt flashing into view and me into a panic.

Hilarious. You do know its Breast Cancer Awareness Month right?

Note: This thread is 2486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!