IGNORED

Match play conceded putt language?

Markcan
Note: This thread is 2773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, 

My son was playing another boy in match play. They are still learning the art of conceding or not conceding putts. My son had a 1-2 foot putt, a downhiller. I couldn't tell exactly but it seemed it was not a sure thing. The other boy I believe said "you can have that if you want it" and my son apparently said "that's ok" and proceeded to putt and miss it. Missing it meant a halved hole, making it was a won hole. 

I know if the other boy said "that is good" there is no issue here, the hole would be won by my son even if he putted. But given the language the other boy used, was it truly a conceded putt? 

The boys didn't know how to proceed, and my son said he declined the "concession" because he "felt bad accepting it". The other boy's father and I and the boys agreed to play it as a halved hole and move on with no hard feelings. Ultimately it didn't affect the match.

Any insight from the Forum on whether this was a conceded putt? Just curious. Thanks. 

• Upvote 2

I'd say the putt was conceded because the boy said "you can have it." That being said, the putt is considered holed once the concession was made, so your boy should have won that hole.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would agree with Bill. The putt was conceded. That said, I think you did the right thing. No sense in raising a stink about it in the moment, especially since it sounds like the boys are young and still getting acclimated to competitive golf. Let it slide and use it as a teaching moment with your son after the round is over. Next time it happens, he won't make the same mistake. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Big C said:

I would agree with Bill. The putt was conceded. That said, I think you did the right thing. No sense in raising a stink about it in the moment, especially since it sounds like the boys are young and still getting acclimated to competitive golf. Let it slide and use it as a teaching moment with your son after the round is over. Next time it happens, he won't make the same mistake. 

Great post.  I agree with both that it was probably technically a conceded putt, but agree moreso with how you guys handled the situation.

Thats a conceded putt. I also agree that its a great learning opportunity for competitive golf. Ive had matches were concessions were practically unspoken or are given just through body language, so it can get confusing sometimes. Especially if its passive/agressive like what you mentioned. 

4 hours ago, Markcan said:

Hello, 

My son was playing another boy in match play. They are still learning the art of conceding or not conceding putts. My son had a 1-2 foot putt, a downhiller. I couldn't tell exactly but it seemed it was not a sure thing. The other boy I believe said "you can have that if you want it" and my son apparently said "that's ok" and proceeded to putt and miss it. Missing it meant a halved hole, making it was a won hole. 

I know if the other boy said "that is good" there is no issue here, the hole would be won by my son even if he putted. But given the language the other boy used, was it truly a conceded putt? 

The boys didn't know how to proceed, and my son said he declined the "concession" because he "felt bad accepting it". The other boy's father and I and the boys agreed to play it as a halved hole and move on with no hard feelings. Ultimately it didn't affect the match.

Any insight from the Forum on whether this was a conceded putt? Just curious. Thanks. 

It was conceded, and a concession cannot be "declined".  Your son's play on that hole was finished as soon as his opponent made that statement.  He is still allowed to putt out, but it doesn't count for anything.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

While Fourputt's statement is true. In match play opponents who don't know the Rules may proceed in an otherwise agreed fashion.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Markcan, here's a little gouge for match play.     

-----------------

HOW MATCH PLAY DIFFERS FROM STROKE PLAY 

1. You may concede your opponent’s next stroke, a hole or the match at any time. A concession once made, may not be declined or withdrawn. (Rule 2-4) You may agree to halve a hole only during the play of that hole. (Decision 2-1/1.5) Opponents MAY NOT agree in advance to concede short putts. (Rule 1-3)

In stroke play, you are disqualified if you do not hole out. (Rule 3-2)

2. In doubt as to how to proceed because of uncertainty about a Rule? You have to make a decision and continue playing. If your opponent disagrees with your procedure, he MUST make a claim before starting the next hole. The Committee will resolve it later. You MAY NOT play a second ball. (Rule 2-5)

In stroke play, if you’re not sure of a Rule or procedure you may play a second ball. (Rule 3-3)

3. Did you see your opponent breach a Rule? You may SILENTLY disregard the breach, or you MUST make a claim before starting the next hole. The Committee will resolve it later. (Rule 2-5) 
Opponents MAY NOT agree to disregard a Rules breach. (Rule 1-3)

In stroke play, you MAY NOT ignore a fellow-competitor’s breach of a Rule. (Decision 33-7/9)

4. Did you give wrong information to your opponent? If it’s about the number of strokes you have taken or of any penalty strokes you have incurred, you lose the hole. (Rule 9-2)

In stroke play, corrections to your score can be made up until you sign and turn in your score card. (Rule 6-6)

5. Did you play out of turn? No penalty. Your opponent may immediately recall the stroke and require that you play in the proper order. (Rule 10-1) Opponents MAY NOT agree to play “ready golf.” (Rule 1-3)

In stroke play, there is no provision to recall a stroke. The ball is played as it lies without penalty. (Rule 10-2)

6. Did you play from outside the teeing ground? No penalty. MUST replay if your opponent immediately requires you to do so, otherwise play it as it lies. (Rules 11-4 & 11-5)

In stroke play, the penalty is two strokes. You MUST correct your mistake. (Rule 11-4)

7. Did you play a wrong ball? You lose the hole. (Rule 15-3)

In stroke play, the penalty is two strokes. You MUST correct your mistake. (Rule 15-3)

8. Did you move your opponent’s ball at any time other than during a search? One-stroke penalty to you, and the moved ball MUST be replaced. (Rule 18-3)

In stroke play, there is no penalty. The moved ball MUST be replaced. (Rule 18-4)

9. Did your ball hit your opponent or his equipment? No penalty. You may immediately cancel the stroke and replay, or play it as it lies. (Rule 19-3)

In stroke play, there is no penalty. You MUST play the ball as it lies. (Rule 19-4)

10. Did your ball hit your opponent’s ball? No penalty. You MUST play it as it lies. (Rule 19-5) The moved ball MUST be replaced. (Rule 18-5)

In stroke play, if both balls are on the putting green when this happens, there is a two-stroke penalty for the player whose putt hit the other ball. The moved ball MUST be replaced. (Rule 19-5)

11. Did you play from a wrong place? You lose the hole. (Rule 20-7)

In stroke play, the penalty is two strokes. Generally, you MUST play out the hole with the ball played from the wrong place unless you’ve committed a serious breach. (Rule 20-7)

Rules of Golf 2016 • 9/15/16

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Note: This thread is 2773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!